Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So is this the new TV technology to have?

Seems the old RPTV may be on it's last legs and would hate to buy into aging technology.

I was under the impression that the actual images came from a packed matrix of LED's, but now they talk about using LED's as the backlight for essentially LCD display technology.

Where does this technology sit regarding it's Plasma and LCD neighbors in regards to use in Brightly lit rooms and obtaining near blacks, the 2 that really differentiated the other technologoes.

Of course ones expects the price of the latest and greatest to reduce over time.

What other emerging technologies are around the corner?

I thought I saw some OLED on flexible screens a while ago, but they seemed limited in size.

Or is Plasma still king in the mid 50" sizes and will be for some time to come?
(Given the need for true blacks and the availability of a light controlled room)
We don't want to start any tech wars just yet.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I do know that all LED backlit TV's aren't created equal... There are standard TV's that just use LED's in place of florescent tubes, (giving marginal improvement to picture if at all). The better ones use varying numbers of clusters of LED's to light only certain areas of the screen, giving improved contrast though still not plasma level. Even these vary in the number of clusters and implementation of the feature.

So just finding a TV that says LED doesn't guarantee the best quality... as always research is key.

As for RPTV I still like them, especially the new laser ones, (a tech that could never be in a flat panel). If space isn't an issue they are still a great option for large screen size.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Trichromatic gimmick

I was under the impression that the actual images came from a packed matrix of LED's, but now they talk about using LED's as the backlight for essentially LCD display technology.
The front of the TV probably the exact same LCD that's used in the traditional fluorescent backlit versions.

The OLED tv that Sony came up with a while ago uses LEDs as the actual light source with no backlight. I haven't heard much about it lately, other than the 13" tv they were selling for something like $2,500. Not sure if they have any bigger models available yet.

The sales gimmick I have seen lately is the "Trichromatic" LED TVs. From what it looks like, some use a bunch of white LEDs for the backlight, but others the "Trichromatic" versions use clusters of red, green and blue LEDs to create the white light. Supposedly they get a more balanced white light for better colour representation. As with anything relating to TV's you can't believe the marketing, you have to compare them side-by-side to see if it actually looks different.

·
Registered
340 Posts
the 3 color led [red/green/blue] in the long run will be better than a white led backlight. there are no true white led's. they are either UV or blue with a phosphor coating on them. just like a florescent tube. the phosphor glows white when excited. the phosphor has a limited life. just like an led flashlight. it starts off white but later on in its life it starts to become more blue in color.

·
Registered
1 Posts
LED TV is a term used by Samsung to describe its line of LCD (liquid crystal display) TVsthat use LED backlighting.
LED-backlit LCD TVs do differ from conventional LCD TVs in some important areas:
1- They can produce a very bright image and deep blacks (doesn't work for Edge-LED
2- With Edge-LED lighting they can be extremely slim.
3- They can offer lower power consumption.
4- They can offer a wider colour gamut, especially when RGB-LED backlighting is used.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts