Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Logitech this week announced two new entry level Harmony universal remotes which can replace up to five other remotes in your home theatre.

The new Harmony 600 and Harmony 650 remotes will arrive later this month in the United States and in Canada sometime in April.

Both remotes feature on-click buttons for common activities and both can be programmed through the My Harmony site to work with the devices in your home theatre.

The 600 and 650 are essentially the same device except for the screen. The Harmony 600 has a monochrome backlit screen while the 650 has a colour screen, which lets you see icons for your favourite channels as well as the commands you need for the devices you’re using.

Logitech says the 600 will sell at independent retailers for a suggested selling price (SRP) of $119 while the 650 will sell in big box retailers for a SRP of $129.

·
Registered
14 Posts
So the 650 is basically just a 700 with support for one less device and isn't rechargable.

All for $60 less. I think the 700 is a better remote to get simply because its' rechargable. My 700 chews through a fully charged set of batteries in about a week.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
The 600 and 650 use 2 AA batteries. They should be able (I hope) to use rechargeable NiMH batteries. I get about 50 days with 4 AAA 800 mAh NiMH (Rayovac Hybrid) rechargeable batteries in my old 680.

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
I think the 700 is a better remote to get simply because its' rechargable.
But try to find a replacement battery... It's a whole new set of problems. I had to use eBay to order a replacement battery from China for my 880. Logitech does not and will not sell those to Canadians. I called many different Logitech numbers and got lots of different excuses.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
But try to find a replacement battery... It's a whole new set of problems. I had to use eBay to order a replacement battery from China for my 880. Logitech does not and will not sell those to Canadians. I called many different Logitech numbers and got lots of different excuses.
What?! How does that make any sense? :confused:

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
Logitech sent me links to BestBuy and Amazon for replacement batteries, but they were all US links. Eventually, they acknowledge that they don't sell parts to Canadians. I need a new battery door for my remote (my wife dropped it on the floor too many times) and Logitech won't sell parts in Canada. Only in the US.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Logitech won't sell parts in Canada. Only in the US.
That just boggles the mind. Fingers crossed my 880 doesn't need any parts!

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
Let's not get too sidetracked into a discussion about parts for an 880 (or One or other high-end Logitech remotes). Generally speaking, $120 appliances are pretty disposable these days as opposed to repairable.

It's nice to see Logitech introducing inexpensive remotes. At these price points, these really look to be excellent value (something that, in my opinion, is not the case with the 880 and above).

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
The point is that it is actually a good thing that the new 600 and 650 take standard batteries. I love my other 628 for that. I don't need to worry about replacing a proprietary battery that is very hard to find.

·
Registered
849 Posts
I'm still waiting for the 'official' Cdn release of the 650.

I do see it at BestBuy/FutShop but it is not on Cdn Logitech site yet and I have a 50% off loyalty coupon that can only be used via Logitech Cda.

Anyone out there with potential dates?

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
It's nice to see Logitech introducing inexpensive remotes. At these price points, these really look to be excellent value (something that, in my opinion, is not the case with the 880 and above).
I don't see these as good price points. I paid $160 for an 880 and H1' are available for under $200. (I just paid $140 for a refurb.) If the 600 and 650 get discounted by 40%, that would be a comparatively good price point. Even then, once you add batteries (and battery charger), it's not much of a deal.

Logitech won't sell parts in Canada. Only in the US.
IMO, That's close to criminal. There was once a law that mandated the sale of replacement parts by manufacturers. Don't think that applies here but batteries (even rechargeable ones) are a consumable that needs to replaced.

Logitech says the 600 will sell at independent retailers for a suggested selling price (SRP) of $119 while the 650 will sell in big box retailers for a SRP of $129.
I don't see the point of selling a monochrome model with such a small price difference. It doesn't make sense from a manufacturing or distribution point of view. Extra models with such a small differentiation just drive up costs and cause confusion.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts