Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Leafs TV HD ?

9K views 34 replies 19 participants last post by  atvnut 
#1 ·
Hello I am new to the forum and honestly just registered so I can ask you guys this question. The answers probably right under my nose.

Now that sportsnet 1 is in the spot of hdsports where do I go to see my leafs games shown on leafs tv in hd on Shaw Direct?

#5 ·
....hmmm

Despite as much as I hate to admit it, I'm thinking about maybe getting LeafsTV this year....

Has anyone researched it? Wondering how many games will only be on LeafsTV, vs the other channels (TSNs,Sportsnets, CBC)

I must be blind, but I looked on Shaw Direct's website, and couldn't even find the cost.... (I think it used to be $1.99/month)

*** Did some more digging - Leafs TV is $4.99/month..... I assume Leafs HD would just get the games broadcast in HD **** - not sure if it's worth $5/month for me.

Thanks,
Peter

#16 ·
So I sign up yesterday afternoon for Leafs TV so I can watch their run at getting a 5th straight win......

Watched the games against the isle's on 454 in HD. and they lost.

Interesting.... they did a TV time out, and never saw the commercial for that spot... just a shot of the players standing around, and a close up of some trainer.....

I'll probably keep the channel for at least 60 days and re-evaluate at Xmas.

P

#19 ·
I beleave leaf games on leafs tv hd are wide screan only not hd.
You are not correct in you're beliefs, the game was in HD last night on Leafs TV HD and with the new 630 receiver the picture was outstanding, it is pretty much as close you will get to an OTA picture. Also, just for your information all of the regular season games but one last year was in HD, and the one that was not was due to camera issues at a visiting arena. The preseason games last year were in SD, so maybe that is what you remember.

#23 ·
I have the NHL package plus I suscribe to NHL Net, the NHL package doesn't show any preseason games. I notice on the preseason schedule that NHL Net USA are showing the Leafs vs Senators game tonight. I'm wondering is the NHL Net USA different than here in Canada, or is the schedule the same? I do know they did show some rookie games but they were all USA teams but we were able to watch here in Canada. Checking the guide doesn't show the Leaf vs Senator game

I did call Shaw asked to get the Leaf Network for a month, but they said because of my postal code I was ineligible yet my neighbour across the road can get it with the same postal code with Bell. He did say he got Leaf network as part of Bell's NHL package, that I have a hard time believing but then again he doesn't get the NFL package.

Does anyone have any idea what to heck is going on.

#24 · (Edited)
As a former Bell Expressvu representative (at a 3rd party call centre), I can tell you the line separating Leafs territory from Senators territory as of when I was doing their support was on the western outskirts of Belleville. Your neighbour may be skirting around the rules by having a service address on file that is somewhere west of Wallbridge Loyalist Rd while maintaining his/her actual address as the billing address.

DISCLAIMER: Bell randomly will check receivers for what phone number they are connected to and take action if needs be. If the receiver is not connected to a phone line, Bell may call and ask you to do so temporarily for verification purposes.

#28 ·
The new boundaries go all the way to Kingston. A corridor from Peterborough to Kingston will allow you to see the Habs, Sens and Leafs as regional teams. The old boundary at Walbridge Loyalist Road, all the way to Pembroke expired at the start of last year.

And yes, the U.S. version of the NHL Network had the Leafs/Ottawa and Leafs/Flyers on, the last two nights. In glorious HD. How about HD for the Canadian Subscribers, Bell Globe Media? But what do you expect, when you can't even get Space in HD, here in Canada. Hell, we can't even get most of the over-the-air stations in Eastern Ontario, to convert to HD. Cheap, foot dragging, procrastinating Canadian broadcasters.

#29 ·
Good to hear the boundary changed. I always had a hard time justifying the old boundary. The rationale I always gave is that if OTA broadcasts from Toronto (including AM 640 which carries the Leafs on radio) can't be reasonably expected to come in there, then it's reasonable it should not be Leafs territory. Sometimes that would fly, but often I would have to defer to the NHL.

Realistically, I was giving a pretty lame rationale, but it's the only somewhat logical reason I could come up with. I don't like passing the buck if I don't have to.

BTW, StarChoice did want me on their support team, but I was in the process of moving and missed out on that opportunity.

#30 ·
So what do I do now? I called Shaw Direct several days ago, they said I was in the wrong area to get Leaf Network Channel, that it had nothing to do with them that it is controlled by the NHL. I did get the Winnipeg vs Columbus on TSN new channel though. I know Bell are getting the Leaf on Sportsnet Ontario as I have at least five friends who all live near me 18kms north of Kingston and are watching Leafs either on Leafs network or Sportsnet Ontario they can't believe that I haven't changed to Bell.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.