Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10,442 Posts
The router settings should be protected by a strong password. That prevents others from changing any settings, including DNS. Even if the DNS setting was locked in the router, that wouldn't prevent others from changing the DNS settings on their devices or using a VPN to obscure traffic and bypass router settings.

·
Registered
10,442 Posts
If this is for use with a pi-hole, the whole point of the pi-hole is that it replaces the DNS server settings on the router. The pi-hole can reference any external DNS server. A good choice these days is 1.1.1.1 since it is fast and claims to not track DNS requests. DNSBench by GRC can be used to find the fastest servers to use. If the pi-hole is configured to use DHCP, it will probably default the the DNS server used by the router which is usually the ISP's DNS server. It's not a good idea to use that since it raises some privacy issues. If privacy is a concern, there are some DNS servers that disable reverse lookup and do not track users. Some VPNs provide their own DNS servers and do not track DNS.

·
Registered
122 Posts
You can change the DNS settings in some of the open source firmware, such as FreshTomato, DD-WRT and Merlin. They also offer many, meany features and flexibility the stock firmware do not.

But I agree, we need to know more about your needs before we can help more.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I'm not sure I can help like the hard core guys that test and write the code, but I can do my best to try to help you.

The FT documenation underwent a zillion edits since about mid-2020. I believe that made the documenation much easier to read and understand.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts