Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 534 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today, while having my brunch, my attention was caught by an ad of a DVD player that upconverts to 720p and 1080i BOTH through DVI and component connections. WOW, I couldn't believe it but I went to the store anyway and checked it out. I ended up buying it and so far, after watching Toy Story 2 and Pirates of the Carribean, all I can say is Awesome!! Stunning!! This unit for $300.00 delivers!

What is it? It is LG DV7832. All cables included. It has the Faroudja chip for upconversion and man, I tell you, my Panasonic RP91 is no match to this one. I think it's unbelievable value. This unit also has both coaxial and optical outs, S-video out and composite video out. It plays all format except (I'm guessing) DVD-RAM.

Like I said, don't walk run!!

Sam

·
Premium Member
3,309 Posts
What Store? What country? (Canada or USA)

Thanks

·
Registered
153 Posts
Sounds very nice. I wonder if it needs HDCP compliant devices to connect to for DVI. My TV is but my projector is not so I run it via HTPC.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here's a quote from the manual:

The DVI output is compliant with HDCP specifications.

The manual refers to the connection as DVI-D.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Not on Lg's website

I went to LG websites global and here in Canada and I could find no mention of such a DVD player. I find that strange.

darren

·
Registered
24,794 Posts
Is this player similar to the Bravo D1 and Samsung HD 931?

The Bravo D3 is coming out in a few months. That might be worth waiting for.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just a follow-up to my post above...

I am using the component input of my TV. This particular model (about 2 years old)does not have a DVI input.

Sam

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Does you TV handle HDTV input? If not, how do you know the player outputs 1080i on the component video jacks with any disc??

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, my TV accepts HDTV inputs through component inputs labeled as HDTV. My TV has 2 of this inputs. My *C HD Decoder is connected to one and the other is to this DVD player.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Sam said:
Yes, my TV accepts HDTV inputs through component inputs labeled as HDTV. My TV has 2 of this inputs. My *C HD Decoder is connected to one and the other is to this DVD player.
I presume that your LG player can be adjusted for either 720p or 1080i. If your TV supports both, have you noticed any differences between these two resolutions?

It's pretty wierd that I cannot find any info about this player anywhere including the LG websites.

Lastly, if I cannot find a local LG dealer who can bring in the DV7832, do you know if 2001 AV does out of province mail orders....as their site doesn't allow online orders. Thanks.

Dave

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
[quote="DavidY]
I presume that your LG player can be adjusted for either 720p or 1080i. If your TV supports both, have you noticed any differences between these two resolutions?

It's pretty wierd that I cannot find any info about this player anywhere including the LG websites.

Lastly, if I cannot find a local LG dealer who can bring in the DV7832, do you know if 2001 AV does out of province mail orders....as their site doesn't allow online orders. Thanks.

Dave[/quote]

The LG PLayer has a button in front that allows you to choose the upconversion from 480p to 720p to 1080i. Unfortunately, my TV does not support 720p so I cannot compare.

This particular model is relatively new, my unit's manufacturing date is Nov. 2003 and is made in Korea. I was told that this is not yet available in the US(I don't know how true that is).

This is the first time I dealt with 2001 AV, so I don't know their policy on out of province orders.

sam

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
DavidY said:
Anyone know if this player can be adjusted for region/code free?

Dave
David,

The setup menu allows you to change the country code. I don't know if that follows that you can play any region-coded disc. As I don't have any disc other than region 1 coded, I can't test it.

sam

·
Registered
635 Posts
Sam said:
DavidY said:
Anyone know if this player can be adjusted for region/code free?

Dave
David,

The setup menu allows you to change the country code. I don't know if that follows that you can play any region-coded disc. As I don't have any disc other than region 1 coded, I can't test it.

sam
Thanks. I believe that there are 8 regions worldwide plus 0 = all regions.

Dave

·
Registered
170 Posts
LG

I thought that maybe it just sells under a different model number here than in Europe but I looked at all of the DVD models on the LG website and none of them have the capability that this one does.

That, combined with the poor impression I have of 2001 Audio Video makes me think something is afoot. I mean, how does AV 2001 have the monopoly on such a nice player???

darren

·
Registered
170 Posts
Even though I'm suspicious I'm really interested in this player. I have the same type of television that you do Sam...Sony XBR. The DVD player that I have right now has to be 3 years old ... not even progressive scan. Although I'm sure I paid at least $500 for it.

I've always kinda had it in my head that I don't really need a phenomenal DVD player because I have such a wonderful and precise CRT television. Now Sam says that the difference is night and day with this new player. If it really is then I have to have it.

But I'd rather not have to buy it from 2001 AV.

darren

1 - 20 of 534 Posts