Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

41 - 60 of 234 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
icu_nxtime said:
When I set timer record sometimes it will record only for 4 min 11 sec sometimes for 41 min 11 sec. I see a pattern here !!! Then the unit just ends the recording and I don't get the whole show?

Anyone else have a similar issue. I suspect hard drive sectors but not sure. I would like to do a factory restore but don't know if it will format the HD or not when it does it.

Anyone ???
I had the same problem and almost every I recorded had audio sync problems.I had no problems recording to DVD. It also took a long time to boot and wouldn't finish booting and rebooted over and over again, I had to unplug it to get to boot again.

I read in another forum where someone replaced the Western Digital HD to fix the audio sync problem. My hard drive was about about 80% full so I started to delete and dub things I recorded to DVD. After I deleted some stuff everything started to work fine again, no more 4:11 recordings and audio sync problems. I was going to replace the hard drive but now after I get everything I wanted to save on DVD, I'll reformat the hard drive.

My guess is that my hard drive was badly fragmented and there is deframentation option in set up.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Timeshifting?

One of the main reason I would buy such a device would be timeshifting. for example, record news at 10pm everyday. Most of the time, I'm there to watch them as usual. But if I want to start watching them starting 10:15pm, can I start watching what has been recorded at 10, be 15mins behind as it still records?
How about pausing and resume anytime during a live show. Do I need to explicitly record to do this or is there a function where it can always record live TV so that it can be ready for pause rewind, etc?

Also, somebody mentioned that we cannot record one channel and watch another. Is it at least possible to record one channel and put the recorder in "passthrough" to use the TV tuner to watch whatever we want, just as any plain old VCR?

Thanks!

·
Registered
146 Posts
I'm not sure about the timeshifting as I only picked up the unit last night.

Here's what the manual says about pausing live broadcasts:

Timeshift HDD
Do not miss a scene from a live broadcast. If the telephone rings while you are watching your favorite live broadcast, just press "TIMESHIFT" AND "PAUSE" before answering the phone. The timeshift function will be activated and the broadcast is then recorded for later viewing.
After the phone call or viewing interruption, press "PLAY" OR "SCAN" to watch the program.
Press "STOP" to return to the live broadcast.

I would assume that you would have to set a daily record timer and actually record the news to your HD in order to do what you want, there doesn't seem to be a way to set a timeshift recording on the timer.

This is what it says about watching one tv channel while recording another.

1. Press TV/DVD to select the TV mode during recording. The TV indicator appears.

2. Using the TV, select the channel to be viewed.

In the beginning of the manual it tells you to hook up the tv to the passthrough via the supplied coax cable, so this is the only way to do it with only the unit and a TV. I have a digital cable box and the signal quality coming through the passthrough was poor enough that I had to put a splitter on the source and run a cable to the recorder and one to the cable box. I had/ve a Daytek dvd recorder and had it set up with the cable going in to the recorder, then out to the cable box so that I could get maximum quality from standard cable recordings and anything requiring the cable box was recorded through S-video.

Now, my cons regarding this unit:

no 10 hour recording mode for 4.7GB discs.

poor cable passthrough signal.

No S-VIDEO input in the BACK of the unit.

No batteries supplied for the remote.

poor menu layout.

buggy menu

LG has got to be on crack to not have an S-video input on the back of the unit and not to put batteries in the box...

I was cutting some commercials out of a couple of programs; that went well, but then I tried to split a file into two, it completely deleted that whole file plus two other files. I had 4 files, should have had 5 after the split but ended up with 3, two of which, are identical.

Menu navigation can be a pain, well, just getting out of the menu is the problem. the close or 'return' button very rarely works like you would think it might.

When I was editing the editor said I had 99 hours left on the HDD, but when I press "display" while watching in HDD mode, it says 355 hours.

I was hoping to be able to pack lots of mpg4 material recorded off my AIW onto dvd's and watch them on the player but the standard mpg4 video quality is marginal, at best, when at low bitrates, and divx/xvid are almost always out of sync, (probably due to the AIW recording) standard mpg4 audio is fine.

Pros:

burns all formats of discs incl dual layer +R

I think I may just return it to FS in a few hours and pick up a pioneer 80GB and change out the HD at a later time... and get back $220 + tax.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Well, I had to drive 180 miles round trip to find one, but it was worth it. I took the LG back and picked up the Pioneer DVR-633H-S. Drove all over town this morning looking for one and everyone is sold out, they wouldn't even offer to sell me a demo. Drove to a smallish city about 20km out of town thinking they might have a FS; nope, so I kept heading north to Red Deer. Best Buy had the 80GB unit for 449, FS had a 80GB open box, with no remote, for 379 (the same price FS is selling them for in my town, new); go to Visions, Only one they have is the 160GB unit on the shelf as demo, the salesman's manager is helping us look for it and he tells the salesman to 'blow it out and give him a deal' so I got it for 429+tax.

I'm happier already. I was looking at the compression settings and it will go down to 0.75 Mbps/13:22 hrs on a disc, I have it set at 0.84Mbps/12hrs per disc. That may vary slightly due to VBR encoding but it should be close. Mind you, this setting is only going to be used for recording classid B&W movies off Turner Classic Movies and probably stuff off of Discovery. 4 or 6 hour mode will be used for newer movies on digital channels. No more need for DivX capability, anyhow, my Philips player plays them just as well as the LG did, so I still have that anyway.

As for the -R/RW only issue, I'm used to it. I bought one of the original Pioneer A03's when they were still 1200.00 US, ouch!

Oh, I guess I shouldn't have complained about the LG not coming with batteries, the ones in the Pioneer box are dead. :(

·
Registered
8 Posts
Lrh-539

Just a quick question regarding most of the DVD HD Recorders out there. I'm sure that everyone using the recorders such as the LRH-539 or ZRH model (as I'm using), the only way to record events using the timer and also to have the ability to watch one show while still recording another is with the unit connected before a digital terminal box. There has been developments with Rogers that analog tevevision will eventually be removed and a digital terminal is needed for television programming. My question is most of these units will not be able to function properly unless you have the channel selected through the digital terminal and that is the channel you wish to record. Any thoughts are appreciated!!!!!

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
icu_nxtime said:
When I set timer record sometimes it will record only for 4 min 11 sec sometimes for 41 min 11 sec. I see a pattern here !!! Then the unit just ends the recording and I don't get the whole show?

Anyone else have a similar issue. I suspect hard drive sectors but not sure. I would like to do a factory restore but don't know if it will format the HD or not when it does it.

Anyone ???
I too am having trouble with my LG LRH-539 DVD Recorder. When I set the timer recording, the recording will stop at 4 min 11 sec or at 41 min 41 sec. It only does it once in a while. I also have the audio-video sync trouble. I notice that when I am playing a recorded program from the hard drive, the sound will stutter at 4 min 11 sec or at 41 min 41 sec. After the stutter the video and audio are out of sync. The audio lags the video. This trouble is also intermittent. My hard drive is about 2/3 full.
opus66 mentioned a hard drive defragmentation option in the set-up menu. I can’t find it.
Has anyone with these troubles taken their machine in for repair or talked to LG about the problem?
Is there a firmware upgrade available for the LG LRH-539?
Other than these two troubles, I am quite happy with the machine.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
lg LRH-539

Hi

I was at the store ready to buy this LRH-539 HDD DVR i suddently remember that not all DVR offer the same function. And don't expect the stupid saleman to help you. I had to download the manual to find the information.

I'm looking for a recorder that i can see the program that is actualy recording. (I'm out of the home and i start to record a show, I'm back home 15 min after the start of the show, i whant to see the begin of the show while it's still being record) Imposible to do with a dvd only recorder it become possible with a HDD.

LG offer the timeslip function but it canot be activate if you are recording a program, and can not read the actual program being record.

Panasonic offer what they call "Chasing Playback" You can start the recorder and watch the record file while it's being save.

Unfortunitly Panasonic do not offer all the functionality i'm looking for (CF card reader, DivX compatible, 250 Meg HDD, nice price)

If you know a product that do what i whant, please let me know.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Pioneer 533/633 does what you want; simply press play anytime while recordig and it will play the file that is being recorded.

Oh, sorry, didn't realize you wanted all that other stuff tool... You may have limited options if you want a card reader, and DivX, and 250 GIG HDD. Card reader and DivX, for me, is fluff anyway... JMHO.

The card reader on the LG is painfully slow and doesn't pre-read the next file while you view the present file, so you have to wait a long time for each file to load... Just my observations from the brief time I had the LG unit.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Unexpected powering down

Just bought the LRH-539 unit and am working on understanding how it works. I wanted to get some expert advice on one point before going too far ...

I notice that the unit seems to power down after a few minutes of inactivity. I was going through the set up menu (setting time, etc.), but as I paused to have look at the manual, suddenly the tv picture went black and I got the "Please Wait" message on the front screen of the unit. I waited for a several minutes and ended up switching it off, then on again. This "unexpected powering down" has happened a few times.

I still need to get through the manual in more detail but wanted to know if this was unusual or is this just the hard drive "resting"? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Unexpected powering down -- Further

Now when I turn the unit on it continually flashes "Please Wait" so I am not able to use. I have tried switching off and then on again but I still get the "Please Wait" message flashing. Is there something I can do to fix this or have I bought a lemon? Thanks once more.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Problem With Lrh-539

My LRH-539 which i've had for about 1 month now just started having this problem.

It starts its boot up but then at HD checking it fails with a click sound from the harddrive. Last night and even 2 hours before it started it was working. fine..

Has anyone else had this problem? I also have the problem, i divise some title and after when i delete part of this title. I have 2 same title, i lost one of these..

HELP ME!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Unexpected powering down -- Further

I exchanged the unit for another one and it appears to be OK (so far). On the new unit, I got the "Please Wait" message for only about 5-10 seconds and then it moved on to a normal stand-by. I can record to the HD and things seems to be operating normally. I haven't tried the timed recording, recording to disc, or copying from HD to disc.

The first unit had that clicking sound too, like the unit was trying to boot up but couldn't quite make it (that's when it kept saying "Please Wait"). I assume that there was a problem with the hard drive (given all the warnings in the manual about the HD being sesnsitive to shocks). I took an extended warranty with Future Shop (three years), just to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Zrh516 ~= Lrh539

Picked up a Zenith ZRH-516 Boxing day and thought I'd share some things I've learned.

I bought the unit primarily to capture, edit, and author a large backlog of home vids to dvd. I have tried the PC route before and and was disgusted by the encoding delays, unreliablity, and incompatiblities.

The good news is that it is reasonably easy on this unit to edit on the HD. The bad news is that the moment you do, you lose your ability to do a fast, lossless dub. So if you are going to edit on the harddrive, use HQ encoding to begin with so to minimize dubbing quality loss.

If you want to edit out something and not experience any quality loss on subsequent dubs here is a trick I learned: Record or fast dub the video to a DVD-RW in VR mode. Make any cuts you want to the title. Then dub the title back to the harddrive using the FAST option. The entire title will be copied back to the HD, but in pieces separated by the cuts you made. These new titles can be fast dubbed to any media you want. This is a good way of deleting commercials or PBS pledge breaks if you don't mind one program being divided into many separate titles.

I also have some incompatiblities to report. The unit refuses to recognize and ejects DVD+RW's that I have authored on my HP PC using Pinnicle Studio and Arcsoft Showbiz DVD. They play in most DVD players I've tried, however. Anyone had any success playing PC authored DVDs?

I also have been unable to diskcopy any DVD's written by the ZRH516 when using the "RecordNow" software on my PC. This could be caused by so many things like bad media, etc. Anyone had success diskcopying? I hope this unit doesn't write some lame ass copy protection to all its disks.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Is that unit the same as the 539?

Sorry to hear about your PC capture woes. With the right capture card/device it can be as good - I'd say better than a DVR. Sounds like you need one that records to mpg instead of AVI... IE, no transcoding.

The Pioneer 5/633 lets you edit on the HD and still fast-copy to disc, you can also delete commercials and still leave the program in one piece.

Make sure you are finalizing your discs in the DVR in order for them to be readable by your PC.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The zrh516 is the same as the lrh539 but has no card reader and its hd is 80 rather than 250. Mine was an open box return so I paid only $285 for it so I am laughing. It would have to have serious problems for me to be unhappy.

The video quality is excellent. I never even use HQ because SQ is so good. Even LQ is watchible if you don't mind a few motion and shading artifacts. But the surprising thing to me is that even EQ is good enough for some programs. In particular flat coloured animations like South Park come out almost perfectly. I use EQ to save animation, and to save music and talking head programming where the visuals are secondary to the content.

IMHO, PC video editing is a fraud unless you spring the extra bucks to get a hardware MPEG2 encoder card. Nobody tells you beforehand that it will take 3 to 6 minutes in total encoding, authoring, and writing time for each minute of video. I have waited six hours just to get a coaster. Other times the video plays but has major hiccups. And even if you get a good one, you never know if the disk will play in someone elses dvd player.

With this recorder I get results immediately and so what if the edit is crude, that is what fast forward is for.

Oh, and I didn't mean that disks made by the ZRH516 don't play in my PC, they play fine, it is just my dvd copy tools don't won't copy them.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Has ANYONE taken their ZRH-516 or LRH-539 in to an ASC to get the firmware update that I've been told is available? I'm DYING to know what it will fix/change. Maybe it will even enable the machine to do lossless fast-dubs of edited content. (I can dream, can't I?) One day I'll get off my butt and find out, but I was hoping someone else be able to tell me before I go through the hassle myself....

·
Registered
10 Posts
I read somewhere that lg dvd recorder firmware updates are issued on cdrom and are user installable, they can just mail them out. I think it is ridiculous that I have to turn the unit off for program recording to work and I too would love fast dubbing of edited content, but if an update is available I bet it is limited to fixing the famous problem with programmed recording of weekly events.

Here is the somewhere I read about firmware updates:
http://www.videohelp.com/dvdrecorders.php?DVDnameid=1152&Search=Search&list=1#comments

The same site has a thread on the LRH-539: http://www.videohelp.com/dvdrecorders.php?DVDnameid=1174&Search=Search&list=1#comments

Does anyone have this problem: Each and every time I change channel the audio mode changes to MONO. I must then push the audio mode button to get stereo again. This seems to affect live tv only as recordings are still in stereo. I was thinking I might try resetting the unit but I don't want to lose my settings for such a little matter.

An almost identical PAL version of the ZRH-516 is sold in the UK as the LG RH7500. On the UK model apparently you can throw in a big hard drive and it will work with no fuss.

Somebody posted pics directly comparing the Zenith to a LG branded unit (model is unclear): http://technopyros.com/zrh516/

41 - 60 of 234 Posts