Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

61 - 80 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
That is a good question gupper. I can't say myself, but I have a LOT of DivX and Xvid content downloaded and I have played a fairly random selection of it in the last 2 days and I have not run into anything wierd.

·
Registered
8 Posts
It can display it, but not the menus.

Divx Ultra will not work with any current players out there. Mediatek has a new line of 1389's that will play these type of movies. I wonder if there will be hacked firmware to take care of this issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Dandaman2212 said:
How is the LG LDA-530 for playing xvid files ?
I am asking this because on videohelp some people said this
"because of the MTK1389 chipset this machine does suffer from the packed bitstream issue for XviD files"

other Quote

"There was a few pixelation issues with an XviD movie I played (Red Eye on a Sony CD-R)"

Did anybody on this forum have a problem like this with xvid files?

Hi! I just bought this player 69$ at FS. So far I have watched a bunch of xvid movies (no divx) with no problems! However I encountered a problem with a movie on cd-r. The audio plays but the video stutters and freezes. I deleted the movie off my HD so I can't try to re-burn to a dvd-r but it played fine off the pc. All other movies from a dvd-r worked fine. anyone have issues playing xvid files from cdr?

I did have an issue with one movie, an old documentary. It wouldn't play, kept freezing. Anyone know what the 'packed bitstream issue' is from the quote above? I'm thinking maybe that's the problem? The file has a 'bit rate' of 130kbps. I don't really know what any of this means. other movie files that played fine had a higher bit rate, but not by much.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The LG's dont suffer from packed bitstream problems, like the Pioneer does.

If you get stuttering or freezing, then it's likely the video is using more than 1 GMC warp points.

·
Registered
4 Posts
callous said:
The LG's dont suffer from packed bitstream problems, like the Pioneer does.

If you get stuttering or freezing, then it's likely the video is using more than 1 GMC warp points.
:confused: Is this something I can fix? reencode or something?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Does the lg 531 have the exact same features as the 530? I still have time to return it to FS and get the newer model, the FS employee said the 530 is being replaced by the 531. but other than the upconverting option I don't see any difference... isn't it the same chipset? so it will stall on the same xvids as the 530?

·
Registered
31 Posts
que3jxp said:
If I am not mistaken, the 531 also has support for HD resolution DivX and Xvid.

The 530 does not.
I don't think the 531 supports HD DivX or Xvid.

From the user manual, which can be downloaded here:

Available resolution size of the DivX file is under
720x576 (W x H) pixel.

·
Registered
8 Posts
HD Divx/Xvid will come with the new mediatek chip, which is just a barely upgraded version of the one in the 530 and 531.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I picked up this [LDA-531] player last night and have not been able to play my divx's. I have the LG splash screen [LG Logo] and can hear the audio, but no video :( Any suggestions? DVD's play fine, backup and originals. No luck with DIVX.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Shows fullscreen when widescreen movies and has black lines on the side when full

HI
My LG LDA-530 shows me a full screen picture on my tv when I put widescreen format on cd.And when I put full screen format on cd ,it shows black lines on the side and not full screen on my tv.
Is this normal?
or is my dvd player defective?
Does anybody else have this ?
I would love feed back
thanx
Dan

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
I saw the same thing when I first turned mine on.

You will need to go into the setup and tell it what aspect ratio your TV is. By default, the player comes set for 16:9.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi guys,

I'm struggling w/ choosing a dvd player and the 530 and 531 are on my shortlist...

I have a couple of questions I haven't been able to find answers to, and would appreciate if anybody can help out.

Assuming upconversion is not a factor (from what I've read so far, it seems like it's still widely debatable):

- does the 530 also have the Faroudja DCDi chip like the 531?

- 54 MHz, 12 bit (531) vs 108 MHz, 12 bit (530). Does that mean that the 530 will have better PQ?

Right now I'm using a benq pb6100 projector with component video connection. Will I see a difference with my setup on the above points?

Any help would be appreciated.

cheers,
Rob

·
Registered
149 Posts
No the 530 does not have the Faroudja DCDi chip like the 531.

Also another thing to note is the 530 does not have a built in DTS decoder, it's only a pass through for DTS. The 531 has the built in DTS decoder.

·
Registered
10 Posts
zeta_msz_006 said:
No the 530 does not have the Faroudja DCDi chip like the 531.

Also another thing to note is the 530 does not have a built in DTS decoder, it's only a pass through for DTS. The 531 has the built in DTS decoder.
thanks, zeta_msz_006, I added to your reputation. I don't know why the lge site doesn't mention the DCDi in the 531 specs or comparison charts.

The DTS decoder isn't a factor for me as I let my receiver handle that.

Anybody have any opinions on the following matchup on a component video projector system? (no HDMI)

12bit, 108Mhz video DAC
+ $100 CAD

vs

- 12bit, 54Mhz video DAC
- upconversion (on component video)
- Faroudja DCDi

Or in other words, does the upconversion and Faroudja chip on the 531 make up for the 54Mhz DAC and higher price tag? (Assuming component system, no HDMI, and DTS encoding not a factor)

Thanks again, I really don't know where else to ask.

cheers,
Rob

·
Registered
10 Posts
Nevermind, I decided to give the 531 a shot. (Sorry for the bump, I would've editted my last post but I couldn't)

cheers,
rob

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have the 530 as well and love it, but it looks like I'm running into the same problem that many other users here are having...the source of their movies being of a higher resolution than what this player is capable of playing.

Is there any chance of a firmware update that could improve this in the near future? (or 3rd party firmware update).

or, could someone please suggest a program that that could shrink the resoultion down to a playable spec?

thank you and cheers :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everyone,
I just picked this player at FS after friends have recommended it to me. The only problem I have is that the whites appear to be blown out (on a DVD disc). Previous DVD player with the same TV did not have this problem. Any ideas?

TIA

61 - 80 of 97 Posts