Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,638 Posts
I do not think I've ever watched Leafs Nation Network or Leafs TV before but I remember a relative of mine wanted to watch the Maple Leafs hockey games and he tried calling his TV Provider. The person he spoke to advised him to get Leafs TV. So he went a head and ordered it at the advise of the agent. He discovered that there were no live leaf's games on this channel and he was duped. He called back and unsubscribed and the next agent was very apologetic and instead gave him Sportsnet. It turns out some people on the phone are not familiar with Toronto Maple Leafs or Hockey because their call centre is in another country so they heard Leafs and thought it was the channel he wanted to watch not the live games, if you speak to an agent who actually lives in Toronto they would know that live Maple Leafs games are not on Leafs TV but on Sportsnet channel

·
Registered
334 Posts
Because the execs very mistakenly thought they were competent enough to create a Leafs version of the Yankees YES network and instead created a zombie station which is finally being killed off.
They would've if MLSE was never purchased by the Bell / Rogers consortium. The whole point of creating Leafs TV and Raptors NBA TV was essentially to freeze both of them out and control the regional (in the case of the Leafs) content and create their own YES. Bell and Rogers were scared they could actually do this as they were slowly migrating regional games away to their channels (at one point in the early / mid 2000's Leafs TV has 13 regular season games and all but one pre-season game) and with the regional rights coming up for negotiation soon Bell and Rogers bought MLSE together to ensure they would never lose the rights. Once this was done, they divided the rights amongst themselves eventually settling on Rogers gets hockey Bell gets everything else (Raptors, TFC and Argos) for sponsorship and TV / Radio rights get split down the middle.

If MLSE had sold to anyone else or the teachers pension plan kept the team, Leafs TV and Raptors NBA TV would dominate regional broadcast and they would have a YES or MSG network on their hands.

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
If MLSE had sold to anyone else or the teachers pension plan kept the team, Leafs TV and Raptors NBA TV would dominate regional broadcast and they would have a YES or MSG network on their hands.
This is 100% the case for Leafs TV. Basically the 2013 season was the last season that Leafs TV had the rights to live broadcast regional games. TSN essentially got the rights to those games 2014 and onwards. This was likely done to appease the Bell Media wing of MLSE after Rogers took over exclusive national NHL rights. Raptors NBA TV was a bit different in its history in that I don't think they ever had live Raptors games but they did source live NBA games from NBA TV in the US and ESPN from the very beginning. They have always had abbreviated rebroadcasts of Raptors games. They abandoned the idea of a Raptors centric regional broadcast channel in 2010 when the channel rebranded as NBA TV Canada. This predated the Rogers/Bell purchase of MLSE which was 2012.

·
Registered
334 Posts
This is 100% the case for Leafs TV. Basically the 2013 season was the last season that Leafs TV had the rights to live broadcast regional games. TSN essentially got the rights to those games 2014 and onwards. This was likely done to appease the Bell Media wing of MLSE after Rogers took over exclusive national NHL rights. Raptors NBA TV was a bit different in its history in that I don't think they ever had live Raptors games but they did source live NBA games from NBA TV in the US and ESPN from the very beginning. They have always had abbreviated rebroadcasts of Raptors games. They abandoned the idea of a Raptors centric regional broadcast channel in 2010 when the channel rebranded as NBA TV Canada. This predated the Rogers/Bell purchase of MLSE which was 2012.
You are only partially right. SN and TSN share Leafs regional broadcasts however, TSN does get a slightly larger share than SN as SN does have the national rights. I believe last season the breakdown was 26 games for TSN and like 20 for SN but I could be wrong with the exact breakdown I just know that TSN does get a larger percentage of regional broadcasts than SN to appease the Bell wing of MLSE but they do not have 100% of the regional broadcasts. Only difference is SN uses all the same graphics, music and broadcast package as a whole so other than the game not being available in the Leafs region, you wouldn't know if it's a local or national game.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Also, Raptors NBA TV did have live Raptors games in the early 2000's. Not a large number but they did have some.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts