Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I purchased a Logitech MK270 full-size wireless combo consisting of a Logitech M185 mouse and a Logitech K270 keyboard in June of 2019. I have been able to use this combo flawlessly on several Windows systems, a Chrome OS laptop and a PS4 until recently when the non-unifying USB receiver that came with it suddenly died. After changing the batteries, trying other USB ports and other systems proved to be fruitless, a call to Logitech support was in order.

Since the MK270 combo has a three year warranty, Logitech sent me out a new non-unifying USB receiver. They told me this would have to subsequently be paired with my keyboard and mouse using the Logitech Connection Utility in order for everything to work with it.

After downloading and trying every version of the Logitech Connection Utility software from their website and running each in administrator and regular mode on several different Windows systems, I am always greeted with the same error message:

The device you are trying to pair is not compatible. Please use the receiver that came with your device.

Since this taking the advice given in this message will obviously not work, I am still left without the ability to either use or pair my MK270 combo. :confused:

A followup call to Logitech proved to be useless as they were completely clueless as to what a solution to the problem was. I thought they might have accidentally sent me a Unifying receiver that was incompatible with the peripherals in this combo but after reviewing all the relevant serial numbers they assured me I had the right replacement receiver.

Does anyone have any insight or suggestions for something I may have overlooked as to what could resolve this issue?

I will add that the replacement USB receiver that was sent to me has an orange colored band around it while the original receiver is all black and has no such band (if that makes a difference). Also, there are absolutely no indications of the Logitech Unifying compatible mark (the snowflake or asterisk in an orange dot) to be found anywhere on the keyboard, mouse or replacement receiver.

Thank you very much in advance for any assistance you may be able to provide.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the suggestion, Bplayer.

It hadn't even occurred to me to request this option.

It's still driving me batty that I cannot get the new replacement receiver to pair though. One would think that Logitech would include the ability to un-pair peripherals in their software for occasions when when an error like this occurs. This way it would be like the peripherals starting out fresh.

·
Registered
8,591 Posts
I'd also suggest calling Logitech again and accelerating the issue to a higher level of support. It sounds like the people reached so far may not fully understand the issue. It also sounds like the wrong USB dongle was sent.

At some point it would be wise to evaluate the best course of action. Shipping to the US and some parts of Canada can cost almost as much as buying a new mouse and keyboard combo. Then there is the time and effort. It may not be worth shipping the items back to Logitech.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for your insight, ExDilbert.

To answer your question, yes the new replacement dongle is indeed recognized by Windows in device manager. The original dongle was previously but isn't any longer as it's completely dead.

·
Registered
8,591 Posts
Some wireless devices have reset buttons or pairing buttons. It might be worth taking a look for those on the keyboard and mouse. After that I would call Logitech again.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have logitech setpoint software installed. On the last page is a unifying tool telling me I have a unifying receiver and a button to "open unifying software" then a page to
" Plug it. Forget it. Add to it.

You are now ready to use your Logitech® Unifying receiver.

And you can pair up to six compatible wireless mice, keyboards, and other devices with one single Logitech Unifying receiver.
Learn more >> then a page to switch off then on the on/off switches.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have thoroughly inspected both the outside of the mouse and keyboard as well as inside their battery compartments and can confirm no such buttons are present.

Out of curiosity, I also installed the Logitech Unifying App from the Chrome web store on a Chromebook and when I put the replacement dongle in the USB port, it immediately told me this was not a unifying USB receiver.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There are on/off buttons on both the mouse and keyboard but I'm referring to any type of reset or pairing buttons that ExDilbert mentioned.

What I find interesting is in the link to the pdf of the setup guide for the MK270 combo you included, they specifically show the USB receiver as being unifying. The copyright date for it is 2012, so now I'm even more baffled.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
$29CDN on Amazon. I see there are no connection buttons just on off. Get "angry" and "demand" :) a complete set. They are just being cheap and wasting everybodies time.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Usually, the Logitech Unifying devices don’t have a Pair button.

Instead, they allow pairing when they power on for a short amount of time. That’s why the software asks you to turn them on.

Ed7789
Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm starting to think they did indeed send me the wrong replacement receiver for this combo. I will try to get through to their customer service line today and tell them what I think the issue may be and first request a replacement unifying receiver be sent out to try and resolve the issue. Depending on how they respond, I may very well get angry and demand a whole new set instead.

I think I picked up this set for only $24.95 at BB and it annoys me I might have to recycle it in favor of a whole new one when it was working completely fine prior to the dongle dying. Oh well, a new working set is better than a broken one under any circumstances.

·
Registered
8,591 Posts
With a little luck the used keyboard and mouse as well as the new keyboard and mouse might work with the USB dongle from a new set. That dongle should last long enough to outlast two sets of keyboards and mice.

·
Registered
5 Posts
There is more thing that you can try first. In the connection utility, Go back to the Welcome screen and click Advanced. This action will bring you to a new window, here select Pair a New Device.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts