Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

2541 - 2560 of 2633 Posts

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I recall someone saying here that they got a hefty 12 month credit... so now Bell has to get the money elsewhere. Plus they just bought Astral.

mrvanwinkles you are right on the money. That is why I don't bundle all my services with one company.

I have Bell TV and their mobile service. The rates never go up on the celll side, just for Satellite TV. This way I save on the bundle price for TV service and only get yearly increases on just one service.

For internet I was with Videotron until they not inncreased my rate but started to send my bill ealier and earlier wiith each passing month. So I did the switcher oooo. Changed to a third party provider whith higher bandwidth and cheaper price. From what I have seen in the last few years is that the smaller companies don't raise their monthly rates by $1-3 a month. They also have residential phone service too.

So basically just my Bell TV goes up.

IMHO, people who bundle become complacent. They are not willing to search and pay the upfront costs for let's say a modem for a smaller company, they don't want to trouble themselves with anything. They want everything easy.Free install.Free modem rental, the newest shiny phone free on a 3 year contract but with a monthly rate of $70-$80

And that is how companies like Bell get them.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Increasing the bill / reducing bundle credits for the 2nd time this year, 4th time in 2 years on Bell TV, only means more heated discussions with retentions when the current offers are up.

What's the point in increasing the bill every 6 months, if you are just going to turn around and offer $15-$20 off per month for 12 months and offer free receiver rentals? Just creates more upset customers calling retentions, not to mention how much staff Bell has to pay to employ all these retention agents...

If that's the game they want to play, then I will play it. Don't blame the people taking advantage of the retention offers, blame the companies raising rates every 6 months while putting the retention offers out there at the same time.

If Bell would not make a retention offer every year to offset the crazy increases, I would have been gone a long time ago. So would a lot of other customers.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Rogue 17 , people like me we do not bundle service because we are complacent or because we are lazy. I bundle service first to save money second to get premium service . In the last couple of years I tried third party services and was very disappointed , now I bundle my services with Bell and it cost me a little extra but at least I get what I am paying for. What is the point saving $10 a month on Internet service and have very slow Internet in the evening or saving another $10 on the phone but not able to understand person on the phone because sound is breaking up. Believe me I hate Bell's treatment of their customers as much as the next guy but I have not been able to find third party that would provide their services to my satisfaction.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
You make a very good point for sticking with Bell, even though they might not be perfect.

I stay with Bell TV, because I have no LOS to the other Sat Provider and no access to Cable.

I stay with Bell for Land Line Phone because the Cell service where I live sucks.

I stay with Rogers for Wireless Internet because there is no signal for Bell Wireless Internet and no options for DSL.

I would love some of the options people on here talk about. I would love fast Internet at a reasonable price too but I love where I live more that getting fast Internet and Cable Services.

It is my choice but I still bitch about Bell Services...... I seriously think they could be better...

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
My mom had Bell internet, satellite and home phone.
At first it was reasonable. About $23 for POTs phone, $34 for 5 meg DSL and $68 for satellite.

Bell raised her POTS phone line to about $40 a month. I cancelled it.
They raised her internet to $49.95 a month. I cancelled it.
They raised her satellite too, don't remember the amount. I cancelled it.

She now has Fongo for phone at $4.99 per month, all features and long distance included. Quality is excellent.

She now has Start cable internet at $29.95 per month. Quality, service and speed is far superior to Bell.

Her TV is OTA with US satellite. Still less then $50.

Total cost for all three with Bell after the increases: about $165
Total cost now for better features and service: $85

Bell customers, whether they bundle or not, are getting shafted. Big time.
They may not be complacent, and in Pinza's case, he doesn't have much choice, but most of their customers like bevfan are being gouged big time.

They are not aware of viable options that are clearly better because they don't do the research or try all the alternatives.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
I have had fongo it is crap , it costs $4.99 well it is worth $4.99.OTA once my interest is watching talk shows all day long maybe then I will go OTA but I am not that old yet. American satellite I do not really give a .... I live in Canada and I want canadian service.
Internet service well try streaming HD content in the evening and then tell me it is superior to Bell Internet.Last week we had heavy storm and power outage in mississauga for about 6 hours , we had no Internet (no fongo) no cell phone would work either but bell phone was still,working so by getting Internet phone like fongo you are not really saving all that money because you are not getting same service , you are just getting lesser service for less money.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Bevfan,

I was not saying ALL people get complacent. Just saying that there are ways to save and bundling is not the best way IMHO. I switched to Electronic Box and the speed is identical to the big provider. Service is pretty good at time of activation.Have never had an issue so far so don't know how the service will be. The thing about bundling is that Bell will increase all their services by $2-$3 so you can have an increase of anywhere from $6-$9 a year if not more because Bell increases rates sometimes twice a year.

The one service that I will stick with is Bell Sat. Only provider that gives me CTV from Halifax to BC therefore allowing me to watch many NFL games. :)

The only service they don't increase yearly is Cell phone. So I combine that with Satellite.Therefore I get their bundle price.

Electronic Box has good prices and offer happy hour from 2AM to 2PM. Their prices don't increase by $2 every year.

Residential line I don't need.

With satellite I pick my 15 channels and TMN. Of course there are channels that I leave out because they are not worth having just for one show. So I get that from the web.

But I would not be able to cut off Sat and go with OTA. I rather save elsewhere and keep satellite.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
I have had fongo it is crap.
Of course its crap with Bell internet. Bell sabotages the Fongo IP adresses. I know because I switched her to Fongo before changing ISPs. With Start it is crystal clear. And try a UPS to keep your IP phoneline going in a power failure. You need to learn how to implement new technology.

American satellite I do not really give a .... I live in Canada and I want canadian service.
US satellite is FAR superior to Canadian DBS as anyone here who has it will verify and she uses OTA for CBC, CTV, Global and CHCH for your beloved Canadian content.

Internet service well try streaming HD content in the evening and then tell me it is superior to Bell Internet.
You have not tried Start internet so you cannot comment on that intelligently.

You are happy paying Bell far more than what competitors charge. That is your choice. And you are the majority. That is why Bell keeps raising prices.

My point is you can get far better service for less money in most cases.

·
Registered
160 Posts
new guide

totally pis'd off with new guide .....since it came on I have had to reboot every night since everything freezes up and of course she started telling me to do what I have done every night since...reboot.....and these guys who give the excuse's or screw things up are hidden upstairs in the penthouse at Bell....unacceptable but they can do it right....cannot use the terms that describe on this board....oh yeah do not forget to reboot...I was told that back in the 90's when I had similar problems with the receiver....:mad:

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
Bell is using us all as Beta testers. They have known from day 1 that the new guide was not finalised. Now the CSRs are assuring us that an update/fix is coming in the next month or so. Even if it does correct the issues that many have, it is going to do nothing to improve subscriber feelings towards Ma Bell at least based on what I've been reading in this forum. Bell gets a big fail from a public relations standpoint again!

FTR: I'm OK with the new guide. Some things I like. Others meh. However I can live with it. I can still do what I want to do and that's all that matters to me.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Off Topic:
Please help. I wanted to post a comment about Bell's Tech Reps, but couldn't determine the appropriate forum here (when I went to HOME there were hundreds of sections/forums, and there was no way I could determine whereto post, well I guess I could have, but being 70 years old I felt I could pass away while searching :)).
Bell have sent 4 Tech Reps out to my place in the last year, and I was wondering if it was possible that all four had inadvertently missed Bell's Social Skills Training Course (they have one ...right?); or does Bell just open the door of the cave and let these guys roam freely? :)
Moderator: Please feel free to move this post to the appropriate forum (and please post a link so I can track it down, in order for me to expand my comments, and believe me, if I am allowed,they will be expanded!)
Thanks Dave

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Tell us what you want to say, as it is related to your 6131, I am sure it will be fine but if not it will be moved to a more appropriate thread.

I am curious what you mean by;

I was wondering if it was possible that all four had inadvertently missed Bell's Social Skills Course; or does Bell just open the door of the cave and let these guys roam freely?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I was appalled by the lack of social skills displayed by the Bell Techs I encountered recently, there attitude was similar to Bell the Sewer Rats and Pole Men I played hockey with in the 70's (my wife worked for Bell for 40 years), but those guys are excused because they didn't have to deal with the public. Still, I would never have thought (even hammered out of my mind) that it was ever appropriate to introduce any of those clowns to my mother.:)
So I guess we just need to move my last 2 posts to the "Why are Bell Techs so Rude and Gruff Forum", which I was previously unable to find ...... O.K.?
Cheers Dave

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Well I sadly know what you mean.

I speak with an to, hundreds of Bell "approved" Technicians every month and trust me a large percentage I would not employ myself, it it was my choice.

90% of the guys that come to your house are Sub Contractors and have no interest in what they do, it is just a job and a pay check at the end of the week. Now, not all Subs are like this, some are very technically minded and actually enjoy the work they do, sadly they are in the minority.

I think the "Piece Work" way that Bell pay the Companies has to take some of the blame for this attitude. They get the same pay on a Service Call, if they are there 2 minutes or 45. So it they can run a Check Switch and run away, some will do this, very common in apartment buildings.

I hear horror stories every week about Techs leaving 3 or 4 receivers with a customer with no programming on them, telling the Customer that "They will start to work in about 2 hours", then leave. Last one of those I attended, to calm the Customer down, would never have worked as 2 or the 3 receivers were connected to lines attached to a splitter and had no even transponders (Software is on an even transponder on 91).

If you have an issue with a Tech, report him/her. The Work Order will have a Technicians PEIN# and should have the Company name that he works for.

On the other hand, if the Tech does a good job, is very polite and professional, call Bell, let them know, there is a PEIN# on the Work Order.

Bell "approved" Technicians are becoming scarce, I do not think Bell have done any formal training for quite a few years.

There is no "social skills" training required, as I think way too many would fail......

·
Registered
25 Posts
Pinza;
Thanks for your prompt reply. I just want to expand on this issue (maybe even beat it to death ...... well yes, definitely beat it to death :))
The last Bell Tech, sent out to resolve this issue, (this a.m.) was more than competent technically ( in my opinion as a retired troubleshooting Engineer for the FAA - aircraft crash, people die, relatives sue :D ); so a wonky dish on my roof is like a kids birthday joke to me...... Ha! Ha! Ha! :)
Still Bell , after 14 months have not been able to resolve my problem. However, despite the relative simplicity of the problem, I, as a sort of clued in Engineer (if you don't pat your self on the back ... who will?), would like to try to communicate effectively with the person representing Bell, Unfortunately, today, I had to assume, with this particular Bell Tech , that 1 grunt meant yes and 2 grunts was no. Surely, when troubleshooting a problem the Tech should be more communicative than this?
Dave

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Dave, if you got a grunting Tech, that is/was good, he is just one step from being a Supervisor.....lol

I am old school, which means Customer Service, unfortunately now it seams that Customer Diservice is much more common. The Fix it and run scenario's I call them. If they can get away with zero interaction with the Customer that is fine. Why?, well that is easy, they do not know why things fail or in most cases hot to fix things, all they do is swap out components and run.

I get involved in lots of the "Final straw" moments from Customers and Hotels etc, where there have been so many Techs out to fix the issue, nothing works, for long.

2 weeks ago, I was asked to investigate an apartment building that had issues with the Lobby Camera. I arrived with MY testing gear and proceeded to start from the source of the Lobby Camera Signals. All was good until the RG6 disappeared into a 8" x 12" piece of Moulding at the rear of the building. This moulding ran from the ground floor to the roof. It took me about 5 seconds to realize there had been a fire in this moulding, due to molten plastic and damaged cables lying around the base.

I was with the "Senior Tech" who had attended this call numerous times, he said he had no knowledge of a fire. I went back inside, spoke with building management who told me that yes there had been a fire and that the Cable Company responded the day after and replaced ALL their cables. Bell never responded as no Bell Customer had lost service.

On the roof, I tested the line from the camera for RF, there was none. I followed the cable only to find it went into the Molding. I dropped down a length of RG6, connected it temporarily at the bottom and top and called the customer who had complained about lack of Lobby Camera. It was back.

I asked how he had tested the line and he said he had not 'really' tested it as he had no RF meter and had no idea what it even was. 7 years he has been a supervisor, this is basic stuff.

The moral is, the Techs get paid for a "NO Fault Found", the Supervisor has less brain cells than a 7/16" wrench, so if you got a grunter, you were lucky........lol

·
Registered
983 Posts
Dave (stillgolfing),

Thank you for the compliments.

Unfortunately, the cause of your issue was never resolved.

For safety reasons, the Bell Tech chose to install a new dish on the garage roof, so now, unfortunately, you have two dishes on your home.

I do this install business on the side, as a hobby more than anything. I find it very challenging to try and find the cause of a problem and fix it, rather than throw new parts at the situation.

As my Kijiji ad states, "Troubleshooting is my specialty!", and it really is.

So, instead of emailing you, I will ask you publically here on this Forum.

When the weather warms up and the snow melts from your roof, may I drop by your house, and hookup your old dish to my testing equipment?

My In-Law's live close to you and, with your permission, I will drop by and check it out the next time I'm in Town.

I would like to find what the cause of this problem was and report it here on this Forum.

I believe it is one of three things; faulty LNB, faulty SW21 switch, or a bad cable/connector on the short piece of RG6 that connects the 82 LNB to the SW21.

When I'm done, I'll take your old dish down and seal up the holes, at no cost to you.

Merry Christmas.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
I never read that the issue was unresloved. If it is, then CALL BELL. Venting here is fine but unless people tell Bell that the Tech did not fix the problem, he will get paid and Bell will think all is good with the world.

46FD04, doing jobs for free is NOT the answer. Let the Tech who was PAID to do the job, fix it, or his Company, otherwise this crap just continues on and on. I know your situation, we have spoken personally but let me ask the question. Do you have WSIB coverage? If you do great, if not, an accident on a Customers premisses, while removing a Dish for example could be the end of your working career and the start of major problems for the home owner.

http://needwsibcoverage.ca/

And YES, Satellite Installation is under the scope of Construction.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Pinza,

I hear what you're saying.

I'm just trying to save Dave the risk of falling, he is much older than I am, and I'm much more agile for the job.

What I meant by his issue not being resolved was, the cause was never determined because the Tech installed a second dish on the guy's house.

It's great that Dave's watching Hockey Night In Canada in HD again, but he's still looking at TWO dishes on his house, one of which is now useless and should be brought down.

If Dave wants to give me something in appreciation, then it would no longer be "free" LOL.

Regarding WSIB, I'm currently working on that.

These new rules could put an end to the excellent work that many Private Installers do here in the G.T.A.

2541 - 2560 of 2633 Posts