Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,417 Posts
If MLSE had sold to anyone else or the teachers pension plan kept the team, Leafs TV and Raptors NBA TV would dominate regional broadcast and they would have a YES or MSG network on their hands.
This is 100% the case for Leafs TV. Basically the 2013 season was the last season that Leafs TV had the rights to live broadcast regional games. TSN essentially got the rights to those games 2014 and onwards. This was likely done to appease the Bell Media wing of MLSE after Rogers took over exclusive national NHL rights. Raptors NBA TV was a bit different in its history in that I don't think they ever had live Raptors games but they did source live NBA games from NBA TV in the US and ESPN from the very beginning. They have always had abbreviated rebroadcasts of Raptors games. They abandoned the idea of a Raptors centric regional broadcast channel in 2010 when the channel rebranded as NBA TV Canada. This predated the Rogers/Bell purchase of MLSE which was 2012.

·
Registered
4,417 Posts
You are only partially right. SN and TSN share Leafs regional broadcasts however, TSN does get a slightly larger share than SN as SN does have the national rights.
Leafs TV never had 100% regional rights. They had 13 regular season games. I believe Sportsnet and TSN also had 13 games each up until the 2014 season. Prior to Rogers deal, it's possible Sportsnet may have had more than 13. Starting in the 2014 season, TSN went to 26 games, Sportsnet kept their 13 regional games and the remaining games were all nationally broadcast games. I believe in the case of Sportsnet, their regional package is "technically" higher than 13 but they have the option of making some of their regional broadcasts national which they have done since their exclusivity deal started.

Also, Raptors NBA TV did have live Raptors games in the early 2000's. Not a large number but they did have some.
You're correct, I do see that Raptors TV had coverage as late as 2008 but in that year it was only 2 live telecasts. I know in the early years of Leafs TV, they only had 5 games, they didn't get to 13 games until the mid-late 2000s. I don't recall Raptors TV ever having a significant amount of games (Probably less than 5 each season).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts