Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
File this under "How unlucky am I?" I guess. Son came to wake me up this morning to tell my our cat peed on the 8300 last night and it was dead. It's so ridiculous it's almost laughable I know (and yes I keep it in a cabinet that is close, I have no idea how she managed to get in there).

Anyway, this was purchased (just) over 2 years ago at the Rogers boxing day sale for around $225 I think (and therefore my doubled warranty form teh cc I used is expired). I'm planning to take it apart, dry it out etc and see what I can do. Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.

I know there is a repair place in Scarborough that services dead boxes, I've been meaning to take in an HD non-PVR box that died to them for a while, maybe I'll be bringing both in ... sigh ...

TIA for any suggestions (about fixing the box ... killing the cat is not an option thanks :))

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
try using rubbing alcohol or contact cleaning solution on the circuit board, it will help remove any existing corrosion form the cat pee

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, good tip. I just realized however that I'll need "Security Torx" bits to get into the box. Does anyone know a source in Toronto where you can buy these? I see I can probably get them form Amazon/eBay, just wondering if there is an local supplier. TIA.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! +1 to Scotta's suggestion to sticky sources of security torx T10 suppliers ... it's question #2 for anyone who decides they need to get into their box ...

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
Does anyone know a source in Toronto where you can buy these?
I bought mine at Sayal. Other tool suppliers should have them too. However, do this *NOW*. The longer that stuff's on the board, the greater the damage.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
File this under "How unlucky am I?" I guess. Son came to wake me up this morning to tell my our cat peed on the 8300 last night and it was dead........
TIA for any suggestions (about fixing the box ... killing the cat is not an option thanks )
I thought you were talking about the cat!

Actually the moisture usually doesn't do the damage, it is the application of power with the moisture, but I believe cat pee contains ammonia (a base) which could do damage.
After you have cleaned and dried it, clean it with an electronics spray cleaner that will help any residual material/moisture evaporate, but follow all recommendations on the can as it is highly flammable or even explosive.
I have recovered electronics from puddles of water that they had been in for days, and following cleaning and drying they have worked.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cool, thanks for the tip. I was not able to get into it yet, heading out to Rona shortly, but did try to apply some isopropyl alcohol to it followed by acetone to get rid of the residual h20 from the rubbing alcohol. It's been sitting in a warm place ever since.

Hopefully tonight I'll be able to crack it open and clean further.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
According to one of the CSI shows, you can also use dried rice to absorb moisture.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts