Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

221 - 234 of 234 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
external hard drive

Unfortunately, no, you cannot do so.

The hard drive is formatted with a proprietary disk sector that your PC or Mac cannot read.

·
Registered
16 Posts
New Problem !! SD Card Reader and SDHC

This unit will not read the high capacity SD cards.

I have an 8gb sd card for my digital camera which doubles as my camcorder. The SDHC (SD High Capacity) cards are not recognized by this unit.

Just an FYI for people so they know.

I doubt there would be a fix for this. I imagine support for this model is all but done.

I have 2 tivo's now too which are AWESOME. And work perfectly in Canada with my Rogers cable. The LG doesn't get used hardly at all anymore :(

·
Registered
8 Posts
I did the firmware upgrade a while back and it doesnt get rid of the audio sync problem. You still have to hit pause then play again to correct it

·
Registered
23 Posts
My ZRH516 is refusing to play commercially pressed dvds. It gives an "unknown disc" error. Recording seems to be fine. Is this a sign the dvd drive is going bad? Would there be an issue with swapping it out for a new drive of the same brand?

·
Registered
6,315 Posts
My LG (different model) was doing this (DVD's, CD's, DVD-R's) so I said "youre outta here" and picked up a different player.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Springle, you still following this thread? Tried PMing you, but your box was full.

Anyways, I was hoping you could share the firmware you received, since LG won't host it on their website for all to download.

Sorry, I don't have a 790, so I can't help you. I do have a 780, which is similar, but haven't tried doing a firmware update (since LG are stinky and won't host them on their site).

PS. Has anyone opened up their 539? I'm wondering if they use the same mainboard as the 780/790, which is an RH1000.

·
Registered
8 Posts
IDE to ffc ribbon for LG 539

I just picked up two LRH-539's from CL's but neither one has a hard drive and , worse, neither have the ribbon cable to the main board!

The main board (marked RH7000) has two "flexibleflat cable" (ffc), 40 pin connectors (20 mm wide each). One (J603) runs a ribbon cable to the media card slots (I guess) and the other (J602) would run to the IDE drive. The drive's power is a standard molex connector. The data ffc ribbon must somehow convert to the standard IDE 40 pin "bar".

I am hoping that the ffc connector would be the same as in a laptop so I could find one fairly easily and then maybe add a 2.5 hdd to 3.5 hdd adaptor to use a normal hdd.

Since I don't know if the units will even work once I can connect a hdd, I am hoping to find an inexpensive replacement for at least one of these drive cables for testing. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Sorry, I can't offer any help for you, but I would be very interested in knowing whether the flexi-strip is a standard notebook one, because that may open the option of using SATA drives, which would make things easier for attaching the HDD externally..

On my LRH-780, the flexi-strip connects to an IDE circuit-board/adaptor thing, which then connects to the HDD. There's no card reader on my machine, but you're probably correct assuming that that is what the other flexi-strip is for.

In case you're interested, you can find photos of the mainboard in my machine at http://ifndef.altervista.org/index_eng.html
Be sure to check out the "Hard Disc Changing" info, also.

edit// There might be the same IDE circuit-board/adaptor thing attached to the DVD writer.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Okay, I was thinking more about the SATA thing, and ... duh! ... there's bilateral IDE/SATA converters. Anyways, when browsing through a website for some, I came across ...

ZIF to 3.5-inch Bilateral IDE Hard Drive Converter $4.90 shipped
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.10885

There's no specs on the pins or anything, and the molex power connector suggests that it's different than the LG one.

Shipping can take four weeks, though.

·
Registered
8 Posts
IDE to ffc ribbon for LG 539

Rabbit, thank you for th input and the link. I checked that part out and ended up spending too much time on that website and now have a huge "wishlist" with them! :eek:

I don't know much about pin outs but I guessing I could not just plug the pictured adaptor with a ffc ribbon into the main board, then plug the machine's molex power directly into a HDD and then connect the drive to the adaptor board with a standard IDE ribbon cable.

Maybe some kind of cross-over cable would be needed/available?? Maybe I could use this adaptor board and a standard IDE ribbon and solder them together--which, now that I think of it, would be the same thing as plugging the ribbon in...so, maybe, it could work "out of the box".

The power connector on the board has me wondering though--this adaptor is meant to pretend to be the back of an IDE HDD to allow something (connected with ffc) to act as a HDD and that something needs power (or is the power just for the adaptor itself?). If that something needs power, then the ffc ribbon must have more pins to deliver the power, no? That would make it the wrong size ffc to fit the LG's board.

Any idea what that green jumper on the adaptor would do? (master/slave drive setting?)

Since I never got a chance to see it up close, it would be nice to see a good close up of LG's adaptor board even if just to confirm it is simply adapting the ffc pin out to an IDE pin out.

Once I figure out how much of my "wish list" I want to move into my "basket", I will make sure this part is included so I can test it out.

Thanks again for the link!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Firmware Anyone Please

I am wondering if any of you could repost or email me the firmware for the 539. None of the links are valid anymore.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It is no surprise, but around 7 years later this link is also not valid anymore...
Can anyone post a valid link to the latest (60223B_NT?) LRH-539/ZRH-516 firmware file again?

221 - 234 of 234 Posts