Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, 90% of the time I just close the lid on the MacBook Pro and it goes to sleep nicely (flashing LED on the front). Occasionally, I actually shut it down completely (going on a trip, leaving for the weekend, etc...).

I noticed last night (and it has happened once before) that shutdown (or even restart) seems to close everything except I'm left with the screen wallpaper and the mouse pointer visible (and working but nothing to click). I left it like that for quite some time last night before I gave up and held the power button until it shutdown.

Are there any logs or diagnostics I can run to determine what's causing this? I'm guessing some new software I installed is causing the issue but I have no idea how to begin tracking it down.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After some playing around, I've discovered the following;

1. logout will not function properly either. I'm unable to get finder to close.
2. after performing a safe boot (hitting shift when turning on the power) shutdown works perfectly.
3. I ran a check using the disk utility and no problems were reported.
4. opening a terminal and typing 'sudo shutdown -h now' works flawlessly (it shuts down the system a la linux).

So, obviously something I've installed/done is causing this problem but the question is how to track down what it is!

Thanks!

·
Registered
598 Posts
There is a product called Little Snitch that will tell you which apps are making connections to the Internet. If the problem is a hung connection then this is the app for you.

I haven't had any problems shutting down, but I do have problems with hung connections sometimes - well at least I think it's a hung connection on the Internet. Force quiting the app resolves it. Mail.app used to hang often but then I switched email providers (using Google now) and the problem disappeared.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks hkaye, I've looked at Little Snitch but, so far, it hasn't help me.

I did get a little further in my diagnoses. The only thing that changed in the past few week (when I noticed the problem was happening all the time) is my new network (Time Capsule).

So, on a whim I turned off the Airport before shutdown / reboot and it worked flawlessly. I then connected to the b/g segment instead of the much faster a/n and that works as well.

I looks like something to related to my being connected to the a/n wireless network is causing the issue... what the is I have no idea!

I'm open to any ideas any of the users here might have!

Thanks!

·
Registered
626 Posts
Launch Activity Monitor app and with all applications shutdown look at the list of running process for something that looks unusual.

Also, you can launch Console app and comb through the various logs to see if you can see anything that seems unusual.

Sorry, that's all I've got other than to also suggest doing a Google search on that behaviour.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update:

I believe I have have determined the cause of this issue.

Looks like the nfs client used in Snow Leopard (and likely previous versions) has problems killing itself when the shutdown / reboot options are used.

If I've not used any files on the nfs server for some time the shutdown / reboot will work fine and I'm guessing that has to do with the way the automounter works.

I can work around the issue by either using the shutdown -h command from a terminal or rebooting the nfs server (it's a popcorn hour box and restarting it is easy if it's not in use).

None of my linux machines suffer from this "issue" so I'm fairly confident it's not a problem with the popcorn hour box.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
FYI, this issue appears to be fixed with the latest Snow Leopard Update which I applied Friday.

Cheers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts