Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

2601 - 2620 of 2633 Posts

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
I see that The Source says "Product Not Available" for the Bell receivers, so I guess Bell have found another way to sell them, though what it is, I don't know.....

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
You've already been told. Direct order over the net/phone including an installation charge.

Down here in the Maritimes few stores for the Telcos sell much of anything. You can order but there's no product in the stores and as I was told by a local rep., they really don't want the stores to be the source for any real hardware. It's easier when all sales come from a central source. We can expect most bricks and mortar stores for Rogers, Telus, etc. to be gone in the near future.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Well it is a boon for me, as I have been listing mine on Flea Bay. I pick them up with dead Drives, pop in new ones, run them for a week or two, then sell them as used. Not had a return in over 30 sales.

Just listed a pair of brand new 9241's, and expect a good price for them. These came from a Retailer who stopped dealing with Bell due to to much interference and the politics involved.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Its simple really...they are trying to squeeze as much money out of people as possible..
yes i buy that ... but what i dont buy is the insistence on the install policy to the point where the customer is fuming mad and has to be transferred to a "loyalty dept" ... not to mention their strategy of severely limiting a customers options to make a purchase

it left me wondering what kinda outfit are they running (i sound like my grampa). Especially when the audio you hear on hold is plugging the "hot PPV event UFC 164"

/which was in August 2013 *facepalm*

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
To me it appears they are trying to push Rentals and ORS (Out Right Sales) are just too much trouble.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Rentals on a plan mean a steady income stream for the busness. Outright sales are one time affairs. People who rent are more likely to upgrade whenever something new comes along. People who buy want to get full value from their purchase before investing again. Once upon a time there was a company here in Canada called Granada, a subsidiary of the famous UK rental and media concern. They rented TVs and a few other electronics. They did not encourage rent to own plans although they did offer them. The beauty was you could change your TV model whenever you pleased and all service was included in the monthly rental price. I went them for about ten years from 1974 to 1984. I probably got a new and better TV every year and a half including my first two Sony Trinitrons. If a new feature such as solid state tuning or SAP came along I just changed sets. They didn't care as it was just a nice revenue stream for them. All the old sets I turned in by the way were quickly rented out again. Bell isn't in the sales business. Their main business is based on monthly charges of one kind or another. The more they have you the customer on the hook for monthly payments the better their "income" will be.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
That's strange. I know of at least 5 local dealers here that have Bell receivers stocked floor to ceiling. I wonder why their doing that out east?

·
Registered
5 Posts
sweet baby jesus what is going on with Bell???

an update to my situation

i was told a new hd receiver would be shipped to us Dec 1 2014

it never came

the Jan 5 2015 invoice I just received has the $199 charge for the purchase of the hd receiver

i phone and tell them to get rid of this charge

THEY tell me there is no record of an hd receiver being shipped to me

but THEY see there is a $199 charge on my invoice

they ask me what model of hd receiver i purchased

their own online site doesnt even list the model numbers of the 2 hd receivers they have available for purchase

they cant even tell me what hd model # I was charged for and the invoice line item just says "HD receiver $199"

I say at this point I dont even want a receiver anymore ... just delete the $199 purchase charge

they put me on hold to waive the charges

Im on hold for about 25 minutes ... every 5 or so minutes the rep comes back and asks me to continue holding because the process "takes a while and their is alot of paperwork involved to get the charge waived"

rep comes back off hold and asks me if i want a receiver shipped to me

wtf??????

complete joke

·
Registered
819 Posts
As I posted in another thread, there is no RMA process for defective receivers anymore, so replacing one will cost you the full purchase price. In your case $199 is correct for a 6400.

·
Registered
175 Posts
sweet baby jesus what is going on with Bell???
an update to my situation
i was told a new hd receiver would be shipped to us Dec 1 2014
it never came
the Jan 5 2015 invoice I just received has the $199 charge for the purchase of the hd receiver
i phone and tell them to get rid of this charge
THEY tell me there is no record of an hd receiver being shipped to me
but THEY see there is a $199 charge on my invoice
they ask me what model of hd receiver i purchased
their own online site doesnt even list the model numbers of the 2 hd receivers they have available for purchase
they cant even tell me what hd model # I was charged for and the invoice line item just says "HD receiver $199"
I say at this point I dont even want a receiver anymore ... just delete the $199 purchase charge
they put me on hold to waive the charges
Im on hold for about 25 minutes ... every 5 or so minutes the rep comes back and asks me to continue holding because the process "takes a while and their is alot of paperwork involved to get the charge waived"
rep comes back off hold and asks me if i want a receiver shipped to me
wtf??????
complete joke
@Robbiebalabanov
Normal for Bell :(
- Took us almost 2 full years to get 2 PVRs credited back under Dish Care (from March 2011 to Jan 2014)

-Marketplace stated Bell again won the WORST CONSTOMER SERVICE AWARD for 2014

@Allan B
We just did an RMA in December
Same RMA procedure as before - no cost & shipping free both ways

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm done

After being with Bell for about 20 years and currently owning 3 9242's and having owned who knows how many other receivers before these I've given up on their equipment. I've had to replace 3 9242's. 2 of them cost me $150 each and then I thought I'd get smart and get dish care for $6 a month. When the last when went I was told that a tech would have to come out and check the setup at a cost of $75. I told them there was no way I was going to pay that. I have installed systems for 20 years and know when a system is fried and usually I've forgotten more about satellite tech than most of the young fellas that show up at the door, no offense to them. They led me to believe that there would be no charge as I had dish care so I said ok, had a pleasant chat with the tech and he called in the replacement. When my bill arrived low and behold there was a charge of $75 for a first hour service call. I called Bell and they quickly said they would reverse the charge (good for them) but I am so over their way of doing business. This sending out a tech before they will replace a faulty receiver is just another way to squeeze more money out of a customer and I've had enough. Checked out Telus Optik and I can get a wireless system, same programing and save about $40 a month. So long Bell it's been for the most part a slice. Also thanks to everyone on this forum for all the helpful advice over the years, it's been insightful and pleasant.

Bbum

·
Registered
819 Posts
Sending out a Tech when you have Dish Care is a new one on me. You normally just go through the usual, check switch etc, then get put to the Dish Care rep.

Very odd. Wonder if this was implemented at the same time as the new RMA process, although nothing on that document says so.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Had bell, was very disappointed with the channel lineup and price compared to shaw, and on top of that, they charged $150 milage for installing as if they had to come from Halifax or something to install, which was a complete lie since the installer who called ahead had a Clare telephone number.

As you can all probably infer, I didn't stay with Bell too long.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Closing down their satellites may be Bell's long term goal but at this point I think you would still get good value from any sat. receiver upgrades. Fibe isn't even available everywhere and until it is satellite may be the only viable option especially away from the wired big cities. Ten years from now it might be a different story but that's too far in the future to even worry about. If you like satellite, go ahead and upgrade.
Bell satellite isn't going anywhere. Bell doesn't own all the phone lines in the country to roll out Fibe, nor are they going to be putting up the capital to deploy VDSL in every rural area that has a 6KM long phone line with only 3 houses on the entire stretch.

If you see anything happen, you'll just see them combine Fibe TV and Satellite TV under one brand and then installers will just install whatever one works for you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
So my receiver decided to stop accessing my hard drive or external drive. I called in and the nice Tech ordered a replacement but noted my refurbished reciever was off warantee... no wait it expired at the end of this month, called today to get a shipping update and another department decided that my reciever was suddenly out of warantee and they won't be sending a replacement. Nice customer service bell! No notification or nothing but the supervisor offered to put me on a new rental option. Long story short I get to keep my defective receiver and get a free rental unit...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anybody but bell....Shaw,telus whatever(not bell)

I v been trying to get rid of bell t.v (cancel on December 28 2014). Now 2 month later they are still sending me invoices. i never sign no contract. they said they had a one month notice policy. Fine so be it. now there is a new 150$ deactivation fee. nobody ever told me about both.(deactivation fee and one month notice) If that is not called straight theft i don t know what is. Bell are the best thug i have ever seen. NEVER DO BUSINESS WITH BELL IN ANYWAY. the best advice:take it and run. Try it! Call Telus and say you don t like your invoices. They will directly bring it down(on the spot with a smile).
Bell should learn from them. I m taking the bell dish off my house and i m destroying it. They don't want it and my house is not an advertisement board. Trust me cancel all your bell stuff,then you will know the truth.

·
Registered
819 Posts
The only reason I would expect a 'deactivation' fee is if you are in a contract.

Bell might not be perfect but they are very rarely that unreasonable, it sounds like we are missing some details here.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
I agree with Allan B. There's got to be a contract. Bell TV isn't like a cell phone. You get a contract when the dish is installed. It is handed to you by the installer.

·
Registered
251 Posts
The only reason I would expect a 'deactivation' fee is if you are in a contract.

Bell might not be perfect but they are very rarely that unreasonable, it sounds like we are missing some details here.
Only thing I can think of is if a new customer brings their own equipment.....then there would be no contract..

2601 - 2620 of 2633 Posts