Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone here heard anything about the new tablet pcs (or slates if you want to call them that) that are coming out soon (HP, Dell, Lenovo, etc.). I was hoping that the newer ones would have large displays, fast processors (duo core) and lots of ram. I want to be able to run Windows 7 (all machines will do that I would imagine), Office 2007 or 2010 and be able to send and receive data that is updated on the fly. I have been waiting for a good tablet pc that can process say a spreadsheet that is linked back to your database and have data sent and received and updated on the fly and displayed scoreboard style (I would imagine that with a web based display such as dashboard from the microsoft web based program (name escapes me right now), I would be able to input my data, update the database and then have the webpage refresh once in a while to have the data all updated and in sync say every 5 minutes or so). Just a dream right now, but I want to get it working one day).

Edward

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
There is the Lenovo and the HP one. Other options are the Archos 9, viliv X70 and the Evigroup pad. The first two run Win 7 Starter Edition, the last one runs Win 7 HP. These generally all have Atom processors that you would find in a Netpad. All of these should be able to run Office but there will be some shortcomings.

You aren't going to get one of these thinks with Core2Duo CPUs because they use a lot of power - that means your battery life is dead.

What is the exact use that you want to do with such a tablet?

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
A better option for you might be one of the newer hybrid laptops with a swivel screen (that you can flip open like a book), or a detachable screen, like Lenovo's ideapad. They typically sport faster processors and more memory than a pure tablet-style device. If you work in an office environment, you'll want to stay away from Windows 7 Starter and Home.

As far as accomplishing what you want, you may need to look into 3rd party products; I'm not entirely sure if built-in components of Office 2007 or 2010 will be able to provide the complete end-to-end solution you need.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
I would be able to input my data, update the database and then have the webpage refresh once in a while to have the data all updated and in sync say every 5 minutes or so
Honestly it sounds like you are try to dig a small hole with dynamite. A small handheld device with a browser should be able to accomplish this at a far lower cost than an expensive laptop.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
I've been waiting for a slate for years that was affordable.
I believe I'm going to be waiting longer, or at least end up paying good money (but for a good product, e.g. motion, tabletkiosk, etc.)

Apple's product is quite disappointing, almost laughable for their claim of "filling the gap" and "cutting edge".. it's worse than a netbook.
I never understood why a manufacturer can't take something like this thinkpad I'm typing on, remove the keyboard, flip the screen and place it where the touchpad and keyboard are now. Add your touchscreen (which are very cheap.. don't let them fool you. Maybe $100? Essentially the cost of that keyboard and touchpad that was removed) over top et voila, slate PC.
Without the $2000+ price tag.

I guess it's just wishful thinking. Hopefully that will change in the coming years.
Anyways, Archos is on the right track (their '9' model actually runs a full operating system), but their product is still too weak (atom). I want a slate that can actually do things. And I guess that means Motion or Tabletkiosk.
I'm sort of in a catch-22, though.
The benefits of a slate would have been great over the past years as I completed my degree (writing notes, easy reading/studying, etc.) But they were so damn expensive that no student could afford it. Once I finish my degree I could probably afford to buy one, but then I'd have little use for it.

Long rambling short, I don't think you're going to get much from these "new tech" slates considering the bar that has been set.
They'll just be netbook equivalents with touch, with a full laptop price.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Have you considered the Asus eeePC T91? It is a netbook with a multi-touch screen that swivels and reverses so it can be used as a tablet (with stylus), or you can use it with the screen up and keyboard like a regular netbook. Atom cpu and runs Win7. I bought one for my nephew for christmas and he loves it.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I'm really interested in picking up the new Lenovo Ideapad U1 when it hits the market. Suggested retail is $1000 which usually means it will be available at a lower price once it's released. A laptop with a removable display that functions on it's own as a tablet seems to be a great idea to me. Of course I would not get one without actually seeing it for myself and playing with it a bit first, but it looks good from what limited information I've seen.

http://www.gizmag.com/lenovo-ideapad-u1-notebook-tablet/13783/

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
The Lenovo has a separate CPU and separate OS for the tablet functionality from what I can tell. It appears to run Win7 (although I guess you could install Linux) in laptop mode but some flavour of Linux in tablet mode. That may not work for some folks.

·
Registered
459 Posts
The HP Slate sounds the most interesting to me. There is a short info-commercial on it on the web. Don't think we'll see it for a few months though, and price to be determined.

The i-pad is great, but with the complete lack of any integration (and escpecially with no flash and camera) it's really a non starter for me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts