Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently with rack9 and the support has been nothing short of awful. I have an elastix server up and running in the office, and i basically pay for 3 numbers and a toll free number each month, and then am billed by how much we use the lines. We have about 10 extensions on avaya phones, and everything is setup just the way we like it.

Basically looking to point my elastix server at another reliable provider that offers the same pricing structure but will on the rare occasion provide support when needed, in a timely and professional manner. I don't really care who the money goes to, so if anyone out there can recommend someone who deserves it, let me know. Our service has now been down for an entire day and I am not sure if or when it will come back.

·
Registered
877 Posts
I believe Elastix is (among other things) an Asterisk distro, right? If so, VoIP.ms would be an excellent choice for you. Their pricing structure is also pay-as-you-go. Their rates are competitive (though I don't know how they compare to Rack9.)

One thing you may find useful about VoIP.ms is that they have points of presence in many cities, and you can choose which one you would like to use. In the unlikely event that a PoP should go down, you can configure your device to use another one automatically.

A great deal of us here on the forums have been using VoIP.ms and have been very pleased. Do let us know how you make out.

m.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just want to say thanks.

I have to mention that the support I got from voip.ms was above and beyond anything I could have expected. Their support guy spent a good 2 hours helping me reconfigure my elastix server and my aastra phone, explaining what the hell a trunk is, what a route is, what a DID is. In the end he couldn't solve my problem but he empowered me with enough knowledge that i was eventually able to solve this on my own, and now my voip is back up and running, with failover between two providers both incoming and outgoing.

voip.ms at least in this situation, was awesome.

·
Registered
9 Posts
VOIP in Saskatchewan

Hello,

I am looking for the best cheapest and reliable Voip provider with Saskatchewan numbers. I know Vonage has some Saskatoon and Regina numbers but I would like to keep my existing number where I live just outside Saskatoon and Vonage does not offer this yet. I would have to get a new number which isn't the end of the world but would really like to keep my current one.

Does anyone know who else is out there or offer me any suggestions ??? my current landline is with Sasktel and is a 306-947-XXXX number.

Thanks

·
Registered
520 Posts
How about magic jack? I've heard farely postive comments about them. I'm currently using Vonage, but I'm in ontario too.

Just wanted to add: When Vonage was first introduced in Canada, they're service wasn't always up, but they were always working hard to put it back up. Now; it seems like it's always up. I'm very happy with it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
looking for voip providers

Small biz owner currently with Vonage (Toronto area code) has 2 Cisco SPA941 4-line IP Phones and am looking to switch to a voip provider.

Also: I have a 1-877 ph# through another service. Would be great to be able to have extensions (pbx) as well.

Anyone have recommendations?

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
why do you want to switch?

If you review this forum, I think you'll find Vonage is well regarded. For DIY'ers with some tech savvy, VoIP.ms seems to be a fan favourite.

I've used both and can recommend them both.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Problem is that we currently have only one line in use and two IP Phones that are not being used. We use another service (Grasshopper) for vmailboxes, extensions and forwarding and were hoping there was a provider who could provide a decent all-in solution.

When we started this process I thought there'd be several vendors that could help - as there are many low-cost providers in the States - but it became apparent that the Canadian landscape is a different beast.

·
Registered
877 Posts
You may wish to investigate a provider called AcroVoice. They're based in Victoria. We just started using them for some services at the office and I have been delighted. I have actually been corresponding with their CEO Trev for many years. He has a serious amount of knowledge about VoIP and I'm sure would be delighted to help you.

AcroVoice is a full-service provider in that they will pre-configure everything for you so that things will "just work," no tinkering necessary. Unlike (as far as I know) Vonage they will support IP phones. As Hugh mentioned, for the DIYer, VoIP.ms is also an excellent choice.

I encouraged Trev to join this forum (his handle is AV Trev) in hopes that he'd share some pearls of wisdom with us. Hopefully he'll stop by this thread and say hello.

m.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Try hostpbx.us to host Asterisk, FreePBX only $19.99 one month

I use hostpbx.us to host Asterisk Server, they do the installation and setup for you only $19.99 one month.

Now I have one delicated ip, so I can register my grandstream phone anywhere.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts