Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An historically large oversupply of LCD TV panels is causing television prices to fall right in time for the holiday shopping season.

By the end of this month, LCD TV prices will be about 5% lower than they were at the same time last year, according research firm DisplaySearch. But a tailspin will start in October: In the last three months of the year, the firm forecasts that prices will keep falling until they bottom out at 12% below 2009 levels.

and

The forecasted price plunge stems from an enormous surplus of LCD panels that has accumulated over the first nine months of the year. Shipments of the panels rose to 52 million in the second quarter, but only 38.7 million TVs were actually shipped to retailers, according to iSuppli.
So if you're in the market for an LCD, best to wait a month or two!

·
Registered
478 Posts
perfect timing, have just been planning on black friday trip down to Montana.

it's only a tank of fuel for me return, plus 39 bucks for a hotel? can't be beat!

not much to save 500 bucks. (or more)

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
I wouldn't call a 5% or even 12% reduction a plunge in prices. 25% maybe. Considering how much LCD panel prices have dropped in the past few years, it should be a good time to buy. I've already seen some good deals on LCD TVs and displays. I've got to wonder about the quality of some of the really cheap products tough.

·
Registered
229 Posts
We are looking for a 2nd tv for our family room and to be used with a PS3 and computer input. So we got rid of a couple of older tv's to help fund the new one. We'll probably hold off for now to see what kind of savings will be out there.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
It's probably cheaper to make a new TV than to support an old one. I figure that most electronics sells for at least 4 time what it costs to manufacture. (That's anecdotal based on some common price points for NA retail products vs identical or almost identical product prices direct from China.) At that ratio, an $800 TV costs $200 to make. Compare that to an average home service call at $200-$300. So, for example, Samsung starts sending out product upgrade discs. That costs maybe $10 per disc. Maybe 10% of those discs result in a non-working TV which must be fixed at $200 per service call. Add to that the engineering work to produce and test the disc, answer customer calls about obtaining and using the disc plus answer questions and fix problems after the fact. Compare that to Sony who saves money be making their products so they cannot be upgraded and then does not incur extra costs for the upgrade process. Which company really wins in the long run? (Provided they keep selling products.)

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
it's still LCD :( It can plunge by 50% it's still LCD TV.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Cool, I am looking to get an LED soon, hope they drop in price also, but if not i will purchase one of the top brands, Sony and LG......I currently have an overpriced Westinghouse TX 42F430 series 2008 model , worst TV ever...Does anyone know if LCDs are better made today than say 2008? My tv has a terrible time with stuck pixels...started out of the box with 3.....than it built up to 6.....currently i have 7 stuck pixels...and more anoying is now the screen has ghostly vertical lines forming on the screen. Any suggestions on a good brand? Take care.;)

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
it's still LCD :( It can plunge by 50% it's still LCD TV.
Not if you get an LED TV. It's incredible how just changing the backlight source can greatly improve the black levels without having to go plasma.

Chances are the LCD TVs with the fluroescent blacklighting systems will see the biggest rebates, followed by the plasma sets. I've already seen end-of-model 50" Samsung plasmas for sale for only $799 at FS, with many 40" fluorescent backlit LCD TVs hitting the $500 range right now!

I have no idea what will happen with the price of the LEDs and 3DTVs however. LED is very popular, so we might not see big price drops there. However, it wouldn't surprise me if the 3DTVs all disappear by the end of next year due to lack of interest. Turn off the 3DTV gimmick however, and these same sets can potentially become some of the best TVs out there.

It'll definitely be an interesting year.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
LED sets are where the biggest margins are so, longer term, I expect that is where you will see the greatest price erosion. In the short term, the CCFL sets will probably see the biggest percentage declines.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I recently purchased an end-of-line 40" Sharp (non-Quattron) full array backlit LED set myself for $900. Once properly adjusted, it's simply beautiful!

But how much farther will the price fall in the coming months? This particular set's original retail price was almost DOUBLE what I've paid for it! How much of a profit margin is left to trim down?

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The big cost in the last few years has been building plants capable of churning out 720p and then 1080p panels. These plants cost many billions to build so you have to sell a LOT of panels to amortize the capital cost.

Now that 1080p capable plants are built and well on the way to being paid for, the price should start falling towards the actual cost of production.

I expect prices will continue to fall over the next few years as panels become more of a commodity item.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts