Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This game is blacked out on Sportsnet, giving the message that it is not available in my area (Ottawa), which is fine, but when I go to Centre Ice, it says the game is available on 417. Neither HD nor SD channels are working and Shaw Support has an hour wait time. :mad:

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My internet is not fast enough to stream video. One reason I have Centre Ice. Still not working. Ridiculous.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Ottawa is part of the Montreal Canadiens region. TSN has exclusive English rights to the game in the Canadiens region. The TSN-Habs feed isn't available on Shaw Direct; therefore, the only way to watch the game on Shaw Direct in the Canadiens region is on RDS.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why isn't Ottawa part of the Ottawa Senators market? I don't subscribe to RDS and even if I did, making me watch this game in French is complete BS.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also, Islanders/Flyers is not working and Blackhawks/Predators is pixelated and audio cuts in and out.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Montreal and Ottawa share territory, all of eastern Ontario, Quebec and Atlantic Canada. It was part of the deal when the Senators started broadcasting regional games on Sportsnet since they were going into what had always been Montreal territory in Atlantic Canada and Quebec.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So it's Shaw's fault for not picking up the TSN-Habs feed. I thought since I ordered Centre Ice I would be done with missing games, but SD seems to have found a way to screw me and everyone else who wants to watch in english.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I meant it is SD's fault for not negotiating with TSN. I'm sure Bell wants to keep SD and others away so they can be the only ones with the feed. It's just ridiculous that you can pay so much for Centre Ice and not get what you want. Especially when you're like me and only watch the Leafs. 41 games on CBC/TSN and 1 game vs Ottawa on Sportsnet. I get Centre Ice to watch 40 Leaf games. Damn the NHL and these stupid broadcast regions.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I meant it is SD's fault for not negotiating with TSN.
This is the main reason for Shaw planning to launch Shaw Media Sports. They will sign 1 major sports contract in order to give Shaw Cable & Shaw Direct leveraging power against Bell's TSN ripoff of competitive distributors and Sportsnet's ripoff of Rogers competitors.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I can't figure it out either, I live just north of Kingston, I could not get the game either on Sportsnet Ontario or on the Center Ice Package. Yet again my neighbour who has Bell, has the same postal code watched it on Sportsnet Ontario, he does not have Center Ice. He also gets the Senator games as do I. There is something not working right whether it is SD or who, but SD is the one that has to look into the problem. If it isn't resolved by next year I will be switching to Bell for this reason only. I bought the Center Ice Package for this reason, still can't get the Canadiens home games whether on TSN or Sportsnet. I do get the games when CBC shows them on CBC Montreal figure that one out, they will probably put a stop to that now.

·
Read Only
629 Posts
This is the main reason for Shaw planning to launch Shaw Media Sports. They will sign 1 major sports contract in order to give Shaw Cable & Shaw Direct leveraging power against Bell's TSN ripoff of competitive distributors and Sportsnet's ripoff of Rogers competitors.
And then SD will ask the customers to pay more yet again. No thanks to new sport channels that carry the same amount of sports programming at higher and higher costs.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
I can't figure it out either, I live just north of Kingston, I could not get the game either on Sportsnet Ontario or on the Center Ice Package. Yet again my neighbour who has Bell, has the same postal code watched it on Sportsnet Ontario, he does not have Center Ice. He also gets the Senator games as do I.
That's odd because I thought Kingston was primary territory of the Leafs, and secondary for the Canadiens and Senators. That would mean that Toronto should override Montreal and you should be able to watch the game on Sportsnet Ontario.

I do get the games when CBC shows them on CBC Montreal figure that one out, they will probably put a stop to that now.
That won't stop. CBC has national rights, hence you can watch any of their games anywhere in the country. Regional restrictions happen to protect those rights.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I have NHL Centre Ice and this will definately be the last season that I do.....many many games are not broadcast...I know this because I've looked at the Dish Network guide from the U.S. online, and they always have all the games....more in HD as well.....and if you're not happy?...too bad...still have to pay the monthly fee til the end of the season...

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'd wager if you complained enough and threatened to disconect they'd at the very least try to offer you a discount. Of course it'll all depend on who you talk to.

·
Registered
132 Posts
That's odd because I thought Kingston was primary territory of the Leafs, and secondary for the Canadiens and Senators. That would mean that Toronto should override Montreal and you should be able to watch the game on Sportsnet Ontario.

That won't stop. CBC has national rights, hence you can watch any of their games anywhere in the country. Regional restrictions happen to protect those rights.
The Bell suscribers do get the games on Sportsnet Ontario but SD don't, Ive witnessed this all winter. I foolishly thought purchasing Center Ice package would solve the problem, but that didn't happen. As I said I do live in a village north of Kingston and my neighbour across the road gets all of the Leafs & Montreal games. I would be interested if I lived right in Kingston what would I get? How do they decide who to allow and who not to recieve these games, I had presumed postal code but when Bell shows them and SD doesn't, I'm not sure.

·
Registered
442 Posts
atvnut,

I'm sure the Leafs part has something to do with postal codes. For the Leafs games, you could try getting a post office box right in Kingston, and have your bills mailed there. Or have them mailed to your work. I'm sure there is a way you could massage your address to get into the Leafs region. Maybe you and your neighbor have different postal codes?

The bottom line is you won't be getting the English TSN-Habs games on Shaw Direct, ever. TSN is keeping these for Bell. So you can either watch the Habs games in French on RDS-HD, or switch to Bell. If seeing every Habs game in English is that important to you, you'll just have to switch to Bell, and reward their dirty tactics.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts