Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,432 Posts
I thought I had the latest but now it tells me there is yet another update. The last one was last weekend. I can't recall the numbers but it is something like 4.942. something.

·
Registered
267 Posts
On boxing week WM was selling LG BD555C and Sony BDP-S270 for $86. I picked up the LG. The picture quality was excellent, but I returned it the same day because the kids did not like limited internet apps. I purchased a Samsung BD-C5500 at FS, but also returned it do to lip sinc issue and internet apps like annoying way of entering names in to youtube search or BD live not working. I went back to WM and now they had Sony BDP-S370 for $86. Finally the Sony is the one I kept. It has issues like Fat32 limitation, but overall it is the best unit from the three I tried and for $86 it cannot be beat. With wired internet connection it works very well and DVD up-converting is fantastic. Unfortunately for some no Netflix app in this unit.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm having the same problem with my bd555c, it wont play some mkv files off

the usb stick.

Has anyone found out a way to play mkv files?

·
Registered
1 Posts
What size is your external drive. I could not get my 3Tb external NTFS drive to work with LG BD555 through the USB port. Any ideas. Thanks

·
Premium Member
6,432 Posts
Maybe it only supports up to 1Tb?

·
Registered
137 Posts
> I could not get my 3Tb external NTFS drive to work with LG BD555 through the USB port.

You may want to Google "Advanced format hard drive" +(the manufacturer name) for tips/info.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Large mkv files

Does the player BD555c have a problem with large mkv files?

I tried formatting my memory stick to a NTFS file system and then put on a 7GB mkv. My player saw the file but when it tried to play it, it froze up and I had to un-plug/re-plug it to get it working again. Tried the file on a double layered writable DVD and it caused the same problem.

Has anyone experienced his?

Thanks

Z

·
Premium Member
6,432 Posts
It would be a problem wih your mkv. I played a bigger file from my USB key and it played it no problem.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
My JVC BP-1 will play files bigger than 4GB on a DVD+/-R, but will only play files smaller than 4GB from a USB stick or hard drive. Your model is similar to the JVC so I don't understand why it won't play the 7GB file on the dual layer DVD-RW. Maybe it won't play files bigger than 4GB on a DVD-RW, but will play them from a DVD+/-R.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The mkv runs fine on my computer but then with all the codecs who knows what the player has. When I formatted the stick I didn't enable compression but I doubt that would cause the problem.

I guess probably the player just doesn't have the right codecs and then just locks up.

Z

·
Premium Member
6,432 Posts
What profile does your mkv encoding have? It might be an oddball and that is the reason why it doesn't like it. Like I said, I played a 7.Gb file from my key and it worked perfectly.

Search for the program called Mediainfo. Very good program to let you see what coding your file was used with.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey Danster,

Thanks I downloaded Mediainfo and it provides a lot of info. Not sure exactly what you are looking for but this is the information it provided on the files I can't play. Are you able to tell anything from this?

Thanks

Z.

Format : Matroska
File size : 6.56 GiB
Duration : 2h 13mn
Overall bit rate : 7 054 Kbps
Encoded date : UTC 2011-02-22 03:20:46
Writing application : mkvmerge v4.4.0 ('Die Wiederkehr') built on Oct 31 2010 21:52:48
Writing library : libebml v1.0.0 + libmatroska v1.0.0

ID : 2
Format : DTS
Format/Info : Digital Theater Systems
Muxing mode : Header stripping
Codec ID : A_DTS
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 1 510 Kbps
Channel(s) : 6 channels
Channel positions : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Bit depth : 24 bits
Compression mode : Lossy
Stream size : 1.40 GiB (21%)
Language : English

ID : 1
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : [email protected]
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 5 frames
Muxing mode : Header stripping
Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Bit rate : 5 546 Kbps
Width : 1 280 pixels
Height : 544 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 2.35:1
Frame rate : 23.976 fps
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.332
Stream size : 5.03 GiB (77%)
Writing library : x264 core 114 r1913 5fd3dce
Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=5 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x133 / me=umh / subme=8 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=1 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=0 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=12 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=0 / interlaced=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=1 / weightb=1 / open_gop=1 / weightp=2 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=23 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=40 / rc=2pass / mbtree=1 / bitrate=5546 / ratetol=1.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=0 / qpmax=51 / qpstep=4 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00
Language : English

·
Premium Member
6,432 Posts
This is what I was looking for: Format profile : [email protected]

IMHO, everything looks like it should play for you. Nothing looks out of place unless it is right there in front of my eyes and I can't see it....

·
Registered
137 Posts
> Writing application : mkvmerge v4.4.0

It might be a problem with headers being compressed in the MKV file, which many players do not like. Compressed headers were enabled by default since MKVMerge 4.1.

You can try re-muxing the file using MKVToolnix (MKVMerge GUI). Make sure you disable (check) the compressed option default in MKVMerge GUI.

·
Registered
5 Posts
LG Respond

Here is the latest on this issue. Some others had problems with this file not playing on their players although they were not using an LG player, but it does suggest there maybe something unique about the file that does not show up in the stats info.

What is strange however is that when I questions LG about it this was their response:

Hello xxxx xxxx, thank you for contacting LG Customer service.

After speaking at length with our technical department regarding this they have concluded that the file on the key is too large for the internal memory of the unit. The size of the file would require a BD570 or BD590 to play.

Thanks
Dave H.
LG Customer Service
LG Canada

So Danster are you playing those large files on a BD555? Are these LG tech clueless?

Z

·
Premium Member
6,432 Posts
That is bizarre. Would there be differences as far as hardware goes inside every bd555c made? My usb key is 8gb and the file I had played, there were less than 150megs left on it. How big is the limit?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I too had trouble playing some MP4 files on a LGBD555C. After some experimentation I found the problem to be attributed to frame rate. I had encoded MP4 files with "variable framerate" which wouldn't play on the blu-ray player. When I reincoded them with "constant framerate" the problem was solved.

The MP4 files with the H.264 codec that was giving me problems before, could now be viewed. I assume that could be the same issue with the MKV. Frame rates.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just an update. I got my MKV files to work as well when i reincoded them with "constant framerate." It seems that the player cant handle both MKV and MP4 files that use variale framerates.

·
Registered
468 Posts
looking in MKV Merge GUI and I cant see a setting for 'framerate' either constant or variable.

What encoding program are you using?

I too have the LG 555c and it just stops playing some files after a few minutes- while others play just fine... I decompressed all the headers as a previous post noted, but I cant see how to change the framerate setting.

Thanks! :)

21 - 40 of 41 Posts