Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

161 - 180 of 234 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Linuz said:
To hide Timeshift Icon, use DISPLAY button on your remote control.
Holy sh*t. Okay, is THAT new funtionality? I remember trying EVERYTHING to get rid of the icon when I first got the unit and I couldn't. Perhaps I'm just losing my mind. :confused:

Anyway, thanks Linuz! :p

·
Registered
1 Posts
New Firmware

I have been watching this thread since I ran into trouble with my 539 back in April. I had the HDD near full and then all of a sudden the unit would not power on correctly. It kept rebooting. I decided to change the hard drive to a 30 Gig unit I had as a spare. It worked fine.

With all this talk about new firmware I took the plunge and loaded it this morning. Thanks for the firmware and loading instructions. Everything went fine. I decided to then replace the original 250 Gig drive. Low and behold it powered on OK and all the recordings were there. It must have been something in the last recording that caused the malfunction. When I tried to play it with the new firmware it gave a HDD Error message and would not play it.

Many thanks to those who have persevered with the various problems with this unit. There are a few things I wish it was better at doing, but overall I am pleased with it so far, especially now that's it's fully functional again.

Thanks, again
OldDogWoman

·
Registered
2 Posts
Oh Joy! Oh Bliss!

Well, I've only been watching this thread for a couple of days, but for a good chunk of that time my LG LRH-539 (with factory installed 50617B_NT FW) has been stuck in the HELLO... PLEASE WAIT... REBOOT cycle.

The drive wasn't even half full, but I've been expecting it to screw up for the last couple of weeks because every time I let go over 66 titles it gets cranky and sometimes falls into the HELLO... PLEASE WAIT... REBOOT cycle for 5 to 30 minutes before finally 'catching' and moving on to the brief HDD CHECK phase and coming back to life.

Then I would madly edit and copy off as many titles as I could before turning it off for a timer recording, etc.

As long as I kept it under 66 titles it would start reliably and I could edit without fear.

Note that the manual does mention under "Combining Two Titles Into One" that "if there are more than 60 titles on the HDD, you cannot combine the titles.", although the Edit > Combine option remains available and is not grayed out.

Also note under Recording > About HDD Recording, the manual states: "The maximum number of titles that can be recorded on the HDD is 255." and "Using the HDD allows you to record a maximum of 12 hours continuously."

Therefore, I've taken up the practice of recording blocks of programs and leaving them in a single lump until I am ready to divide them, delete the commercials and copy the edited shows off to DVDs. (I generally record from my cable boxes to AV1 for SDTV and AV2 (S-video) for HDTV and let the cable boxes do the channel switching.)

This is my second LRH-539. The first one, purchased in Feb-06, did the same thing and was returned for a replacement at Future Shop on the 30th day in Mar-06. It was stuck in the HELLO... PLEASE WAIT... REBOOT cycle and I lost a ****-load of titles that I wanted to keep.

FS said that they were just going to return the dead unit to LG for factory service. An e-mail to LG Service in Canada about tracking the serial number of my first unit and possibly purchasing the HDD if it could be restored was simply ignored.

Within six weeks the new LRH-539 was over 60 titles again and was starting to get cranky, so, I copied off everything I wanted to keep and reformatted the HDD.

This brings us to a couple of weeks ago, when it was getting cranky again at 60+ titles an I began to dread the seemingly inevitable endless HELLO... PLEASE WAIT... REBOOT cycle.

At exactly the same time that OldDogWoman was posting "New Firmware" I was driving across the city to pick up a sweet deal on a new 250GB WD2500JB drive (Western Digital 250gb IDE Hard Drive with 8mb cache 7200rpm. 99 Freakin' Bucks!)

I thought -- after reading this thread and http://www.addison-net.co.uk/dvd/ and grabbing the 51214B_NT and 60223B_NT firmware updates -- what the hell, I'll just slap in an old 3GB Quantum Fireball and see if I could get past the dreaded HELLO... PLEASE WAIT... REBOOT cycle and then do the FW upgrade.

Well, Oh Joy! Oh Bliss! It freakin' worked!!!

I just went straight to the 60223B_NT FW update and never installed the new HDD.

The formatted capacity of the 3GB Quantum Fireball was like 8 minutes HQ <G>, but when I slapped in the original WD2500BB (2mb cache) drive... HELLO... PLEASE WAIT... PREPARING... HDD CHECK... Hey! Presto! Back in business with only one bad title on the disk!!! Woo Hoo!

It wasn't the last title (and only a short one - 16 minutes) about 5 titles back from the end, so I happily deleted it, and am now recording a block of Saturday morning comedy as Title 82 or something like that!

So, genuine heart-felt thanks to everyone for keeping this thread going and posting those links to the Firmware upgrades!

Now, why the f**k isn't LG Canada Service e-mailing out a link to the FW updates to ALL registered owners!?!?!? :confused:

The e-mail could even include a link to click on if you want them to send you a freakin' CD if you can't burn your own.

geeez
Rosco The Digital Guy

·
Registered
2 Posts
Incidentally, when your LG LRH-539 gets stuck in the HELLO... PLEASE WAIT... REBOOT cycle and you get tired of watching the HELLO... PLEASE WAIT... LG RECORDER display on the LCD, press and hold the CH v ^ buttons together on the front of the unit and you will see a diagnostic message.

On mine I saw M10 E11 D27 -- haven't a clue what it means -- D27 is the last item in the string when check your FW version (SETUP > LOCK > 7 8 8 9), but it does give you something else to look at while you contemplate scrounging up a miscellaneous IDE Hard Drive, doing the HDD swap and firmware upgrade.

NOTE that the manufacturer's warranty on the LG LRH-539 is ONE YEAR parts and labor and by doing the HDD swap / firmware upgrade yourself probably voids the warranty.

Best wishes,
Rosco The Digital Guy
(Happily copying titles off to DVDs)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Sorry Johnny RSX

icu_nxtime said:
Once I use an rw disk on my pc with regular data I can't ever seem to get it to format on this PVR, i get to the 0min0 sec and nothing. I tried to format it on the PC first too and same effect.

Anyone had success with RW drives formatting after being used on a pc ??? different formatting program perhaps if it exists.

Using win xp pro BTW if that helps and latest FW on the PVR thanks to this board for that too !!!

I would also still like to be able to stop a timer recording without turning it off and be able to watch a show while timer recording is on not just normal manual record.

Also someone else mentioned while timeshift is on I don't need to see the display for it every time I press a button, I know it is on I don't need a reminder every time.
This wasn't a response to your question I was starting a question of my own. I haven't tried DL disks yet on my LG $$$.

Still looking for the answer though ;)
Basically once I have used the RW disk in a pc for PC files I can't format it in the LG after that just hangs at formatting time 00:00 until I hold power off. never formats though

·
Registered
46 Posts
icu_nxtime said:
This wasn't a response to your question I was starting a question of my own. I haven't tried DL disks yet on my LG $$$.

Still looking for the answer though ;)
Basically once I have used the RW disk in a pc for PC files I can't format it in the LG after that just hangs at formatting time 00:00 until I hold power off. never formats though
I haven't actually tried this. I've taken a DVD+RW that I had previously formatted on the LG and then erased it and used it on the PC, but not the other way around.

Have you tried doing just a low-level erase on the PC?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have tried different formatting types

Hothersale said:
I haven't actually tried this. I've taken a DVD+RW that I had previously formatted on the LG and then erased it and used it on the PC, but not the other way around.

Have you tried doing just a low-level erase on the PC?
Sorry, I have tried both quick and full formats even set the volume label to be the same as what the LG ones says if I put it in the PC but still no luck.

Wasn't sure if there was a different format type or program that other's might have stumbled upon.

Might be a bug just not sure for now I just use some solely for PC and some for PVR.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
46 Posts
icu_nxtime said:
Sorry, I have tried both quick and full formats even set the volume label to be the same as what the LG ones says if I put it in the PC but still no luck.

Wasn't sure if there was a different format type or program that other's might have stumbled upon.

Might be a bug just not sure for now I just use some solely for PC and some for PVR.:rolleyes:
If you're using -RW you might want to try +RW (or vice versa). Or even different brands of media. Just a thought.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hothersale said:
If you're using -RW you might want to try +RW (or vice versa). Or even different brands of media. Just a thought.
I have tried with 2 different brands of +rw and one -rw

Thanks for the tip though good troubleshooting techniques.

I just don't see why out of the wrapper it is fine just not once it is formatted on a pc. All I can think of is that the PVR has a different formatting type. I thought I had read that they thought the interface was Windows Media Centre. I will try to format a disk at my father in laws next week and see if my Win XP Pro is any different from his Media Centre formatting.

Can anyone else confirm if this happens to them also?

I'll report back in a while, going on vacation for 1 1/2 weeks:) up to the outlaws though:eek:

·
Registered
2 Posts
This might not be elegant, but how I recovered a RW disk that I had formatted on the PC was to erase it (using Nero), then take a RW DVD that the LG had formatted and making a copy of the LG formatted DVD on the PC formatted DVD (again using Nero on my PC). I imagine that it copies it bit by bit and recreates the LG formatting. You should then be able to used both on the LG recorder.

·
Registered
37 Posts
HOTHERSALE - I fall off the earth in the summer !!

Hothersale many days ago you were replying to my post about the HDD Icon showing up at the beginning of commercials.

"What's all this then? Has anyone else seen this behavior? I don't think I've ever seen the HDD icon pop-up during playback.

Timmer, can you provide any more details that might help us recreate what you're seeing? That would be one helluva cool undocumented feature!"

I haven't been back in a long time because, quite frankly" I don't watch much TV in the summer. The one show that I noticed this Icon during is LOST. Sometimes Survivor as well. I rarely timeshift while watching a show but my kids interrupt allot during the times that these shows are on. I would notice that during “timeshift” recording, a small HDD icon would show up ( I believe in the upper right) at the beginning of a commercial, and then again when the show started. Unfortunately this seems to have no control over the amount of time that pressing the > button skips forward. Seems to be stuck on five minutes. The part that interests me is that the recorder seems to detect the beginning of the show. I wonder if this can/will be utilized to skip commercials. Maybe it is a network / commercial lawsuit thing that is keeping LG from enabling it. When survivor starts in two weeks I will really pay attention again and write more at that time.

In the meantime thanks for the new firmware. I am still using the last one that was posted without any trouble so I will leave it alone for now. But I have it ready to go should I need it.

Timmer

·
Registered
16 Posts
OH OH 4:01 and 41:11 again

I have the new firmware installed but got the problem again anyone else have this problem ???

Also thanks to ricktv I'll try what you suggested, not a bad idea, it may just work out !! I'll let you know:)

Right now just concerned about the 4:01 problem. I think I have 63hrs left of recording time in SQ mode so about half ???

·
Registered
46 Posts
icu_nxtime said:
I have the new firmware installed but got the problem again anyone else have this problem ???

Also thanks to ricktv I'll try what you suggested, not a bad idea, it may just work out !! I'll let you know:)

Right now just concerned about the 4:01 problem. I think I have 63hrs left of recording time in SQ mode so about half ???
Say it ain't so! :(

·
Registered
16 Posts
Here is my info for the 4:01 41:11 issues

Model Name RH7000's
Region Code :1 (North America)
Loader Ver=V.26 HDD Size=250GB
Set Ver=51214B Cware=Prod045 BSP=23FME
IO Micom Ver=MASK:R12.(D27)
1394ID=0x00E0910D 00000001
Memory EEPROM Ver=Ver0.40
Setup data initialize: Press 0xDF Key

From the system info page in service area.

I am still getting the out of sync audio and the 4:01\41:11 recording times.:confused:

Any assistance is appreciated. I think I'm a the latest firmware but.... if anyone has sucess with an earlier one, later one or even this one can you please post your experiences. I don't want to have to send it in anyware, I did my own firmware with the disk from LG.:eek:

Thanks

·
Registered
46 Posts
icu_nxtime said:
Model Name RH7000's
Region Code :1 (North America)
Loader Ver=V.26 HDD Size=250GB
Set Ver=51214B Cware=Prod045 BSP=23FME
IO Micom Ver=MASK:R12.(D27)
1394ID=0x00E0910D 00000001
Memory EEPROM Ver=Ver0.40
Setup data initialize: Press 0xDF Key

From the system info page in service area.

I am still getting the out of sync audio and the 4:01\41:11 recording times.:confused:

Any assistance is appreciated. I think I'm a the latest firmware but.... if anyone has sucess with an earlier one, later one or even this one can you please post your experiences. I don't want to have to send it in anyware, I did my own firmware with the disk from LG.:eek:

Thanks
The "Set Ver=51214B" indicates that you still have the old firmware loaded, so I suspect that's why you're still seeing the problem. You need 60223B_NT and can get it here: http://www.mlxpro.com/misc/LG_HDR_UPDATE.004.

·
Registered
16 Posts
thanks for the catch

The disk LG sent me took me from Ver 50322A_NT
to 51214B so..... I did do the updates but not to a version that was high enough. Stoopid LG for sending me old stuff and Dumbass me for Not verifying the newest.:confused:

Thanks for the link. I'll get to it in the next day or so and then we'll see how it goes in the next few weeks.

Again thanks for noticing, I just assumed they sent me the newest. Well you know what they say about ASS U ME ;)

Kind Regards
Doug

161 - 180 of 234 Posts