Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used to really like Mike Lin's Startup Monitor tool. It's free, small and works really well to warn you when a software is setting itself as auto-start on your machine. However, it hasn't been updated in years and doesn't fully support Win7.

I'm trying to find an equivalent freeware tool that supports Win7, but it's either full of spyware, doesn't do what it advertises, isn't free, etc. I just want something as simple and small as Mike Lin's tool.

Anybody found such a gem for Win7?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Revo Uninstaller (Freeware & PRO) has an Autorun Manager Tool. The PRO version
supports Win7 (not sure about the freeware version). My freeware version uses
6.3 MB of hard disk space.

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
But it's just a manager tool. What I'm looking for is a monitor tool that will popup with a warning the second something sets itself as autostart. There are many other free tools that other free autostart managers (like the SysInternal tools), but it's an active monitor that is hard to find.

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
I use WinPatrol. Highly recommended!

WinPatrol's Host-based Intrusion Prevention System (HIPS) takes snapshot of your critical system resources and alerts you to any changes that may occur without your knowledge. WinPatrol was the pioneer in using a heuristic behavioral approach to detecting attacks and violations of your computing environment. It continues to be the most powerful system monitor for its small memory footprint.

WinPatrol's easy tabbed interface allows you to explore deep inside your computer without having to be a computer expert. A one-time investment in WinPatrol PLUS provides a unique experience you won't find in any other software.
There is a free version as well as a "PLUS" version.

http://www.winpatrol.com/

1 - 5 of 5 Posts