Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
I had similar issues. I solved them by simply moving my hub forward on my TV stand. Haven't had a problem since.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Great..buy a company and over the years screw it up. I cannot understand not keeping at least the basic products alive. What alternatives are there?

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
Anyone have experience with an IPhone and IR Blaster and Remote App. Looks like s cheap solution if it works?

·
Registered
9,484 Posts
Logitech customers screwed again by Harmony. That makes almost a thousand dollars of products here that have been discontinued and have slowly deteriorating support from Logitech and some (such as the Squeezebox Radio) that rely on the generosity of third parties to provide updates.

I've noticed that the build quality of many Logitech products has deteriorated significantly over the past few years as well. Things like handheld remotes, mice and keyboards don't seem to work as well or last as long and prices have gone up significantly in the past year. The one exception is probably the Harmony Companion remote. I am impressed by both the build quality and innovation. Now it has been discontinued after being on the market for a relatively short time.

The Squeezebox Radio is another product with excellent build quality but is gradually losing features, third party support and reliability due to being discontinued (after being renamed and having its software castrated.) The sad part is that these were products developed and brought to market by innovative, independent companies that no longer exist and whose products are no longer available due to being consumed by a company who now considers them insignificant to its bottom line. I just hope there will be an affordable, usable solution once the Harmony remotes I now own wear out or fail.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Logitech customers screwed again by Harmony.
Logitech says different, but you will probably turn out to be right.

From the link Mike posted:
We expect no impact to our customers by this announcement. We plan to support our Harmony community and new Harmony customers, which includes access to our software and apps to set up and manage your remotes. We also plan to continue to update the platform and add devices to our Harmony database. Customer and warranty support will continue to be offered.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
ExDilbert is most certainly bang on. Do not worry we will continue... How many times have I seen that followed by layoffs and "unfortunately...."
At current prices I have no idea how it can be unprofitable.

·
Registered
9,484 Posts
My main concern is what will happen when the handheld remote wears out. It seems to be a bit better made than the IR remotes like the One or 650 but if it's like them it work well for only about 2-3 years. I expect the hub itself will keep working for many more years. I purchased the Harmony Companion, in part, because the handheld remote seemed to be available as a separate replacement. I know I could use a smartphone, and do for accessing extended functions, but that's not what I paid for or wanted. I doubt Logitech will supply replacement parts out of warranty.

I'm not as concerned about device support as long as new devices can be programmed manually. I don't know how Logitech keeps their database updated but it could be done using information supplied by manufacturers or even users. If the software is not kept up to date, as has happened before, that could cause gradual loss of support for new devices and functionality for reasons other than database maintenance.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
My main concern is what will happen when the handheld remote wears out. It seems to be a bit better made than the IR remotes like the One or 650 but if it's like them it work well for only about 2-3 years. I expect the hub itself will keep working for many more years. I purchased the Harmony Companion, in part, because the handheld remote seemed to be available as a separate replacement. I know I could use a smartphone, and do for accessing extended functions, but that's not what I paid for or wanted. I doubt Logitech will supply replacement parts out of warranty.

I'm not as concerned about device support as long as new devices can be programmed manually. I don't know how Logitech keeps their database updated but it could be done using information supplied by manufacturers or even users. If the software is not kept up to date, as has happened before, that could cause gradual loss of support for new devices and functionality for reasons other than database maintenance.
I just tried my Samsung S7 as the remote with my Hub using the Android software. Worked great. Actually easier to use, because of the graphics. I'd be surprised they'd discontinue support. The keyboard business, both Windows and iOS keyboards, has no real competition. At the very worst, someone else may buy that portion of the company, but yeah, with their argument being that people are using streaming devices, many which operate via Bluetooth and not IR, that kinda limits the Hub's scope, doesn't it?

·
Registered
9,484 Posts
with their argument being that people are using streaming devices, many which operate via Bluetooth and not IR, that kinda limits the Hub's scope, doesn't it?
The hub support devices that use IR, wifi and bluetooth. It also supports bluetooth devices like mice and keyboards, and home automation devices. In short, it's a next generation universal remote that eclipses anything Logitech made before it. The Chromecast with Google TV comes with a bluetooth remote and the hub controls it flawlessly. It also works with my LG TV and other devices such as Sonos speakers using wifi. That's why I'm surprised that it was discontinued.

Maybe part of the problem is that Logitech did not promot the Harmony Hub in the correct ways. I owned one for a year before I obtained any media devices that use bluetooth and wifi control. That's when I became aware of those capabilities. On the other hand, CEC and smartphone apps are replacing some universal remote control functions but they still aren't as easy to use or as universal as an activity based remote, at least not yet. The other competitors are voice based devices, apps and remotes but they aren't universal yet. I'd rather not use voice based devices anyway. The privacy implications are much larger than most people realize.

I'd be shopping for another, or two, right now.
Started looking 6 months ago. I figured I could wait a while to see if they became available. Buying a Harmony Companion and selling the new hub on it's own seemed like it might be a possible option. I now suspect that Harmony stopped making remotes early to mid 2020 and purposefully kept quiet about it. Stock started getting low about Black Friday but I thought it was just a temporary supply issue. Judging from the recent announcement, it wasn't.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
It's pretty surprising that they couldn't make a decent profit off the line as the build quality was always pretty shoddy (at least for the IR line) and replacements had to be continually bought.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
It's pretty surprising that they couldn't make a decent profit off the line as the build quality was always pretty shoddy (at least for the IR line) and replacements had to be continually bought.
Agreed - I’m on my third 700 in six years. Have you seen a remote for a Fire Smart TV, or Android Smart TV? They don’t even have numbers anymore. Only Sony seems to make a full, proper remote. What’s surprising is that Logitech didn’t invest any time in creating a streaming remote that was simpler, but better. That would involve voice input, as Roku, FireTV and Google devices now do.

·
Registered
9,484 Posts
That pres release makes Logitech look ridiculous. It's basically, "Sales are booming so let's start discontinuing popular products because they are a small segment of our business." That's shortly after creating the Harmony Hub that opens up new market segments such as home automation integration and control. The irony is that I've decided to stop buying Logitech keyboards due to sharp price increases for keyboards, and seemingly lower build quality and shorter longevity on the last Logitech keyboard I replaced. When the time comes, I'll be looking at alternatives for a new mouse for similar reasons. I was looking for another Harmony Companion and a spare handheld unit but it looks like that won't be happening due to high prices and lack of general availability. There are a few on eBay at about a 50% premium over retail. I won't pay that. Refurbished is out of the question due to my experience with refurbished Harmony Ones after they were discontinued.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
That pres release makes Logitech look ridiculous. It's basically, "Sales are booming so let's start discontinuing popular products because they are a small segment of our business." That's shortly after creating the Harmony Hub that opens up new market segments such as home automation integration and control. The irony is that I've decided to stop buying Logitech keyboards due to sharp price increases for keyboards, and seemingly lower build quality and shorter longevity on the last Logitech keyboard I replaced. When the time comes, I'll be looking at alternatives for a new mouse for similar reasons. I was looking for another Harmony Companion and a spare handheld unit but it looks like that won't be happening due to high prices and lack of general availability. There are a few on eBay at about a 50% premium over retail. I won't pay that. Refurbished is out of the question due to my experience with refurbished Harmony Ones after they were discontinued.
Best Buy is your best bet, as they’d deliver anywhere in Canada, and their retail price is fixed. As far as Logitech keyboards - I have three, all over five-years-old, and no problems. My solar one is great. Same for their mice. Sadly, as amazing as the Harmony remotes are, we who use them are indeed a tiny demographic. Tiny. I’m hoping they are true to the press release, and continue the database and adding devices to said base. The fact my wife can say “Alexa, turn on Shaw Direct”, and four devices interact to produce a result is still superb.
I think they decided they didn’t want to fund voice-control any further than links to Google Assistant or Amazon, which they’d have to do going forward. All devices are deleveloping voice control now. People are too lazy to learn complex remotes.
And most of them have a tv with attached soundbar, nothing more...

·
Registered
9,484 Posts
Best Buy sold out of Harmony Companions months ago and stopped listing them. There are a few marketplace sellers with IR remote refurbs at inflated prices.

I think you hit the mark when it comes to voice recognition being a Harmony remote killer. Including Amazon and Google voice support in the hub would be a major issue for a competitor like Logitech. Not doing so means a shrinking market share. Speakers with voice control seem to be the new pervasive device. Even TV sound bars are including it. Unfortunately, voice recognition is like face recognition or DNA profiling. It can be used for good or bad. It is a powerful tracking device that should not be in the hands of a handful of the most globally powerful individuals that can potentially derail democracies, bankrupt countries or cause global anarchy. So far, those people have been focused on developing technology and building enormous wealth, with some economically and socially negative side effects, but that could change when company control or ownership changes hands.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Best Buy sold out of Harmony Companions months ago and stopped listing them. There are a few marketplace sellers with IR remote refurbs at inflated prices.

I think you hit the mark when it comes to voice recognition being a Harmony remote killer. Including Amazon and Google voice support in the hub would be a major issue for a competitor like Logitech. Not doing so means a shrinking market share. Speakers with voice control seem to be the new pervasive device. Even TV sound bars are including it. Unfortunately, voice recognition is like face recognition or DNA profiling. It can be used for good or bad. It is a powerful tracking device that should not be in the hands of a handful of the most globally powerful individuals that can potentially derail democracies, bankrupt countries or cause global anarchy. So far, those people have been focused on developing technology and building enormous wealth, with some economically and socially negative side effects, but that could change when company control or ownership changes hands.
I'm not sure I understood what you said. My Harmony Hub is integrated into Google Home and Alexa.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts