Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
The answer to that is "yes" and "no".

At one time I fed my Shaw receiver with a Patriot 85e elliptical dish and Pansat PT-5600 linear KuBand LNB. This allowed me to receive Shaw service from either (but not both) of the Shaw satellites. I could have purchased a second dish and LNB, linked them with a switch, and received both satellites, with the receiver telling the switch which satellite to tune for a given channel. So that's an option, albeit more expensive than purchasing a Shaw dish and LNB. It would be difficult to mount 2 Pansat LNB's to the same dish because the physical size of the plastic case prevents them from being mounted at the proper spacing to receive 2 satellites that are 4 degrees apart in longitude. I have not read where you can affix a generic LNB, such as the Pansat, to a Shaw dish, but even if you could, you would only receive one satellite at at time, and you might have to cobble the bracket to get the right focal distance.

The Shaw LNB is specially made for Shaw in that the 2 receptors overlap each other on the same plastic housing in order to have the proper spacing. The switching is internal to the LNB, and the type of LNB must match the size of the dish (60e dish requires 60e LNB, etc.) The type is printed on the LNB case.

You cannot use an LNB from one of the two major American satellite service providers nor can your use an LNB from the "other" Canadian provider because the polarity is different. Your only other option to the standard Shaw LNB is a "linear polarity KuBand" LNB.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
New Shaw direct dishes retail for about $100, including LNB. Used ones should be a lot cheaper. I tried to give one away once and nobody wanted it so they aren't worth much.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Since Shaw takes care of supplying, installing and servicing the dish under the Simple Satellite program, why would anyone need to buy a dish unless:
1) Non Canadian sub
2) Need additional dish for cottage
3) Account splitting

1 - 4 of 4 Posts