Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
hi,
when this machine came out, the 531 wasn't available....if I were you, I would wait for a bargain on the 531, which upconverts as well as do divx.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Que: you can simply return it if you're not satisfy. IMHO 531 doesn't worth it, I rather ante up another 100 bucks for the recorder 536.

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
Well, sounds like I will just wait for the new crop of players or a really good deal on a 531.

Thanks for the followup.

·
Registered
149 Posts
que3jxp said:
Well, sounds like I will just wait for the new crop of players or a really good deal on a 531.

Thanks for the followup.
Do you have an HDMI connection for your TV, because if you don't then you might as well get the 530, since it has a better video DAC than the 531. Or any other player with a better DAC if divx playback is not a concern.

·
Registered
149 Posts
que3jxp said:
Do you have one Zeta?

If so, how has it treated you?

And no, I do not have a DVI/HDMI port on my current projector.
No one of my friends has the 530, but I have the 531 though, since I have the HDMI port on my plasma and I am up converting. I was using the LG DV7832 until recently and was using the Philips 642 for divx.

I got the 531 mainly for divx and the HDMI connection, the 7832 was DVI and I had use and adptor for the plasma. The 531 is so much better for divx than the 642 in both PQ and menu, it supports long file names where the 642 didn't. Another plus with the 531 is that it also supports DVD audio.

I guess I am going to be selling the 642 and 7832, since the 531 does everything they can do and more.

·
Registered
149 Posts
He loves it, he had the 642 as well and got rid of it after the 530. He got it when they were on sale at FS the last time, can't really go wrong with the price IMO. Plus if you don't like it bring it back and get a refund.

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
eljay said:
The 530 is on sale for $79.99 in today's Future Shop flyer. Having read the positive comments in this thread, I'm going to pick one up to try it out.
Please test the hell out of it and report back...

PLEASE
PLEASE
PLEASE
PLEASE

:)

·
Premium Member
9,235 Posts
I spent 2-1/2 hours tonight trying out the LDA-530 (using component video and digital coax audio). The menu was straightforward and the remote is pretty user-friendly, so set-up was quick. The tray is as flimsy as some reviews indicate, but as long as you don't push down too hard when removing a disc, it's a non-issue. The player is a bit noisy when searching, but fairly quiet at all other times.

I had no problems playing the PAL- and XviD-encoded "Star Wreck" CD, the PAL-encoded AC/DC concert DVD or any of the DVD-R "back up" DVDs I have ("LOTR", "Hellboy", etc.).

I also played clips from "Monsters, Inc.", "Spider-Man", "Toy Story" and "The Eagles - Hell Freezes Over" and looked for image discrepancies between the LG player and my Panasonic DVD-RP62. To the best of my vision, there was no difference - both players handled all material equally well, although the LG went one step better than the Panasonic and didn't display the occasional red flicker I see with the latter.

For $80, it seems like a hell of a deal.

·
Registered
317 Posts
bigmac said:
Anyone know how this unit handles burned double-layered DVD+/-R's full of DiVX (ie., .avi) files?
yup, no problems. I've got a DVD-DL+R with a 8GB worth of avi files and it plays them great all the way through

·
Registered
160 Posts
bobnoxious said:
There was no image from the clip but the sound was coming through OK. The screen was just the background screen the player displays.

The xvid came from a down load of 24 from a Rogers newsgroup. This is the name in case anyone else has downloaded these things:

24.s04e23.hr.hdtv.ac3.5.1.xvid-ctu.avi
That's normal as all HR material is presented in a resolution not supported by the player, so don't bother trying to play anything that was captured from an HR source.

I know it sucks, but that's how it is.

·
Registered
160 Posts
que3jxp said:
Please test the hell out of it and report back...

PLEASE
PLEASE
PLEASE
PLEASE

:)
I've had it for almost 2 months and it works flawlessly and plays 99% of the material I have. The only files that it won't play is HR-captured stuff (too high a resolution) and *really* old AVI files and even those were the exception as I have lots of old stuff and it couldn't play only 3 files so far.

I've watched so much stuff in the past couple of months that if I didn't find anything wrong with it, there's nothing to worry about. I'm extremely hard to please, but I am still thrilled about this machine. Get it now!

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
Thanks for the feedback Strat.

I will have to take a pass on the 530 and focus on the 531 as I DL most of my TV shows in HD format.

·
Registered
149 Posts
que3jxp said:
Thanks for the feedback Strat.

I will have to take a pass on the 530 and focus on the 531 as I DL most of my TV shows in HD format.
The 530 and 531 have the same spec when it comes to playing divx files, they both will only play files that are under 720x576 resolution. Any files with higher res. you will not get the display other than the LG logo and sound from the file.

21 - 40 of 97 Posts