Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

LNB questions PLEASE HELP!

2K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  dirtroad 
#1 ·
Hi, I have moved into a new house that has an existing bell dish with a single dual feed LNB. I am holding in my hand a second dual feed LNB(dish network) My question is can I use this second LNB, install it on the dish or do I need a different LNB than the one I currently have? My goal is to get the hd programming.

Thanks in advance...

#2 ·
#5 ·
Tools and SW21

Do you have any suggestions on the best(easiest) connectors and tools to use for applying the rg6 connectors? As it is -20 outside and it looks as though Im going to be on my roof cutting and finishing cables to install the 2 sw21's also, how much should an sw21 run me?

#8 ·
My 1st suggestion would be if there are 2 coax running to dish now buy 4 short manufactured cables and mount the 2 SW21's on the dish and connect the 2nd LNB and you are ready to go.

Otherwise you will be spending more on the tools for compression fittings, etc.

I suggest you just read the articles, and decide how far you want to go on this, many people have many ways of coming up with similar, or acceptable results.

#9 ·
OHHH

I see what you are saying now! use the 4 pre-fab cables connect all those directly to the dish and the take the cables I disconnect from the dish and use THOSE coming from the sw21's, god ur smart!! I still need to attach 2 ends to get me into the house, can i get away with crimpers for that? I know its bush league but will it work?

#10 ·
Crimp connectors were the industry standard at one time, and are fine indoors, and outdoors if you keep an eye on them for moisture issues.
See http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=104308
for lots of ideas.
I have even used twist-on connectors outdoors and keep some as emergency repairs when I have no tools around.
Don't use any silicon sealant on connections as it has very corrosive properties to prevent mould from developing unless it is a type approved for electrical connections. Use a good electrical tape like scotch super 88 or something similar.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.