Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Use a hair dryer to blow it dry or give it a couple of days to dry out before trying to use it.

If it still does not work:
a) for a rental unit, take it back to Rogers for an exchange.
b) if it is a purchase, and under warranty, get it replaced. Otherwise, do a search on this site for a repair company (someone had their power supply replaced).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your quick response! The liquid is completely dry and still not working... I only bought it 2 weeks ago - do I take it back? Do they scrutinize them when you return them?

·
Super Moderator
56,559 Posts
If you charged the device to a premium credit card, some of these have protection against just about any damage for a certain period of time. Check your credit card agreement terms.

·
Registered
8,380 Posts
What was the liquid? Clean water will not harm electronic equipment and alcohol can also be used to clean it. Generally, the idea is to rinse away the spill, before it can do damage. Over the years, I have cleaned many circuit boards with hot water.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I also use water to clean circuit boards usually spilled with coca cola, but the idea is to blow the water away immediately after cleaning. I use an air compressor for this.
If you don’t blow the water away and just wait for the water to dry, the minerals from the water usually create some white deposits and destroy the traces on the circuit board by corrosion.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Yes, clean water will not harm electronic equipment but if the PVR is powered on at the time, the circuit board may be short-circuited because of the conductive nature of water.

Not sure if PVR has some kind of water-damaged indicator inside. In modern cellular phones, they have this indicator inside the phone that if it touches liquid (water), it would turn red.

What I would do in your situation is open the casing and wait for a few days. When you are 100% sure that it is completely dry, bring it back to the store and say it stopped working all of a sudden.

·
Registered
366 Posts
and now it doesn't work! Does anyone have any suggestions?
If there are fuses then one might have blown rather than a component. It all depends on where the liquid went. There might also be a curcuit breaker. Good components will have a breaker switch somewhere near the power cord. If the liquid hit somewhere else then it might have blown a component if there is no protection so if there is a breaker somewhere it might have protected the curcuits...if you are lucky.

·
Registered
8,380 Posts
because of the conductive nature of water
Pure water is an insulator. However, stuff in the water, particularly salts, casues it to conduct electricity.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As it was under the 30 day warranty, I took it back, and luckily got a new one. I did tell them though I was having problems with the picture getting 'stuck' and the audio sounded almost like stuttering, very annoying. Anyway, all is well for now. Where do you all put your pvrs? Do you cover them with anything (not blocking the vents of course) but to prevent anything getting in the unit?
Thank you.

·
Registered
8,380 Posts
^^^^
Mine's in the TV stand, on a shelf below my TV.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts