Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

41 - 60 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
zeta_msz_006 said:
The 530 and 531 have the same spec when it comes to playing divx files, they both will only play files that are under 720x576 resolution. Any files with higher res. you will not get the display other than the LG logo and sound from the file.
100% exact... which is why I hope you'll reconsider. The 530 is a great machine that costs 100$ less than the 531. It's the best 70$ I ever spent, bar none!

·
Registered
2 Posts
LG LDA-530 Playing Xvid Files

How is the LG LDA-530 for playing xvid files ?
I am asking this because on videohelp some people said this
"because of the MTK1389 chipset this machine does suffer from the packed bitstream issue for XviD files"

other Quote

"There was a few pixelation issues with an XviD movie I played (Red Eye on a Sony CD-R)"

Did anybody on this forum have a problem like this with xvid files?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Dandaman2212 said:
How is the LG LDA-530 for playing xvid files?
Absolutely perfect. Rarely, you might see some pixelation that'll last for 1 or 2 secs, but it's so rare that I can count on one hand the number of times it's happened and I watched hours and hours and hours of content ever since getting that device.

The one thing you have to remember is that the player is very sensitive to the cleanliness of the discs, meaning that if you have even a tiny bit of dirt on it (hair, a grain of sand, whatever else...), you'll see this pixelation. More often than not, that's what causes the problem. Nevertheless, you have to remember that the pixelation will occur (*if* it ever occurs) maybe for 1 sec, *maybe!*

I also initially thought the pixelation would carry on for long periods of time, which gave me pause, but after witnessing it only a handful of times after spending countless hours watching XviD and DiVX-encoded files, I can assure you the quality is great and the pixelation only occurs for a fraction of a second in most cases.

·
Registered
160 Posts
No problem, man. My pleasure. Also, in case nobody's mentioned it yet, there are some hacked firmware online that you can flash this device with that'll render it regionless.

·
Registered
1 Posts
burning multisession

hi,

I have the LG LDA-530 and was wondering if it is possible to burn multisession's and be able to view it. What I am trying to do is archive some videos/divx files on my computer to a dvd. I burn a couple of files, they work great. I come back next week and burn some more files on the same disc and the LG player will not be able to see the files I burned the 2nd time. Is there a process to do this or is it impossible with this player (or any divx player)??

Thanks.

·
Registered
160 Posts
hammer007,... this is going to sound rude, but why don't you just wait and burn a whole DVD once you have enough files for it? I have this theory that people have a knack for complicating their lives and that's just one more example of that. Hard drives are so huge, now, that I'm sure you could afford to have 4.5 gigs of DiVX/XviD files before burning your compilation.

You can always spend hours looking for an answer or just do it my way. I honestly don't see the point of using multisession. You waste space just doing that.

·
Registered
1 Posts
LG LDA-530 DVD/DivX player

I had this player for a couple of months now, and I've had no problems - until last night. I just installed a DVD burner on my desktop PC(LG GSA-4167B, you can see all the specs here: http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Reviews/Specific.aspx?ArticleId=14976).

I put in a blank Fujifilm DVD+R into my new drive. I opened "my computer", and dragged and dropped 4 .avi movies to my E drive (my new burner), and I got the message that the disk needs to be formatted before it can be burned, so I did that. Than I dropped the files in again. After that I took the DVD and put it in my player, I got the message: disk error. I thought it was maybe cause I didn't finalize the disk (or Make Compatible), so I put it back in the drive, and did that too. I tried playing it again, but got the same error msg. I thought it should play DVD data CDs, just like regular data CDs...
Here's all the tech specs about the player: http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers.php?DVDnameid=5647&Search=Search&

It should play DVD+Rs..
Could somebody please help? I'm a newbie...
Thanx

·
Registered
8 Posts
Strat said:
Absolutely perfect. Rarely, you might see some pixelation that'll last for 1 or 2 secs, but it's so rare that I can count on one hand the number of times it's happened and I watched hours and hours and hours of content ever since getting that device.

The one thing you have to remember is that the player is very sensitive to the cleanliness of the discs, meaning that if you have even a tiny bit of dirt on it (hair, a grain of sand, whatever else...), you'll see this pixelation. More often than not, that's what causes the problem. Nevertheless, you have to remember that the pixelation will occur (*if* it ever occurs) maybe for 1 sec, *maybe!*

I also initially thought the pixelation would carry on for long periods of time, which gave me pause, but after witnessing it only a handful of times after spending countless hours watching XviD and DiVX-encoded files, I can assure you the quality is great and the pixelation only occurs for a fraction of a second in most cases.

Does the firmware at http://dvx9900.altervista.org/index_en.htm fix the pixelation problem?

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
Tigress said:
I put in a blank Fujifilm DVD+R into my new drive. I opened "my computer", and dragged and dropped 4 .avi movies to my E drive (my new burner), and I got the message that the disk needs to be formatted before it can be burned, so I did that. Than I dropped the files in again. After that I took the DVD and put it in my player, I got the message: disk error. I thought it was maybe cause I didn't finalize the disk (or Make Compatible), so I put it back in the drive, and did that too. I tried playing it again, but got the same error msg. I thought it should play DVD data CDs, just like regular data CDs...
Install the Nero or whatever came with the drive and do the burn with it and NOT the Windows XP junk that is built into Windows XP.

If that does not work, try a different brand of disc.

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
P.S. -- I am caving and getting one of these puppies this week as FS has them on for $69.

I have THOUSANDS of hours of DivX on disc already, so I will seriously be putting it to the test. I will drop my feedback in as soon as I have some.

·
Registered
160 Posts
callous said:
Does the firmware at http://dvx9900.altervista.org/index_en.htm fix the pixelation problem?
Re-read the following paragraph...

Strat said:
The one thing you have to remember is that the player is very sensitive to the cleanliness of the discs, meaning that if you have even a tiny bit of dirt on it (hair, a grain of sand, whatever else...), you'll see this pixelation. More often than not, that's what causes the problem.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Just to throw in my two cents - I just purchased the LDA-530 and it works great. It's a bit noisy when seeking and I find the picture to be a bit softer than I'm used to, but that can all be tweaked. For 69 at FS, it's a great deal. Plus you wont' feel bad down the road when DivXHD players become common place since you only spent 70 on it!

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
ashbinder said:
For 69 at FS, it's a great deal. Plus you wont' feel bad down the road when DivXHD players become common place since you only spent 70 on it!
Pretty much what I am thinking and it will help tide me over till I can build an HTPC EXACTLY the way I want it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought this unit at Future Shop's Boxing Day Sale for $70 and I love it! I was toying with the idea of turning my old PC (P3/500 MHz) into a PVR, but decided to go with a DIVX-playing DVD player instead until I can use a faster computer as a PVR. The old DVD player was starting to give up the ghost and it was time for a replacement. I haven't watched any movies (DVD or DIVX) all the way through yet, just enough to test compatability and so far, it's played everything I have! I'm so giddy with excitement, my wife just shakes her head at me. I also like that I can burn 5 movies onto one disc in 7 or 8 minutes instead of taking almost an hour and a half to encode and burn as a DVD.

So far, the only thing I miss from my old, cheapie Norcent DVD player is being able to see how much time is remaining in a movie. Does the LDA-530 have this option somewhere and I missed it? Sometimes when a movie is dragging on, it's nice to know there's only another 30 minutes to suffer through before it's over. :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey...I just bought one of these from FS, and right now I'm just waiting for it to ship. I was just wondering if the 530 is capable of playing OGG media (specifically video, which my own computer has problems playing), MP4 media and Divx 4 and 5. Any answers would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
Well, just by accident, I can now confirm the multi-session disc issue. Simply just don't burn multi-session discs.

Otherwise, I have tossed 5 different brands of DVD-Rs, 5+ hours of DivX AND Xvid and even one of my sons retail DVDs.

NOT ONE SINGLE PROBLEM!!! Not even the "infamous" 'squares' from dust or whatnot.

I am SERIOUSLY pleased with this purchase.

Now, on to building my HTPC for the HT room... (This player lives in the bedroom)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Compatibility with newer versions of DivX or Xvid?

I've noticed that the player only says it is compatible with DivX 3, 4, & 5. Since DivX 6 is now out, will the LG 530 still play dvds encoded with DivX 6 or newer versions of DivX? I don't want to buy the dvd player and have it become obsolete in a few months...:confused:

41 - 60 of 97 Posts