Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to add a coax (RG6) to my theater room for the new (Shaw Direct) PVR. Problem is this house has a competely finished basement. I've explored every posibility on how to get this cable to the room and have come to the conclusion that it will have to go out through the basement wall, over the roof and into the basement on the opposite side of the house. There is no way to fish it through the house (from the multiswitch).

My question is how long can you run RG6 without a noticeable loss of picture quality? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
409 Posts
if you're using a high quality rg6 cable with low loss then it shouldn't matter. many high quality rg6 cables have very minimal loss over distances of 300ft.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm using Phillips RG6 quad shield that I pick up at a very reasonble price. Would this be a decent cable?

·
Registered
292 Posts
over the roof....tsk tsk... there's no way you can go around the house?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes I could go around the house, but would it be ok if the cable lays on the ground. Its not possible to go around the roof line due to differing stories on the house.

Appreciate any suggestion. Thanks.

·
Registered
292 Posts
What type of siding is on the house? I just can't see why you can't attach it to the bottom of the house somewhere and go around, please clarify.
Is this a brick building?

·
Registered
292 Posts
I don't know a thing about stucco, if you cant drill some cable clamps to it and run the cable around then you could use burryable cable and bury it 2" and run around your house.
I'm not saying you can't go over your roof.....it's just not something i would do.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Running the cable over the roof is not a good idea. For one, it increases the possibility of static discharges being picked up and damaging equipment. Up the wall and through the attic would be a little better. It would likely run it through the basement and conceal it with molding or raceway where it couldn't be fished.

·
Registered
638 Posts
For stucco. go around bottom of house line, you can use screw cable clamps and plastic drywall anchors to support the screws into the stucco. Drill the holes, insert anchor and tighten screw = solid support for cable run.
Good luck

·
Registered
520 Posts
Screwing cable clips into stucco isn't the issue, its the visibility of the cable/s. It's not like there's a mortar line you can run over to cable the cable run a cleaner look. I'd zip tye the cable in the eavesdrop (easiest), or shove the cable in the corner between the roof overhand and stucco.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Bury it along side edge of foundation, I would go so far as to use conduit. If conduit, you don't even need to bury it, just throw a little dirt over it. Run multiple lines for future proofing - you said you had a good deal on the cable. If you go roof, you will think how you should have buried every time you see it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks guys, and I'm convinced not to go over roof for the reasons given.

One question does come to mind, though. Aren't the cables running from the dish (on the roof) susceptable to the same problems?

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
I don't recommend putting the dish on the roof either.

·
Registered
6 Posts
buried cable

If you wan to bury it, they make flooded cable for direct burial. Normally anything over 150' we use RG11

·
Registered
292 Posts
well i'm assuming tho you're dish is on the roof it's not on the top of your roof?
if you have a flat roof and the dish is already there......well.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts