Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought LG blu-ray player model BD 555c did research that it plays MKV files and Divx format.
Using my Samsung 16GB Fat formatted USB stick i put on few divx, xVid, MKV files in only half of my movies i can watch. The problem with the unplayable divx files i get a message of "WARNING can't play file properly". Files are not large about 800,000 KB to 400,000 KB in size.
Frustrated went through the menu option on the Blu-ray found that i needed to register to play DivX format. So i registered with DivX plus player online with the registry key given on the blu-ray, used Divx TO GO software encoding files which took 5 hours for two 600,000 kb movies and they still don't play on the USB port on the blu ray.

Thinking maybe LG firmware needed updating, but online the firmware is for the 550 551 series players.
Thinking this player is not playing files like it should MPEG 4 files are not playing, TS file plays, avi divx XVid played, but not MKV file or other DivX AVI Xvid files. Anyone can explain why and if i need to encode the file to another format it can play or easier to make a DVD VOB file which will take 6 hours to produce.

Another option is go buy Sony BDP-S370 looks as folks are getting there Divx files playing on it with no problems. Only reason i bought the LG BD555c is people wrote online that it played more file then the sony one did like MKV files. So maybe if any stores have in stock the Sony blu-ray i can see if i'm doing something wrong with the files i have.

·
Registered
137 Posts
It played the Xvid files I had without problems.

It does not play MKVs that have compressed headers. You can re-mux the files using MKVToolnix (MKV Merge GUI), and they will play (assuming that the problem was compressed headers). Make sure you disable (check) the compressed option default in MKV Merge GUI.

BTW, Future Shop advertises this player as being DLNA compatible. It is not. You may want to check out the Samsung that is selling at Sears and The Source (?) for the same price as the LG 555. I don't know the model number offhand, but it is the one that comes with The Lord of the Rings.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For some reason i can't play certain files. I'm guessing they are copyright protected so they won't play on USB stick blu-ray. Even re-mux didn't work out with compressed headers disabled. Thanks for the tip on the the MKVToolnix software but it didn't help.
Buying both blu-ray players sony 370 and LG 555c have the same problem playing some not all my movies i downloaded. I don't know what more i can do but watch them on my PC or transfer them into a DVD format.

Weird that some movies i downloaded play while others with the same format file divx Avi Xvid have difficulty in playing on USB blu-ray.

These are the type of files my sony 370 maybe able to play:
* Memory Stick Video Format
* - MPEG-4 SP (AAC LC)
* - H.264/MPEG-4 AVC High Profile (AAC LC)
* - MPEG-2 TS(H.264/MPEG-4 AVC, AAC LC)
* MP4 file format
* - H.264/MPEG-4 AVC High Profile (AAC LC)
* MPEG-1 (MPEG Audio Layer 2)
* MPEG-2 PS (MPEG2 Audio Layer 2, AAC LC, AC3(Dolby Digital), LPCM)
* MPEG-2 TS(MPEG2 Audio Layer 2, AC3(Dolby Digital), AAC LC)
* MPEG-2 TS(H.264/MPEG-4 AVC, AAC LC)
* AVI
* - Motion JPEG (Linear PCM)
* - Motion JPEG (μ-Law)
* AVCHD (.m2ts / .mts)
* DivX
* WMV
* - VC-1(WMA Standard V2)

While LG 555c plays:
Divx 3,4,5,6 standard
H.264/mpeg-4 AVC
Mpeg 2 PS
Mpeg 2TS
Audio DTD DTS MP3 WMA AAC AC3 32-48Khz
Bit rate 32-192 WMA
32 - 320 MP3

·
Registered
137 Posts
> I'm guessing they are copyright protected so they won't play on USB stick blu-ray.

I don't think AVIs or MKVs can be copyright protected (DRMed).

BTW, the player I was talking about before is the BD-C5500. The Source raised the price again, but it is still under $100 at Sears. I've never used this player before, but just thought I would mention it, in case you want to return the LG.

And I make a mistake: it only comes with Fellowship of the Rings, and not the entire trilogy.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello. I started looking fro firmware changes for the BD555c adn I foudn this thread....

Anywho, liek you, the only firmware updates I was able to find on teh Lge.com site were for other mdoels, whcih i have rad elsewehre are compatible with the 555c. I loaded them onto my USB stick and the versions were older, so no go.

But just a few minutes ago i plugged the BD555C into my router and am now downloading an update. I forget what the new version is, but the original one was BD4.598.00.00.C. I think the new one is Bd.748.00.00.x.

My BD555C plays all of my divx files jsut fine, as well as my few .mp4 videos that are on my cell phone (mp4 res is 640x360).

I was mucking about with /mkv and it turn out that the player does NOT play ones with audio encoded to AC3, just DTS and DD. There are a couple free adn easy programs that can convert AC3 to other audio codecs, and I'm sure they work fine, but jsut be sure to avoid AC#-encoded audio and you're good to go.

I have played .mkv file at 720 and 1080,and all look great, but on default zoom, they play rather small, so I have to zoom them in to fit using my TV settings. But they still look as sharp as they do on my 1920x1200 computer displays.

For under 100 dollars, the BD555C was a great buy. I've had excellent experiences with all LG players I've owned. I spent more than expected on my 55" LED, since i started with getting a 47".:)

It also plays divx files up to 30fps at 1920x108. So i can play any 720p and 1080p download out there.

For teh record, my LG combo of the 55LE5300 TV and BD555C BR player make DVD and non-HD content look bloody fantastic - FAR superior to the plasma/Panasonic combo that's upstairs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Okay the new version i jsut finished is BD4.942.00.C.C.

The actual downlaod took a lame 23 minutes, but teh updatre itself only took a minute. After goign through the options adn menus, I fail to see adn differences. A release nteo woudl ahve been nice. Perhaps I can make use of the new firmware version number.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advice but don't have a router to plug into my 555c or monitor to see the update. So i'm getting sick and tired of all the encoding of files finding they won't play on either LG or Sony blu-ray so i decided to take back the LG 555c and keep the 370 sony even though my Lg looks better on my Panny Plasma once i get my HDMI cable i can watch 1080P rather then option now 1080i on the sony 370 with component cables.

I don't have any time enjoying viewing movies i downloaded because i'm always encoding or re-muxing video figuring out what can play or not. Using Super video software and Prism 1.6 and Handbrake or Magic Video converter...

Thought of getting Sony 570 blu-ray because it may stream files wireless from my PC but found reviews that it's hit and miss when streaming certain Wireless video. Probably won't play files that wouldn't play through USB stick anyway so why bother paying $80 for DNLA wireless n signal if can't play through USB port. I have two sony DVD recorders i never really used so having a 3D blu-ray player with wireless i can't see using at all. So i guess i will keep it simple play USB stick files that can play on my sony 370 and encode the rest onto VOB files on disc or watch them on my 23.6" samsung LED rather then Panny G20.

Also had issues with LG earlier in the week with warranty of a microwave Magneto they claim 5-9 years. Microwave is only 2 years old but fail to find service around my area to repair it to make a long story short i was screwed by LG and there lovely customer service.

·
Registered
2 Posts
A shame you returned your 555C, I'm having a pretty good time with it thus far. Certainly doesn't beat VLC on my PC for playback (particularly if there are some non-standard subtitles appearing, like simultaneously played lines or offset positions), but I've had very few issues otherwise, and watching some of my anime on my 52" from the couch is quite a step up from a comp chair.

For anyone else stumbling upon this and having some .mkv playback issues, some additional info: the 555C appears to only play files if they're encoded with h.264 high profile 4.1 and below. It can't handle 5.1 (maybe they'll update it sometime). You can determine which profile version with mkvinfo GUI, included with mkvmerge GUI, and there are numerous converters out there if you need to switch it from 5.1 to 4.1.

I'm finding very little info with the 555C out there thus far, so hopefully this might help some folks out!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for contributing, I'm also finding very little info on the bd555c. I just wanted to ask you if you have any experience with mkv and subtitles, as I'm having a hard time making this work. So far, what has worked is using low-res subtitles in an .idx or .sub file. High-res subtitles don't show up or are all scrambled and impossible to see (all I see are some green lines at the bottom of the TV). PGS/SUP subtitles don't work. Of course, low-res subtitles aren't as pretty (they're not smooth). I'm using blurip (plus all the other necessary apps such as hali, mkvtoolnix, etc required for it to work). Any help will be appreciated!

hp

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ah, unfortunately I have no experience with incorporating any of my subbing or .mkv creation, just what I've noticed comparing playback of some anime. Far as I can tell the 555C basically ignores any fonts and just uses its own low-quality one; I tried a few different shows all with different sub fonts and it was always displaying the same.
I haven't seen any scrambling or green lines in any thus far; are they appearing properly in VLC player and such? Beyond that is past my knowledge I'm afraid.

·
Premium Member
6,432 Posts
The reason you guys aren't finding any info is because the 555C is intended for Canadians. The US equivalent is 530, in Europe, it's the 551 and 550 depending if you are in a PAL or SECAM area.

The same machine is the same all across. The software inside is what dictates what works where. I was in the same boat as well. It took me a while to find the update that it needed.

It is a good little machine. I got mine for 98.88 after a price match. It is neat to be able to play stuff from my USB key. Would be nice to have the Netflix update for these machines....

·
Registered
137 Posts
Jesushumper wrote:
> I was mucking about with /mkv and it turn out that the player does NOT play ones with audio encoded to AC3, just DTS and DD.

Dolby Digital *is* AC-3, so I don't know what the problem is.

hp9000 wrote:
> I just wanted to ask you if you have any experience with mkv and subtitles, as I'm having a hard time making this work. So far, what has worked is using low-res subtitles in an .idx or .sub file.

Look for .srt subtitles, as these are plain text. You can open them up in Notepad and edit them (which I suggest doing, as sometimes, you find lame stuff added, like "brought to you by *somestupidname*" at the beginning or end).

Yeah, this is a decent machine, but for the price, I returned it, in favour of the Seiki BD660, which I got for around half the price. Some things the LG does better, but Seiki is all-region/region-selectable, so the LG doesn't really offer anything special for the extra cost. Both use same/similar chipsets (Mediatek). I would have kept the LG if it had DLNA.

·
Registered
31 Posts
i use my 555c and a external hard drive to play mkv and blu ray ripped to the hard drive it playes the blu rays no problem but if i try to fast forward i have problems it will not fast forward it just freezes and reboots...why? will a firmware update fix this?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Look for .srt subtitles, as these are plain text. You can open them up in Notepad and edit them (which I suggest doing, as sometimes, you find lame stuff added, like "brought to you by *somestupidname*" at the beginning or end).

The thing is that since I own the bluray movies (I just want to rip them to disk so as to keep the originals intact) I also have access to the subtitles (in pgs format, as BDs do). I don't want to have to go online to find .srt files and edit them and whatnot when I already have the source...

·
Premium Member
6,432 Posts
I use my USB with xvid files on it and it fast forwards and whatever else I do with it with no problems. Maybe the latest firmware will fix it for you.

Interestingly, the box would tell me there was an update for it. It asked me if I wanted to update and I said yes. It then tells me that I have a bad connection. I had to try about 5 different times for it to work. What gets me was each time it told me I had a bad connection, I could search Picassa pics with no problem as well as Youtube.

Just a little picky box I guess....

·
Registered
137 Posts
> The thing is that since I own the bluray movies (I just want to rip them to disk so as to keep the originals intact) I also have access to the subtitles (in pgs format, as BDs do). I don't want to have to go online to find .srt files and edit them and whatnot when I already have the source...

How about instead of MKVs, make AVCHDs? TSMuxer supports .SUP subtitles.

Note that AVCHDs have more overhead than MKVs. An MKV of around 4.2GB converted to AVCHD pretty much fills up a D5.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You'll have to teach me here. How's the picture/sound quality of AVCHDs compared to MKVs? I've never used AVCHDs.

Thanks!

·
Registered
137 Posts
AVCHD = BD-Video on a DVD (or the directory structure saved to a HDD).

The quality will be the same as the MKV, since there is no re-encoding required. It just repackages the MKV's video/audio stream.

http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/convert_mkv_to_avchd_for_ps3_and_blu-ray.cfm
Since you're familiar with MKVToolnix, you shouldn't have a problem using TSMuxer.

Note: Computer software players may not play AVCHD files on a HDD, the same as they won't play BD video files from HDD.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I bought the BD570 for $150 and can confirm that it plays MKV from usb key. I like the interface too, compared to my BD370c that still works great also

·
Registered
31 Posts
i dont have a problem playing mkv files just blu ray rips m2ts files..and what is the latest update because when i go to the lg website it has nothing for the 555c...

1 - 20 of 41 Posts