Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i don't need a ton of storage space, 5 gigs would be lots. Mostly to store/share powerpoint presentations and audio files.

I can't email anything over 10 Mb for my work so this would be my workaround.

I am not opposed to paying, but if there is a good free alternative out there I am sure the brain trust here is the place to find it.

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
Check out Live Mesh. Free 5GB of cloud space and sync between multiple devices. Otherwize Dropbox offers the same for free with 2GB.

·
Super Moderator
17,214 Posts
I have 25 GB of free storage on SkyDrive as part of my Hotmail account. You can have private or public folders and give specific permissions to individuals to view or add/delete.

·
Registered
275 Posts
SkyDrive has a 50MB per file limit, much too low in my opinion, otherwise it would be an amazing tool.

Google Docs sells 20GB blocks for $5/year. You can get URLs for each file and email them to others to share. I haven't tried creating folders (not sure if you can), but I have shared 400+ MB files though this service. You can upload max 1GB files to Google.

I use Live Mesh, my question is whether it can be used to share files to the public. Can you open up files to everyone, or do they need to be able to login to Live Mesh first?

With Dropbox, read their terms and conditions first. Anything put in the Public folder means they have rights to use that data forever (double check this, last time I read through that's what it said/how I interpreted it).

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Google Docs

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
With Dropbox, read their terms and conditions first. Anything put in the Public folder...
Well, it's called a "public" folder for a reason. It's open to the public. Just don't put anything in there. Or better yet, don't use it. Don't enable it. :confused:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts