Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bear with me. Somewhere I read it was illegal to sell TVs with a NTSC tuner after a certain date. edit: Here's what I found

"The reason you don't see any analog TV's without ATSC tuners in ANY store in the nation is because it's illegal after February 28th, 2007 to sell them."

and this dated march 2007;

"U.S. retailers will be taking analog TVs off their shelves at midnight Wednesday (Feb. 28) when a government mandate takes effect requiring all TVs sold in the U.S. to include a digital TV tuner.

The March 1 deadline is part of the U.S. digital TV transition that began in earnest last March when a Federal Communications Commission mandate took effect requiring that all TV sets 25 inches or larger must include a digital tuner compliant with the Advanced Television Systems Committee's DTV standard. "

Does Canada have the same rule? Has the CRTC (or whoever it would be) decided consumers need to be protected from buying a NTSC only TV? I wonder because I bought two ntsc only tvs last week. They were BNIB and dirt cheap but I knew they were ntsc only. They were clearance, FINAL SALE.

Others, especially those on tight budgets (some seniors, single parents. students) can't afford to buy a tv they can't return or exchange.

So, does anyone know for sure? Is it illegal in any way shape or form for stores o sell non-atsc tvs ?

thanks

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
I don't know where you are picking this stuff from but its false.

A manufacturer can put an NTSC tuner in a tv if they want.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.