Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Hey,
I am looking for a cheap android phone around 200 dollars or less. I have a phone now but it is dieing on me, and I can't upgrade until January.
So I am looking at options for a new phone until then. It doesn't have to be the best phone around just no random chinese phones with resistive screens and what not.

Any ideas on what phones to look out for ? I saw the cliq on ebay for some reasonable prices, is that a good phone?

The phone would have to be a GSM android phone, used or new doesn't matter as long as it works.

-Kyle

·
Super Moderator
3,996 Posts
Bell has the Motorola Dext for $170. It's on Android 1.5, but if you root it you can install 2.1 fairly easily and it has a hardware keyboard. Personally I'd recommend the LG Optimus One from Telus though. No hardware keyboard, but it has Android 2.2 and barely any UI skinning and is only $200. Either of these will work with any of the Big 3 or their flanker brands if unlocked.

Alternatively, Mobilicity has the Motorola Spice for 189.99. It has a hardware keyboard and comes with Android 2.1. If unlocked it will also work with Wind, Rogers, Fido, or Chatr.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Which provider are you on right now? As TorontoColin touched on in his post, different phones will work on different networks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am with Rogers now, in a contract. Hence why I am looking for a GSM phone, and not a Bell or Telus cdma phone.

It doesn't have to be unlocked either, as most phones can be unlocked.

TorontoColin, do those phones from Telus and Bell have sim cards for GSM networks? and are those price bought outright no contracts? Same with the Moblicity one?

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
The phones TorontoColin mentioned are all GSM/HSPA. Telus & Bell still have their CDMA network, but all their Android (and most other smartphones) use the HSPA network

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Would a brand new LG Optimus One be better than a second hand phone around the same price?

·
Registered
140 Posts
An old thread but I'm in a similar situation thanks to one of my kids breaking their on-contract phone. Thoughts on an inexpensive replacement? He currently has a non working HTC Wildfire. I'm not wild on the HTC, my other son has one with problems. Looking for a replacement, might even consider another HTC despite the issues.

- for Bell network, don't much care if it is unlocked I guess.
- won't be activating data for his plan; he uses wifi only
- need a phone, basic apps (calendar, contacts and such)
- Android only, recent, lightweight skin if possible
- $199 or less (no contact term, he'll just use it on the existing contract) would be nice.
- not overly dorky, he is a teenager after all

He isn't eligible for an upgrade yet.

Any thoughts? Anyone seen any deals around lately?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Ended up buying a HTC Wildfire to replace the same model which broke. Best Buy had essentially the same price as Cellarama and I could walk out the door with it.

I might have chosen a different model but then there'd be cell phone angst between my teenagers. Avoidance is a good strategy as far as I'm concerned.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts