Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched for previous discussions of this, and posters seemed to conclude that each set has its quirks, and that's about it.

Here's my question -- is edge-lit LED a significant-enough picture quality improvement to warrant a $ 500 price premium?

I am looking at two Samsung Series 6 46" sets (LN46C610 and UN46C6300). One is edge-lit LED, the other is edge-lit CCFL. All other features seem identical -- except that the LED version is much thinner, and this is of no concern or interest to me.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
The best thing to do would be to go to a store that has them both, hopefully side by side or near each other) set the picture mode on both to movie mode and compare. Then it will be up to your eyes to see if there is a $500 difference in picture quality.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi eimaj:

I'd love to do a side-by-side comparison. In the stores I've been visiting, this would involve physically moving one set.

I've looked at them both, separated by several aisles in each case, in two stores, and can't see any difference at all.

·
Registered
163 Posts
The C610 is actually a backlit LCD not edge lit.
The panel of the C6300 will be more reflective than that of the C610.
Tha jack pack of the C6300 is very much focused on HDMI connections. There is only one component/composite connection. Note it is one or the other but not both. The C610 has a more comprehensive jack pack. So if you will be connecting more than one component with RCA connections then the LED is not for you.
The LED will use about 40% less energy than the LCD, but that will not offset the price difference!

If you are serious about buying one or the other, then ask the store to move either of the sets next to the other. If the store is serious about selling they will be happy to do so. They are not that heavy and only takes a couple of minutes to do this.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
My thoughts on led are if it is not full array local dimming it is not worth the money over ccfl lcd. I have not seen that much of a difference of non local dimming led over ccfl lighting to justify a significant price difference.

Your best bet for a local dimming full array set would be the LG 47" LE8500 if you are loooking to spend more to get led.

The 55" is less then the 47" at Best Buy right now...

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great Info -- Many Thanks

Hi HTGuy2:

Yes, the CCFL model (610) has one more each of composite and component inputs -- and the extra composite input is located more conveniently on the side of the unit, as are the 2 USB inputs and one of the 4 HDMI. The LED is too thin for any side-accessable inputs.

Score one victory for an extra half-inch or so of thickness at the bezel.

And I agree with eimaj that I can't see where the difference comes from with CCFL over edge-lit LED. The LED sure is thin, though. And overall, a little more stylish bezel.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts