Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking into buying a tv for my boyfriend's birthday so I've been doing some research and ended up with the age old question - to wait or not to wait? It has to go in a bright room beside a window, so I've decide on LCD over plasma (though I do like to watch movies in a darker room, so black levels are a consideration). From what I've read, it sounds like an LED backlit screen with local dimming will give me the best picture, but these sets are currently way out of my budget (around $1200 and I'm looking for a 46"-50" screen). Is this something that's worth waiting for, or will I be happy with what I can buy now? The LG 5300 series is one I'm currently looking at. I'd be upgrading from a Sony 42WE620 rear projection. Thanks!

·
Registered
42 Posts
If you are upgrading from a rear projection you will be very happy with the results. We did that a couple of years ago and we have no regrets. Rear Projection TV's are so washed out in sunlight. Locally dimming TV's haven't blown me away personally.

What I would worry about more is how well the TV handles action. Some of the cheaper LCD TV's are not very good at displaying moving objects smoothly. I would pay more attention to that if I was looking. Also beware that some of the TV's on sale out there are still only 720P not full HD (1080P). Otherwise this fall is expected to be one of the best times to buy (around the time of American Thanksgiving) because there is a glut of supply and the economy is still a bit sluggish so there should be some great sales. I would wait for those sales though. The best time to buy a new TV is always between American Thanksgiving and Boxing Day.

In technology the next "best thing" is always just around the corner. 3D is also out now and will be more affordable soon but not long after that they will likely be shipping TV's that do 3D without glasses. There is always some new feature around the corner you could wait for but then again if you are willing to wait you probably don't really need a new TV yet.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
My two cents.

I think you should reconsider Plasma. A plasma in "Normal" mode is fine for a bright room but turn it to "Cinema" mode at night.

Having said that, if you go LCD then LED Backlighting sure is superior to CCFL. I'm not convinced Edge lit is that much better than CCFL so be sure to spend some time viewing the sets yourself in order to make a decision.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for your advice. I'll take another look at plasmas, the prices are certainly appealing. I was worried about power consumption too, but the more I look into that, the more I see it's not as big of a deal as I thought it was. I'm glad I'm not interested in 3D to confuse matters even more (bf can't even see it).

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
"Locally dimming TV's haven't blown me away personally."

Then you have not seen these sets versus non local dimming led or regular ccfl lcd in a darkened environment. They simply blow them away for black levels in a dark room rivaling plasmas in this category.

But unfortunately, you do pay more for this tech.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've been looking at the G25 and S2, but to be honest I'd rather have the 50" (42 to 46 just doesn't seem like enough of an upgrade)... so I'll have to hope for a really good sale. Also considering the Samsung 540 because of the price. Sorry for the off-topic, since this is in the LCD forum now.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Just make sure to rotate the material you view on any plasma. Too much of the black bar movies, 4:3 content (black bars on the sides), gaming and computer monitor duty at one time can lead to image retention, which can be cured with hours :( of full screen content, or potential burn in which never goes away.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That is a concern since it'll be used for gaming, but we don't play the same game for months on end, so hopefully it wouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Local dimming is when individual sections of leds can dim themselves in order to increase black level or even turn themselves off when pitch black areas appear. Samsung has actually figured out how to do local dimming with edge lit, but it does not seem to be as effective as full array (whole back panel) led lcds.

Many edge lit sets can do dynamic dimming where the whole of the picture is reduced, but unfortunately not individual sections like the higher end led lcds.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We ended up getting a 50" G20 (still waiting for the delivery). I was extremely unimpressed by the LED edge lit displays, especially next to the plasmas. Going back to my original question... since the local dimming models were way out of our current budget, we decided that no, it wasn't worth waiting. An awesome plasma display right now is better :)

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Well thanks for the explanation. Here I thought I had a good tv lol. Guess I should have researched more.
There is nothing wrong with your set. It is a great tv. Don't let the anyone strong arm you into thinking otherwise.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Na i love my tv gaming is awesome on it and bluerays wow. I was actually leaning towards panasonic plasma but my wofe liked the fretures offered with this tv. Shes the only person that can change my stuborn mind on anything. Ive never caved to peer pressure not once.

·
Banned
220 Posts
You have a good TV, just the contrasts are not up to what they advertise, A LED with no local dimming is similar in picture to a very high end LCD but you still have benefits of saving on energy and low heat. Most of the 3d TV's have the dimming features which is bull since they are trying to push that. Samsung's 8500 LED with full array and local dimming is very good but very
expensive but similar contrasts to plasma.

Also lots of people have junk HDTV's like no name refurbished junk made by Viore or proscan,
A samsung HDTV that's recent will always beat those.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
No tvs contrast is up to what they advertise. True contrasts are usually done with a the Ansi contrast ratio which uses both white and black sections on a screen to get a proper ratio, not full on dynamic mode with the backlight maxed and then turning the set off to get a "dynamic" contrast which is improbable in real world applications.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts