Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

201 - 220 of 234 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Simple Question?

Has anyone with this unit figured out how to burn a movie to a DVD without getting an "empty title" menu entry (comprised of the remaining time on the DVD)? It would seem natural to be able to hide the title, but I don't seem to be able to accomplish that. Perhaps I've missed something.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Jonar the reason it does that is the hard drive is overheating (thats what kills hd's). Chances are you have it over top of your amplifier or receiver and since heat rises even the fan on the back may not be enough to cool it. Try putting it below the amp and/or receiver.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for answering my hd question. The machine is actually nowhere near my receiver its on top of a 5-disc DVD which is turned off when the LG recorder is on. If its a problem with overheating then it maybe that I need to not do so much editing at one time. I was doing it for 3+ hours sometimes. When it comes back from the repair shop I will make sure I don't do long editing stints and see if that keeps it from frying the HD.

·
Registered
1 Posts
cant make update work

I've tried the following steps in burning a cdr-r disk:

Nero
1 Select make CD-ROM (ISO mode)
2 Check it is set to "no multisession"
3 ISO mode should not be changed
4 Label should be set to RH7000_UP
5 Then choose new
6 Choose update file LG_HDR_UPDATE.004
7 Click Burn, Write and Finalize, Write method - Disc-at-once should be used.

1. First of all, turn on the DVD player and then insert the disk in the player.
2 Push HOME button and select DISK and MUSIC
3. Following the onscreen instructions, Push REC button 3 times
4. A screen will appear telling you your current firmware version, and asking you to confirm update,
Push REC to confirm, it reads push "RECKEY" onscreen which may be confusing to some.
5. A progress bar appears, it takes about 4 mins.
6. When complete, SWITCH OFF and then back on.

When I get to #2 and select music,movie or picture the screen says no music,movie, or jpeg file...yes I press enter and that's it the menu dissappears and I cannot continue...I then lose the option of selecting music, movie or photo from the disc menu and have to reinsert the cd. Only to repeat the same failed procedure. Has anyone else had this problem and if so found a way around it?

Thanks

PS: at first I thought that I may not have burned the update disc correctly and so I requested and received a disc directly from LG, unfortuneately neither disc worked.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Question

Although I have had an LG model 539 for a couple of years, I have not noticed any problems with it. I have not used it extensively and usually watch the DVDs I have recorded with it on a Panasonic DVD recorder.

Because of having no problems and because of the size of its HDD, I purchased the successor model, the 790.

I did notice something with the 790 which irked me.

Because I wish to obtain the best possible quality, I only use it to record programs that are consistent in duration to its fixed recording times. That is, if a film is 95 minutes long, I'll record it with a DVD recorder that has a Flexible Recording speed that fills up the entire disk with the program. As the LG models don't have such a feature, then I use them for programs that are 1 hour, 2 hours, 3 hours (DVD+DL), etc.

When I record a 2 hour program (the most common duration), I usually set the timer for 2 hours and 1 minute. The machine, just like the 539, indicates that at the 2-hour speed, 2 hours and 4 minutes are available on the disk and sets the time OK.

Later, when I go to finalize the disk (DVD-RW(V)), I only find 1 hour 59 minutes were recorded and no space left over on the disk. On one occasion, it only recorded 1 hour 54 minutes.

So I sent an e-mail to LG Canada and outlined this problem. I guessed that it was using a recording bit rate that was marginally too high for the 2-hour speed. I asked if there were a firmware update to fix this problem.

I received no answer other than a query for an address where to send me a firmware update. A week or so later I received a bubble mailer with a disk in it and "790 Firmware" written on the label side by hand. I cannot even determine what kind of disk it is. There were no written instructions enclosed with the disk.

So I put it in the machine and hit "Play". It spun for a minute or so, and as far as I could determine, nothing happened. My problem did not disappear.

After reading much of this thread, I gather there is a complicated set of commands to go through to get to the firmware update screen. I haven't tried this yet to determine if it also works with the 790 model. (I assume that if they sent me a rewritable disk, when I hit "Record", it will start recording.)

Has anyone performed a firmware update for the 790?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Problem

Hi I have a problem,

Today I update my LG Lrh-539 withthe new firmware and everything go fing and after the update I close the dvd and open it and Please wating reboot...problem... some one can help me???

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've followed ALL of this thread. Thanks for all the help; from this old codger, making his very first post. Now I summon up the courage to try and install it in my 539.
Keep the faith! I bit the bullet and it went fine. Make sure and follow the suggestions on how to create the CD, because it won't work otherwise.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks to all!

As with many in this thread I also had trouble with the LRH-539 recorder shutting off after 41 minutes and the audio sync bug.

Desperate to get the firmware update I somehow managed to install the European version and ended up with a constant horizontal scroll/roll.

If not for the help from the many knowlegable users in this forum I would have been in deep do-do.

Please allow me to thank you all for taking the time to post information about the LRH-539, allowing members and non-members access to the firmware download, and for the instructions on how to perform the upgrade.

The instructions were particularly helpful when the screen is scrolling at 2-3 times per second!

Again, many thanks to you all!

Best regards,

Bruce

·
Registered
1 Posts
Is there a way of connecting the LRH-539 to an external hard drive or to my PC, so I can directly transfer my AVI movies on it, instead of copying the movies on a DVD then copying the DVDs onto the LRH-539 hard drive???

201 - 220 of 234 Posts