Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 174 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DHC Story detailing the investigation.

If you have an affected set, more details will be published in this thread on March 24th.

If you'd like to know more about the issue, please read the story in the link above. To comment on the story please use the original thread here.

This thread is strictly for members with the set who wish to discuss details and mechanics of the replacement program.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The following is the March 23rd statement issued by LG to Digital Home Canada.

The tex

DLP Chipset Correction

It has recently come to our attention that a small number of LG televisions were sold based on the understanding that the product contained a specific type of Digital Micro Display (DMD) chip.

The models in question are:
- 52” DLP – RU-52SZ61D
- 44” DLP – RU-44SZ61D

Upon investigation, LG Canada has discovered that, due to a production delay, some models contain the HD2 chip rather than the HD2+ chip, as was indicated.

As a result, an error has occurred in some sales collateral with the above-mentioned models containing HD2 DMD chips, not the HD2+ DMD chips as may have been stated. LG Canada apologizes for any confusion resulting from this honest oversight and has taken the following steps to rectify the error:

- We are conducting a thorough search of our current stock of the models in question to confirm that all units in stock contain the HD2+ chip
- In order to prevent further confusion we have posted this information on our Web site at http://ca.lgservice.com/index_b2c.jsp
- We are taking additional steps internally to ensure there is consistently clear communication between business units moving forward

We welcome the opportunity to address any concerns of customers that have purchased either of the two models in question. As only a small number of consumers have been affected by this oversight, we are confident we will be able to address their concerns individually and provide personalized solutions in a timely manner.

If you have purchased one of these models and think it may not contain the stated DMD chip, please visit http://ca.lgservice.com/index_b2c.jsp for details on the options available to you.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
At this point, it appears that LG does not know when these units were last manufactured with the HD2 chip.

LG Canada says they do not have this information which is presumably with the head office or manufacturing facilities overseas.

The result is that no one can know at this point whether there set has the HD2+ chip or not without literally taking their set apart.

LG has said that consumers with this set can go to the service link posted in their statement and then download the html page and then read the instructions.

To save you time here are the instructions:

DLP Chipset Correction

It has recently come to our attention that a small number of DLP televisions were sold based on the understanding that the product contained a specific type of Digital Micro Display (DMD) chip. The models in question are:

• 52” DLP – RU-52SZ61D
  • 44” DLP – RU-44SZ61D

Upon investigation, LG Canada has discovered that, due to a production delay, some models contain the HD2 chip rather than the HD2+ chip, as was indicated.

As a result, an error has occurred in some sales collateral with the above-mentioned models containing HD2 DMD chips, not the HD2+ DMD chips as may have been stated. LG Canada apologizes for any confusion resulting from this honest oversight and has taken the following steps to rectify the error:

• We are conducting a thorough search of our current stock of the models in question to confirm that all units in stock contain the HD2+ chip
  • We are taking additional steps internally to ensure there is consistently clear communication between business units moving forward

We welcome the opportunity to address any concerns of customers that have purchased either of the two models in question. As only a small number of consumers have been affected by this oversight, we are confident we will be able to address their concerns individually and provide personalized solutions in a timely manner.

If you have purchased one of these models and think it may not contain the stated DMD chip, please contact LG Service at http://ca.lge.com/en/support/contactGcsc.jsp and follow the directions below:

• Enter “DLP-(then your full name)” in the NAME field – for example, “DLP-John Doe”
  • Please provide your TELEPHONE number
  • Select “Customer Service” in the TYPE OF INQUIRY field
  • Enter “the model number” in the “Model no.” field
As you can see its the statement we received along with the following:

Enter “DLP-(then your full name)” in the NAME field – for example, “DLP-John Doe”
Please provide your TELEPHONE number
Select “Customer Service” in the TYPE OF INQUIRY field
Enter “the model number” in the “Model no.” field
The company said it will collect the information and then contact consumers individually to discuss their options.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I suggested to LG that they simply post the manufacture date and consumers can check the back of the set to determine whether they have a set produced before or after the critical date rather than have everyone contact LG.

The company says that it will provide DHC with the manufacture date once it is known.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Great Job on this story Hugh, very nice work indeed
even though It has no effect on Me I have been following
this thread with great interest.
A very interesting development indeed, it should be interesting to
see if there is a firesale of the replaced DLP TV's or if they wholesale them
off to some reseller.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yes, thanks Hugh. I do own an LG RU-52SZ61D. If my TV one of the few, I certainly hope LG will rectify the problem without any hassles.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Hugh! Lg Dlp Tv

Bravo!
Continue the good work!
My RU-52sz61D was the first one sold at my local FS,
with a mufufacturing date of JUNE 2004!
I should get a replacement TV! With no HASSLES, i hope!
and not to long waiting!
Hope you had a good sleep...after the good work!
Roger

·
Registered
37 Posts
Roger,
My RU-52SZ61D was also manufactured in June 2004. Keep in touch...we're probably in the same boat!! PM me if you want to compare other specs.

Al

·
Registered
227 Posts
Alou

alou said:
Roger,
My RU-52SZ61D was also manufactured in June 2004. Keep in touch...we're probably in the same boat!! PM me if you want to compare other specs.

Al
HI!
Can you tell me your serial number, mine is 406KT00181!
Just want to see if your's is close!
Hope we get a new TV and the wait wont be too long!
Roger
PS: let me know when you get a reply from LG!

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
I already received a response to my email sent to LG with the info Hugh posted above.

They asked for my serial number which is 407KT00005 Build date July 2004 for those that are interested. I have the 44” DLP – RU-44SZ61D.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Reply from LG

Just got a reply from "Maria Oliveira" of LG.
"According to the serial no you quoted, the 52" DLP does not contain the HD2+ DMD chip. I you are not happy with the picture, we will gladly exchange it at no cost to yourself.".... then if i am satisfied with the picture... "free
LGR435 (DVD recorder) or LGP 475 (Portable DVD Player..."
Of course i want the new TV with the HD2+ chip.
Asked when and how soon can this be done?...waiting for a reply!
Roger!

·
Registered
13 Posts
LGE response

I sent LG the serial no. (404KT00147) and manufacture date (april 2004) of my 44" DLP and received the following response:Hello,

According to the serial # you quoted, the 44" DLP does not contain the HD2+
DMD chip. If you are not happy with the picture, we will gladly exchange it
at no cost to yourself. If you are satisfied with your picture and do not
want to exchange your television, we will gladly ship you one of the
following products free of charge:

I have opted for the replacement and am waiting for a further response from them. I must also state that i am not unhappy with my picture but feel i should get what i thought i paid for. Thanks to Hugh for digging in to this.

·
Registered
13 Posts
LG response

I appologize. I forgot to add in the choices offered if i decided to keep the TV.
LGR435 (DVD Recorder)

Or

LGP 475 (Portable DVD player)

Cheers!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Does anyone have a link to info on the differences between HD2 and HD2+??? I am having a hard time finding the info. All I have found is "improved contrast"...is this the only diff???

(I am awaiting a response from LG about my TV)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Also....when they said they would replace the TV....did they say what model # it would be replaced with? and if it's a refurb etc???

·
Registered
7 Posts
A friend referred me to this site.

I have 44” DLP – RU-44SZ61D S/N 406KT00075. Peano your number was much higher than mine and built a month later.

The 406 seems to refer to the year and month. Yours was 407 (July 2004) mine was 406 (June 2004). I presume KT is Korea and then the number.

Looks like everything built before August (at least) was old DMD.

fitzgerald yours 44" in April with 147
Mine was the 44" with 75 in June
Peano was the 44" with 5 in July
Roger yours was the 52" in June with 181.

Add those up and it seems thats 408 sets at a minimum.
(408 * 4,000 per set equals $ 1,632,000)

I suspect there is probably thousands of them out there and LG is hoping most people never read this forum.

If LGE can tell from the serial (and by extension the build date) then why won't they provide DHC with the date the last ones were manufactured.

I suspect that there are probably more rotten ones than they are saying. I also wonder why they haven't put out a press release.

I thought by law companies have to publicly announce recalls of products

·
Registered
11 Posts
alexis said:
I thought by law companies have to publicly announce recalls of products
I would not call this as a recall. I believe companies don't have to make a public announcement unless the issue is related to safety.

I sent them my 44" DLP information this evening. The build date in also July,2004. Will wait and see what happens.

1 - 20 of 174 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.