Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, very briefly:

- LG 60PG60 connected via high quality HDMI cable to PS3;
- none of the three rear HDMI inputs support 1080p; however, the side one (HDMI4) does;
- HDMI1-3 show gray screen and image is corrupt
- when I set up my PS3 to send 1080i, the picture works on all inputs.

I saw some disucssion on this in 2008, but not sure how it was resolved; the TV is only two weeks out of the box, and less than 10 hrs on the unit.

I need to know if this issue can be fixed OR if there is a FIRMWARE upgrade that can fix it.

NOTE: Please don't offer solutions involving different cables etc. Tried it all. One HDMI input works, other three don't. Insane!!

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
What does the manual say it supports? Have you got other 1080p sources, such as a Blu-ray player that you can test with? Perhaps you should be talking to LG support.

·
Super Moderator
56,638 Posts
Some of the early 1080P TVs only accepted 1080i or had a specific input that accepted certain signals. As mentioned above, suggest you contact LG to see if there is a firmware update or what the story is on this particular TV.

When I checked the specs on a couple of websites, it seemed to indicate this TV would accept 1080p. How long are the HDMI cables you're trying, what gauge are they and are you connecting the PS3 directly or "through" an AVR or switch with the cable? Inputs and outputs can vary in what they accept/send.

·
Super Moderator
17,487 Posts
In addition to the above suggestions, try turning off any "Intelligent Sensor" or "Cinema Mode" settings on the TV.

·
Premium Member
9,242 Posts
57 said:
When I checked the specs on a couple of websites, it seemed to indicate this TV would accept 1080p. How long are the HDMI cables you're trying, what gauge are they ...
There's no indication in the owner's manual that some of the HDMI inputs will not accept a 1080p input signal. The "Troubleshooting" section has the following to say:
No picture connecting HDMI
Check HDMI cable over version 1.3.
The HDMI cables don’t support HDMI version 1.3, it cause flickers or no screen display. In this case use the latest cables that support HDMI version 1.3.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
my 720p samsung would not support 1080i/p through the HDMI, but would take 1080p through Component

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Saw somewhere the idea that how you tag a given input can sometimes affect its behavior.

Someone was able to get better performance from their HDMI input by changing its label from 'PC' to 'PVR'.

So for example can you name or tag HDMI1-3 with something like 'blu-ray' or 'PVR' or something?

Also is it by any chance something to do with a frames-per-second setting on the player?

·
Registered
737 Posts
I own LG 60PG60 since March of 2009. I tried connecting Panasonic DMP-DB35 to HDMI-2 (back) port and I do get 1080p. Normally, it is connected to same port via Denon AVR-989 (which is set up to pass through HDMI signal), and TV also shows 1080p.

So, it must be something specific to your setup, or your TV. I remember something (it was long time ago) from AVS Forums. I think it was about back HDMI ports and buffering which was confusing PS3. Solution was always to connect PS3 to side port.

I see you posted on AVS forum too. If you search there you will find this info (from Panasonic, but on the same subject):

The HDMI1 & HDMI2 inputs (at the rear) unlike the HDMI3 input do not have the equalizer/buffer circuit between the HDMI input and the HDMI receiver. They are dedicated HDMI ports for Audio/Video components (Blu-ray, Satellite boxes, Cable boxes, PVR). Without the equalizer/buffer circuit, the tv will not display picture and/or sound.

If the PC cable is sending the 3.3v typical of pc connections, the tv may shut down and go into this 10 blinking pattern. For now, only HDMI 3 is recommended for PC connections, which does have the equalizer/buffer circuit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts