Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

181 - 200 of 234 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
I updated my ZRH-516 to firmware 60223B_NT (using the link from this thread).
All went well and I now have an LG logo instead of the stock Zenith one.
However, just the other day I set the timer to record a 1hr show when the disk was 80% full.
Lo and behold, it made a recording of length 4:41 !!!

So.... the bug is still alive.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have done the same thing - upgraded to 60223B_NT - thanks to those who have posted the upgrades.

Does anyone have an "LG" release that specifies what the f/w upgrades are supposed to address? I haven't really seen this anywhere, but it might be valuable.

·
Registered
1 Posts
On mine I saw M10 E11 D27 -- haven't a clue what it means -- D27 is the last item in the string when check your FW version (SETUP > LOCK > 7 8 8 9), but it does give you something else to look at while you contemplate scrounging up a miscellaneous IDE Hard Drive, doing the HDD swap and firmware upgrade.
When you say "(SETUP > LOCK > 7 8 8 9)", do the ">" indicate right arrow?

Because when I do that it just changes the password and does not show me the FW version.

Thanks
Carlos

·
Registered
2 Posts
Problem playing on other systems

The DVD-R's I burn on my LRH-539 don't play well on other systems. It pauses briefly (1-2 seconds) every minute. Has anyone else seen this problem? It doesn't occur when I play it back on the LRH-539, but has occurred on two or three other manufacturers systems. One is JVC's HR-XVC1U DVD/VCR combo. I haven't tried other DVD formats.

Is there a setting I should change before burning? I wondered if the auto-chaptering was somehow the issue, but this behaviour exhibits itself every minute and my auto-chapter is set for every five minutes.

Aside from that, the 60223B_NT firmware fixed my 4:10 problem as well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Autochaptering screwed up playback on my HP computer so I turned it off. Playback would slow to a crawl at each chapter point. I much prefer manual chaptering, which plays back fine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Audio problems through DVD's tuner

Has anyone experienced any problems when the sound is played through the tuner of the DVD (when it it "resting").

I first noticed that two of my recordings were not successful (it wasn't the 4:11 issue). The recordings had stopped at 17 and 23 seconds. I was wondering what had happended and as I was investigating I noticed that the audio from the live TV was screwed up as it was playing through the DVD's tuner (think Mickey Mouse). The player was idle, and was not recording. My hard drive isn't particularly full. This has all f a sudden cropped up after having the player for around 9 months.

I did have the 4:11 problem at one time (didn't we all), but that was addressed with the new driver the LG sent out to me.

Any suggestions or thoughts? Thanks

·
Registered
37 Posts
HDD Icon

Well Hothersale, it takes me a while but I eventually get around to doing things :D
Now that my favourite shows are back on, I have been paying real close attention to what my recorder is doing. With very little exception, everytime a commercial starts, and when my shows come back on, the HDD STEREO icon will show up for about two seconds in the upper right hand corner. This occurs during time shifting. What this means or does.....I have no idea. I have tried every combination of butons to see if a marker is placed on the recording so that I can skip commercials......but to no avail. Possibly a marker is being set but there is no way to skip commercials do to hollywood influence. Who knows. It sure would be nice if we could skip the commercials instead of fast forwarding through them. I mean, come on hollywood, it doesn't matter if we instantly skip the commercial at the click of a buton or fast forward through it. Either way, we aren't watching the commercials.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Accessing the hard drive to overcome the lack of fast dubbing

Is it possible to connect the ZRH 516 to an external computer in order to access the ZRH's hard drive (without physically opening the unit)? I'm not too sure how Firewire works, but might that plug also be used for output instead of just input from a DV camcorder?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Hi guys,

I was really interested in the LG model many months ago,
that this thread is all about, however....

yesterday, while at my local Walmart ( in Canada ) I happened to
see a "Symphonic" brand DVD recorder.

Not only is this DVD recorder capable of recording all of the popular discs,
it also sports an 80 gig hard drive .

Oh and the kicker is this, ... it's only $149.96 !

At this point, I don't know, this seems to be a pretty darn good price
for such a dvd recorder, considering only last year at this time I had picked
up a Lite-On brand DVD recorder at $139.99, which only could write DVDs. It had NO hard drive in it.

Prices are always dropping, and this really has mixed up the playing field, and makes the LG model much less appealing.

The other great thing is that if this "Symphonic" machine is a piece of garbage, Walmart will take it back, no questions asked.

I am wondering who makes the Symphonic brand, it must be one of the larger manufactures, who have just rebranded this recorder.

·
Registered
59 Posts
found this thru google....

FUNAI Corporation, Inc., established in 1977, has offices in Rutherford, New Jersey and Torrance, California. Funai Corporation is the North American sales and marketing company for consumer electronic products manufactured by our parent company, Funai Electric Co., Ltd., of Japan, under the brand names of SYLVANIA, SYMPHONIC, FUNAI, and EMERSON.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Recently my display window at the front of my LG LRH-539 recorder stopped working. I believe it had something to do with it becoming unplugged. Usually i see the time and a little clock indicating a timer, but now i don't see anything. Thankfully, my timer still records my shows and my unit works flawlessly despite that one issue…I have tried updating the firmware, to hopefully get it back to normal without any success. I have also tried pressing the power key for 5 seconds to reset it. Nothing. Also, I’ve unplugged the unit as well. Again, Nothing…if anyone has any suggestions, I would really appreciate it. It was purchased over a year ago. Thanks!

·
Registered
19 Posts
In SETUP Menu go to "General Setting" select "Power Save Mode" and turn it to "OFF" This option turn "on" or "off" front display window.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks Linuz...That worked well. I guess i mistakenly turned it on and overlooked that setting in the manual. I was starting to get worried. Thanks again for your prompt response.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Been a while this board is great

I updated firmware and fixed my 4:01 41:11 problems thanks to the board.

I still have not been able to fix my formatting or rw disks if they end up in my PC first. I tried to format it on my pc and take a clean rw from the LG and make a copy but my pc or nero will not do it it fails every time so I guess I willl have some rw's strictly for LG and some for my PC.

on a different topic. As someone else pointed out I removed chapters also to make playback on other systems possible without freezing !!!

Is there any way to remove the menu selection when making disks. I would like to put a movie on to the LG and burn it back but not have to click through the menu boxes that the LG creates at the beginning. I haven't found a way around this yet.

It may be simple or perhaps not even possible.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Rip

The quickest way I can think of is to record it in the LG and then use a freeware program like DVD Shrink on your PC to "rip" the movie and copy it without the chapters.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have one LRH-539 since 3 month, and i loses all my programmation everytime there is a power failure. I call LG canada and they can't help me, as the tech doesn't know if it's by design or a problem.

Does anyone else have this problem?

·
Registered
17 Posts
It is normal. Mine does the same thing. I use a small UPS. My programing isn't lost, and I can even record for a few hours when there is a power outage.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Stuck endlessly at "Hello checking harddrive please wait"

Hello I have been reading this thread and have seen other people have the LRH-539 go into the "Hello" please wait checking harddrive" then shutdown and restart and do this endlessly. I have 2 of these machines and now both have done this on me. Thankfully I have the still under warranty and Future shop has replaced the hard drive in the first and as my second machine is now with them I am expecting the second machine to be given a new harddrive too.
Is this something I can look forward to happening again and as such my loosing the programing that I hadn't been fast enough to burn to disc? Is there anyway I can get it to read the hard drive long enough for me to get my stuff off??? is it that the hard drive is fried as Future shop is telling me? I read the post on this and I haven't really seen what you all have figured out is the problem with it doing this... any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
6 Posts
Now both machines are in the shop

Follow up on my previous post, my second LG is back in the shop the hard drive that was just replaced a month ago is toast again with that "Hello...." message. My second machine is still in the shop waiting for a part ... Needless to say I am just boiling mad here. This sounds like its going to be a never ending saga of having to get the hard drives replaced.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hi All,

I just purchased an Open Box lrh-539 From Best Buy. I noticed that my TV (a 60" Sony rear Projection) no longer changes to Wide-Screen when I put in a Wide Screen DVD. With my previous Sony DVD playerthe screen size always adjusted automatically.

Is this normal with this unit or something that is messed up with mine?

Thanks,

Tom

181 - 200 of 234 Posts