Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi

I am taking all my DVD's and ripping them onto a USB drive for easy access but I am hitting a few walls in the process.
I started with MacX DVD ripper pro and ripped them as a copy but the panning is always jerky( any ideas?)
I then tried iMKV maker but the 570 says that it doesn't recognize the format?
Now I have DL'ed mkv files off the internet and they work fine....any ideas on that one?
setup is as follows( all with HDMI)

LG570c Bluray
to
Pioneer Elte 32
to
Sony 55701

OH and I am on a MAC:)
Any ideas and or apps that work well for DVD archiving would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Hey Stirling, I just went through the process of converting all my DVD's to MKV also. I already had ripped all 200 + of them as ISO files, (created with DVDshrink + AnyDVD), on my NAS and just wanted to save space by compressing to h264 mkv files.

If you have the ripping figured out (getting the DVD to the HD either as an ISO or folder), I'd suggest Handbrake (available for Mac OS) for the encoding, there are many sites recommending best settings (good start is the Handbrake forum). I reduced my "movie only" ISO's from 4gb+ to from 1-2gb with no quality loss I can see even on my 100" projection screen, YMMV though.

It even has a queue you can set up which worked great for me, I just pointed it to my NAS and left it... about a week later they were all converted and play great.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts