Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

2621 - 2633 of 2633 Posts

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Just cancelled myself and ordered ShawTV.

The reason is that their hardware fundamentally hasn't improved since the introduction of the 9200 in July 2005. Spare me the comments on the minor tweaks and model changes: they've all been minor evolutions, nothing significant.

The fact is that there's no whole home PVR, no longer any multi-TV PVR (since discontinuing the 9242), and no good on-demand. Heck they still aren't even showing channel logos in the EPG.

It's too bad as I was one of the early adopters of the 5100 - drove all around the city trying to get one when they were first released. Similarly enjoyed the huge jump from the 6000 to the 6100 and to what I considered a rolls-royce at the time: the 9200 (was on the waiting list when it was released). But that's where I feel the excitement and innovation ended. Pretty sad: they were the industry leaders when the 5100 was released - the first PVR in Canada. Now they trail almost all the competition and are pretty much one of the only majors without a whole home PVR.

And I've waited and waited for the mysterious new devices that have supposedly been coming. Like the Hopper or Joey or whatever else. But there's been years or rumours and speculation and nothing else. Eventually had to throw in the towel -> woke up this morning and decided today was the day.

I guess my receivers and spare dishes will be hitting kijiji (including my 9242). But I think I'll hang on to my 5100 (not that it would be worth anything) for my own personal technology museum.

·
Registered
55 Posts
So I called Bell and spoke to "Ryan" on 4/25 to cancel my service at the end of the current billing period, for no particular reason other than I can't afford it. I kept notes on the call. During that call I requested an email confirmation of our transaction, which I didn't get. I also never received a return shipping label for their PVR.

I thought my end-of-month was 4/26, the date my e-bills arrive. When my service didn't stop on 4/26 I looked into it further and discovered my EOM was on the 24th, effectively making my new cancel date 5/24. My mistake - no problem.

Come 5/25, my boxes are still working! I call and happen to talk to "Ryan" again. I recognized the voice but he denied being the "Ryan" of 4/25 - "it's a pretty common name". Sure, OK.

There was absolutely NO record of our interaction on 4/25, as if it had never happened! :surprise

So I cancelled AGAIN, as of 5/30. This time I got the confirmation email. I also have "Ryan's" employee ID. We will see what happens on Monday.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
After 15 years, I have finally cut my BTV this morning.

I slowly have been migrating to OTA and Web based services, to the point where the only thing I was watching was CHCH news on the satellite. With CHCH getting really bad after the bankruptcy, and my receiver starting to act up every few minutes, it was time to go.

I was down to the Starter package when I cancelled. The cancellation took about 10 minutes while on hold, and another 5 minutes for them to attempt to find a way to keep me - since I was on Starter, they had no package deals. Since I owned my equipment, they had no deals on that end either, so it was a quick goodbye.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback and assistance in the Bell forums over the years - hopefully I will see some of you in the OTA forums...

·
Premium Member
4,094 Posts
Though people would like it. Oh well guess not. For what ever reason the forum owners won't let you delete a post after a certain time? As to why I don't know so I guess the Admins/Mods will need to delete the post?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've made a load of complaints to Bell about my Satellite TV subscription over the past 6 weeks. First I complained about the lack of pre-assembled small packages to subscribers on the Good-Better-Best platform who don't want to subscribe to all the channels in Better and Best and who want to subscribe to more than 10 pick-n-pay channels at an affordable price. Luckily this complaint was transferred to the Executive Office where I was offered 25% off on the Better package for 24 months. I made a subsequent complaint on the lack of inclusion of the newly rebranded Cooking Channel in the now grandfathered $10 Movies and More theme pack which previously included Cooking Channel's predecessor, W Movies, but got nowhere. Then today I received a response from Bell about my most recent complaint about their failure to participate in the free preview of Discovery Velocity. They eventually turned on the free preview three days late hopefully as a result of customer complaints. Finally for this complaint I received a $10 satisfaction credit. Why is it that Bell can't do anything right the first time?

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
@cslusarc3 : With all these complaints I'm surprised that you stick with Bell. At least you do get some nice discounts when you do. A lot of other companies wouldn't give you a penny off.

God! Why would anyone want the junk on Discovery Velocity? I took it out my IPG Listings a long time ago.

2621 - 2633 of 2633 Posts