Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
having an issue with my 2nd new LG BD555C Blu-Ray player.
Hope this is the right area.... I have a Tosh Regza 46 LCD (RV535). It handles up to 1080p. I previously had a Pioneer DVD player. These worked flawlessly together. I tried my 1st LG BD555C palyer last week, and during playback of a Blu-Ray movie, there were fine "flecks" flashing all over the screen with or without the movie playing. I'm using HDMI cable and the Output setting on the Blu-Ray player were tried on both Auto and 1080p.
When I set the Blu-Ray player output to 720p, the picture looked fine.
So I then hooked up my PS3, set it to 1080p mode, played the same movie back, and it played with a great picture. No picture defects. So I exchange my LG BD555C for another....thinking it was defective. Now, I'm here now with the new LG BD555C with another Blu-Ray movie and I have the same results. "Flecks" flashing across the screen. So did I get another lemon? Really really confused!
Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
bill

·
Super Moderator
56,509 Posts
What length and gauge of HDMI cable(s) are you using? The "flecks" are called sparklies and are indicative of a poor HDMI connection or a poor HDMI cable. The fact that it works with some equipment seems to indicate that the signal from the LG may not be strong enough to overcome the loss on the cable. If you switched to 1080i for example, it may work as well, but that's probably not what you want to do (720P worked). Sounds like you may need a better HDMI cable - better usually means a larger gauge (smaller number) thicker cable. If you have another shorter HDMI cable, you could give that a try temporarily to see if the cable is the problem.

Here's a list of HDMI issues and a list of things to check at the bottom.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=71112

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Five Seven,
I will swap cables in the AM!! I have 2 x 3' HDMI cables. One for DVR and one for Blu-Ray. Will update this post with results!

Cheers,
bill

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Solved!

Hi Five Seven,
I swapped out the HDMI cable connecting TV to Blu-ray player and the problem is now gone. I'm not sure what the gauge of the cable is, but I'm off to replace it.
Thanks so much! You saved me another trip to FS! Since the problem is not the fault of the Blu-ray player, maybe you could change the title of the thread?

Many many thanks,
bill:)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
On another note....
CD playback on the new Blu-Ray player seems to suffer from the occassional dropout, whereas never had this issue with the Pioneer DVD Player. Tried them both today....LG has sound dropout during a CD playback. Same CD played back in Pioneer DVD player is fine. The Music CD is a little scuffed up and it is a store purchased CD. Any thoughts? Blu-Ray player more sensitive to scrathes and scuffs?

Thanks again,
bill

·
Super Moderator
56,509 Posts
A "dirty" CD may not play as well on one player as another - depends on error correction, laser, etc. Title changed.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Some of my older CDs' seem to have occasional "drop outs" during playback. They are marked up a bit. I'll just keep the Pioneer DVD player for CD playback. Going to keep it anyway!:)

Thanks 57!

Cheers,
bill

1 - 7 of 7 Posts