Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am purchasing an LCD for a small room and have sort of narrowed it down to a 40" LCD from Samsung but wanted input. The model is the LN40C630, reason for selection of this model is it is 120hz, 4 HDMI input, PC Input etc. I haven't found a comparable in the same price category with the features.

Does anyone have experience with this TV and how good/bad it is, is there anything that you would look at purchasing over this model?

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
This is a good TV and you should be happy with it. Some of the alternatives are Sony (slightly more expensive) and LG (slightly less expensive). The deciding factors are; a good deal on purchase price, look and finish (including the stand), number of inputs required, and the look and feel of the remote control.

Viewing them side be side in the store means nothing as they will have different setup configurations.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I agree with Bplayer, however Samsung sets are known for clouding, possible you may get a set without clouding or clouding wouldn't be visible in normal viewing, however if you get a bad set hope you bought if from a place with a good return policy.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Set is being purchased from the US via Amazon so i'd like to avoid any TV's that have high rates of problems. The tv is about $750US with free shipping.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Are purchasing from Amazon based on price, and have you included the potential customs clearance charges and currency exchange rate? The price difference with these included compared to purchasing locally is not that big, and you may face some challenges if you need to return the product or have warranty service performed.

I never plan for problems but failures do happen.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have just purchased a week ago Samsung LCD's 46" 120hz and 40" 60hz.
They are the best pictures I have seen.
Will be buying another Samsung 40" in a few weeks.
Lots of inputs, wall mounted all.
Manual for operation very well wrote and easy to follow.
Sound good also.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A local store would have to drop the price by atleast $150 (assuming $1000 price based on visions.ca). Even with conversion it is below $850 + taxes.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have found that Costco for me have had pretty good prices which have to be watched for both store and manufacturer rebates which come up time to time.
Costco do not carry a large selection of any particular brand models but what they do have in store is usually a very good price with also I might add an extended warranty for 2 years.
Their return policy also is hard to ignore.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I have had a 40" Samsung LCD purchased fall of 2007. A month after the warranty expired the power supply went on account of bulged capacitors, a well known issue with Samsungs.

In the past six months it developed extremely bad clouding that made the TV unwatchable.

It is very likely that the newer 40" Samsung LCDs might have the power supply issue problem fixed but don't know about the clouding.

Here is the reply I received from Samsung just yesterday, are they in denial?

Thank you for submitting your inquiry to Samsung.

In reference to your email; thank you for taking the time to share with us your experience with Samsung. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this issue may have caused you. However, we regret to inform you that we are unable to accommodate your request for warranty coverage at this time due to the expiry of your limited warranty. We have confirmed with our Quality Control department that the model you own does not exhibit any widespread issues that may cause concerns. Furthermore, your specific unit does not have any service history that we may review for further consideration of your request. Therefore, we regret that if you wish to have your unit repaired you will be required to cover all necessary service costs. If you have any further inquiries regarding warranty terms and/or conditions please contact our customer care line at 1 800 SAMSUNG.

Thank you for your time and we appreciate your cooperation

I would really like to post the pictures I have of the clouding ... but don't believe there is a way.

·
Registered
52 Posts
andrew.r , you may try contacting Samsung again and mention your power supply problem is mentioned by others on a forum you belong to without having to mention the name of the forum as to keep them wondering if attention to this problem is further warranted.
Some companies look at a problem approaching a 1% failure rate as raising red flags for them with usually free board replacement if customer picks up the labour charges beyond the warranty period. Mention you would deliver and pick up to servicing dealer your tv.
1 to 2 hours is plenty for board exchange and testing time.
It's worth a try in any case.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Thanks for your suggestion Host, in my case I fixed the power supply by having four capacitors replaced. From what I have been able to learn about the clouding issue reading internet postings is that it can only be fixed with a panel replacement. This by far is the most serious problem making this TV totally unacceptable to watch. I have not been able to find out what is the true cause of this LCD clouding.

I just wanted to inform a potential buyer as to the problems that can occur with a Samsung LCD TV. However, Sony also has serious clouding issues with their LCD TVs, apparently they use the same panels.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Input Lag?

Does anyone know if this TV exhibits any significant input lag when using an XBox or PS3? I will be using an HDMI connection.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts