Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 880 finally died and I can't seem to find any stock of 650, 665, 700? Please don't tell me Logitech got out of this wonderful business?!

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have the Harmony Companion with hub and cell app.
It was $89. at Best Buy about twice a year.

Now Best Buy only has refurbished but Logitech has the Companion for $149 and temporarily out of stock.

Maybe Alexa took over?

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
HARMONY COMPANION
Simple home control for entertainment and smart devices
$149.99
BUY NOW
At site

·
Administrator
465 Posts
There have been lots of rumors that Logitech is getting out of Harmony but nothing concrete yet. Logitech is aware of the rumors and has done nothing to refute them and calm their fanbase.

·
Registered
9,484 Posts
I noticed high prices and lack of availability Black Friday and it has been intermittent since. I had waited for the usual Black Friday sales but they didn't happen. Ended up paying full price for a Harmony Companion. (I recommend the Harmony Companion over the standard IR remotes for a number of reasons.) I ended up with a couple of 650s for sale but found they were difficult to sell despite the lack of availability and high prices elsewhere.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I noticed high prices and lack of availability Black Friday and it has been intermittent since. I had waited for the usual Black Friday sales but they didn't happen. Ended up paying full price for a Harmony Companion. (I recommend the Harmony Companion over the standard IR remotes for a number of reasons.) I ended up with a couple of 650s for sale but found they were difficult to sell despite the lack of availability and high prices elsewhere.
The Harmony Companion is easily the best remote I have ever owned. Real buttons, right size, controls everything (almost). I bought another one last year in case they were discontinued.

Mr.6

·
Registered
9,484 Posts
@Mr.6, Have to agree on all those points. The tactile feedback on the Companion remote is so much better than the 650 or 665. The lack of backlighting is the only issue I have but the build quality compensates for that. I find that overloading the buttons with short and long presses is a nice feature. It almost doubles the number of available functions while keeping the remote compact. Being able to put alternate keys or macros on long presses is nice. The hub itself is a major upgrade due to the ability to replace IR, wifi and bluetooth remotes (not just IR) plus it handles smart home devices.

·
Registered
76 Posts
There have been lots of rumors that Logitech is getting out of Harmony but nothing concrete yet. Logitech is aware of the rumors and has done nothing to refute them and calm their fanbase.
Seems they have 3 months ago.

Ralph
  • 3 months ago

Hi deldrago,

Thank you for writing to us with your concern!

Firstly, I'd like to apologize for the confusion or misunderstanding that have been caused due to the Reddit post.

Please be informed that, we are continuing manufacturing and support of Harmony. The stock levels is likely due to distribution and logistics, but customer support is not able to confirm.

We appreciate your patience and understanding with us!

Best regards,
Ralph

·
Registered
60 Posts
@Mr.6, Have to agree on all those points. The tactile feedback on the Companion remote is so much better than the 650 or 665. The lack of backlighting is the only issue I have but the build quality compensates for that. I find that overloading the buttons with short and long presses is a nice feature. It almost doubles the number of available functions while keeping the remote compact. Being able to put alternate keys or macros on long presses is nice. The hub itself is a major upgrade due to the ability to replace IR, wifi and bluetooth remotes (not just IR) plus it handles smart home devices.
Backlighting was an issue for me as well but once you start using the remote after a certain period of time, you know where the buttons are. They are easy to find.

Regarding smart home devices, I love sitting in my chair and dimming the lights when using the TV and turning the lights on when done.

Mr.6

·
Registered
272 Posts
This is from Wirecutter.com:

In early 2021, rumors began swirling that Logitech is discontinuing its entire Harmony remote lineup, due to low-stock issues around the holidays and this Reddit post. We reached out several times to Logitech about this rumor and have not received any response. Logitech did respond back in December to a customer-support inquiry to say that the line is still being manufactured, and all our Harmony picks are in stock at some retailers—although availability appears to be low and unstable. We will continue to monitor this, and we are evaluating (and re-evaluating) some other remotes in case it proves to be true.

·
Registered
376 Posts
My 880 finally died and I can't seem to find any stock of 650, 665, 700? Please don't tell me Logitech got out of this wonderful business?!
That 880 was bullet proof, only issue was charging dock contacts ( then they magnetized them to fix that ). I too now own the companion, great remote overall spend a little more and get it with the hub.

·
Registered
9,484 Posts
It was like that around Black Friday as well and intermittently since. Several Harmony remotes have been discontinued in the last year but the 665, Hub, Hub Companion and Elite remain. I recommend the Hub Companion since it provides the most functionality, best ease of use and best value for the money.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I picked up two Harmony 650s at The Source last week at $69 each on clearance.
They are mainly in store so you may have to search.

·
Registered
9,484 Posts
I see The Source has the 665 on sale for $70 as well but there is no online stock and only one store shows up as having them in stock, about a 20 minute drive from here. Best Buy is selling refurbished 665s for $89. Following their usual misinformation tactics, Best Buy is claiming a $111 savings. The full retail price for the 665 is $100, not $200 as Best Buy is suggesting. A refurbished 665 is probably worth about $50. The typical street price for a new 665 was $70-$90 a year ago. The Black Friday price was as low as $50 prior to 2020.

The Harmony Companion is also on sale at The Source for $130. There are none online and the nearest store with stock is a 2 hour drive away. The retail price is $200 with a typical street price of about $150. The typical Black Friday price was $100 prior to 2020. Best Buy doesn't even have a listing for the Harmony Companion but they had them last year.

Logitech may be experiencing production delays the global semiconductor chip shortage which is affecting everything from smartphones to automobile production. At the wholesale level, commonly used chips are in short supply and are selling for up to twice their pre-pandemic prices.

What you need to know about the global chip shortage

Chip Shortage Fears Are Reaching New Heights, But Some Foresee a Glut

The bottom line, don't panic. Wait for supply to catch up with demand and prices to fall. That could take several months.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My original hi. With remote has been acting up lately. Significant delay at power on/off all activities. Otherwise the remote still works.
I have been trying to get support, which has not been available. As a result I am trying to purchase a new harmony companion. Not a chance. All local retailers tell me that Logitech is no longer manufacturing harmony remotes. I’ve been to small shops and larger box stores, all have the same story. I reached out to Logitech directly, they stated “we cannot confirm if the product has been discontinued” clearly there is no stock or availability through Logitech directly and they told me there is no roadmap for current models, no updates or replacement products on the horizon. I am pretty confident the harmony remote is dead.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts