Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

2561 - 2580 of 2633 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Knowing the cause of a problem ......

Great feed back Guys!
I'm with F6FD04 on this one. As a retired Aeronautical Engineer (Reliability and Maintainability for some of those years) I would suggest knowing the cause of a problem and finding an appropriate solution therein, benefits the most people; the company, the customer support staff, the technical support team, the marketing dept, the off warranty private support groups and the customer.
Bell's "stick on another dish" fix, only benefits the customer. In the long term, it can't be cost effective and will come back to haunt them, and we all will be stuck with Shaw or cable or maybe the internet once fiber is readily available. Come to think of it, maybe that's what Bell want's. Then they can handle all their problems via their "oh by golly, I am be thinking a serious problem is having you" Mumbai Support Centre.:D
Cheers, Dave

·
Registered
160 Posts
nfl-hd

There are 2 weeks left in the NFL regular season and still no games yet on 1499 where it says selected games will be shown, Is just a phantom channel put on because of legislation or just a joke? Cannot yet figure out why it is taken a spot on the HD guide..I am sure The Big Ten Network would fit into this slot perfectly!! :confused:

·
Banned
63 Posts
NFL HD showed select preseason games when they aired on the NFL Network. As for regular season, it was never going to show any games as the NFL Network rights are held by Sportsnet and shown there. With the "channel" not on the air, it is using no bandwith to be in the guide, unlike putting Big Ten Network there which would use bandwith on the satellite.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I for one knew they would not show any regular season games on the NFL Network.I was hoping they would show the other NFL Network programming in HD. But they didn't!! :mad:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Bell pushing fibe

I have been getting calls lately from Bell.My wife usually tells them to call back later when I am home.When speaking with them they say they are calling to apologize for the service interuptions that has plagued the satellite service over the winter.I answer that we have had no problems and are satisifed with satellite.They then say to make it up to us we can change to FIBE which will be free installation and therefore not have to deal with these so called service interuptions.They then have the nerve to say that there are not trying to solicite us to change to FIBE.My question now is - are they trying to get ALL satellite to change to FIBE to cancel their satellite service???If this is the case then it would be good to know now before I upgrade more of my receivers.I love satellite and realyy do not care for cable of FIBE.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
I have had bell satellite for over 15 years and very few interruptions , only during heavy rain. I have switched to bell fibe tv 2 months ago and have to reset modem weekly which also affects my recordings.
I am really sorry that I sold my 9242 receiver as I may want to go back to bell satellite to avoid service interruptions and bundling that bell forces customers to have , after my contract is over .
Some people do not realize that having bell fibe tv and other bell services in a bundle they may end up with triple price increase twice a year.

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
Closing down their satellites may be Bell's long term goal but at this point I think you would still get good value from any sat. receiver upgrades. Fibe isn't even available everywhere and until it is satellite may be the only viable option especially away from the wired big cities. Ten years from now it might be a different story but that's too far in the future to even worry about. If you like satellite, go ahead and upgrade.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Sounds to me like someone has got hold of a Bell TV Customer phone list and is trying to make come commission by selling Fibe TV.

I could be wrong but I would be verifying the number that is calling and getting an Employee Number from them. If they really are from Bell, they are obliged to give you that information.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I still have the number in my caller ID so i just might call them back.I have invested enough into my receivers as I like to own instead of leasing so it is good to know that I should still have some good years left until they pull the plug on satellite.Call me old school but I rather satellite over cable anyday - even if you call if FIBE.Thanks bev fan,Pinza and reidw.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Perhaps when most Bell express vue T.V is rural they will sell it to someone else.They have aggressive promotions to FIBE in Cities were Fibe is installed.I know of many that have changed to Fibe and now regret it.I do believe that they have something in mind with the remaining BEV customers in a few years time.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
bevfan
I have had bell satellite for over 15 years and very few interruptions , only during heavy rain. I have switched to bell fibe tv 2 months ago and have to reset modem weekly which also affects my recordings.
Some people do not realize that having bell fibe tv and other bell services in a bundle they may end up with triple price increase twice a year.
IMO,in some cases, it is not good to bundle 3 services whether it be with Satellite,Cable or FIBE. Because then you get 3 increases a year if not more.

1)I have just Bell Sat. Yes there is the rain and snow but Satellite gives me lots of CTV stations which is great for NFL. But that might change with the 3 extra TSN stations.Still on the odd occasion I watch news from other cities.

Bell TV on it's own costs $8 more.

2)But for Internet I went with a TPIA which costs me $12 less.

3)I have no residential phone and have a cell.

Only Bell TV increases rates once sometimes twice a year.

Internet is rare they increase and cell is always same amount. So I limit my rate increases and I am saving on the bundle price.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Would you happen to know what that distance actually is? Just Curious.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I got a letter from Bell about the "great news" that Fibe will be in my area within 3 months. Although the price for the service would be the same as what I pay now for satellite, I would have to buy a new receiver, whereas my current receiver came free in a promotion, so I don't think I'll be switching any time soon.

·
Super Moderator
16,694 Posts
They will never be able to convert everyone over to Fbe. Rural customers are too far away from the CO to be able to get Fibe.
Would you happen to know what that distance actually is? Just Curious.
I believe the maximum distance is about 900 meters from the customer residence to the fiber-optic node for Fibe TV (depending on the quality of the copper wire). There is no real limit on the distance from the node to the Central Office since they are connected by fiber-optic cables.

FTTN isn't very practical for low-density areas like farmland because of the large distances between properties, however it can work where there are reasonably-sized clusters of houses in rural areas. FTTN is more expensive to deploy in semi-rural areas than in cities and suburbs, because you have to install more nodes to service the same number of houses.

Also keep in mind that Bell Fibe is only available in Ontario and Quebec.

·
Super Moderator
16,694 Posts
There are various IPTV providers across Canada. Aliant is a separate company that mainly offers a Fibre to the Home TV service called FibreOP. Bell only owns 44% of Aliant, so it still loses if a customer switches from satellite.

·
Premium Member
4,094 Posts
What is this Fiber-optic node?

I have Fibe and on the telephone pole where the phone is connected there is this small little grey box(installed by Bell when they where upgrading for Fibe TV).

Is that the"node thing"? If so I would say its about 60 feet from the house?

or

Is it the main Green/Brown" Box that's up the street from me?

·
Super Moderator
16,694 Posts
It's probably the main box up the street. A fiber node usually serves a hundred or more houses.

House ---copper------|
House ---copper------|-------------|
House ---copper------|Fiber Node |----Fiber optic cable--------Central Office
House ---copper------|-------------|
House ---copper------|
House ---copper------|

·
Registered
611 Posts
Arggghhh!!

Metres and fibre, not "meters" and "fiber" (sic)

Unless, of course, Bell Fibe is now operating south o' the border... ;)

Otherwise, actual Canadian spellings please! :D

2561 - 2580 of 2633 Posts