Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son decided to try to figure out my unlock pattern on my phone and locked the phone completely.

Now the only screen I can get to is a "Too many pattern attempts!"
and a request to entry

User name (email)
Password

I assume this is my gmail information but when I enter this information it doesn't recognize my information.

Any suggestions on what to do?

Any thoughts on how to factory reset a Bell Samsung Galaxy S Vibrant phone?

In short ... HELP!!

·
Super Moderator
11,129 Posts
Are you entering your full email address or just the part before the @?

I just read that you can try to use the word "null" for password. Seems odd they would allow a security hole like that. But worth a try.

If you try this you are on your own.

1. Turn off your Galaxy.
2. Hold volume_down+call+power button.
3. After boot, press menu button to start recovering.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok ... so weird story but hopefully it can help someone else. Or help me if I screw this all up again.

1) contacted Bell and was given the same reset key sequence to try. Figured out how to actually use the key sequence. Which is power off the phone. Hold <volume up> <power> <home> keys at the same time. When the Samsung screen appears release the <power> key (or else you'll end up in a soft power reset loop). This will bring up the boot menu.

2) from the boot menu you can select options to factory reset/clear data (something like that ... its the 3rd option) or clear cache (4th option). This brings you to a menu with a bunch of NO options and a YES option.

3) a dos like sequence scrolled through and brought me back to the first menu.

4) rebooted the phone and ended up at the same uid/pass screen that still wouldn't work.

5) called my phone and was able to get to various menu options. From here I was able to get to a main screen and then select the menu key. Choose Settings, Privacy then Factory Reset.

6) go through the 'are you sure' options

7) phone rebooted and I'm back in business.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Luckily your phone had the reset option. Apparently there are several units out there that won't go into recovery mode on their own (mine included). There is a fix supposedly coming from Samsung for this, but it hasn't been released yet.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Two last things.

Clearly I lost ALL my settings, which I had resigned myself to already. However, I was using AppBrain dot com to install my Android market apps so all I had to do was install the AppBrain app from the market then run it and all my apps reinstalled within about 30 minutes.

Also, I did NOT loss any of the pictures or videos I had in my camera gallery. So clearly that factory reset doesn't get rid of everything.

·
Super Moderator
11,129 Posts
So if somebody wanted to mess up your phone all they need to do is try to guess your pattern 3 times?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it's a few more than three times. I don't know the exact count but you can a few minute 'timeout' if you are unsuccessful a few times. Then if you still screw it up that number of times again after your 'timeout' then you're FUBAR.

At least that's how I seem to have been able to deduce how it happened.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts