Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello guys,

I have a conventional 27" Trinitron, 4:3 ratio, CRT television and want to "upgrade" to an LCD but must match it's Picture Quality on 480i signal feed or better it while not diminishing it's 27", 4:3 viewing size surface or matching it as close as possible. If this LCD displays bigger than what I already have and keeps or betters the Viewing Picture Quality, that would be a great plus.

Any suggestions on the size and numbers for this LCD to fill my wants?

Here are the conditions:

- Maximum Viewing distance is up to 8 feet between my eyes and screen.
- Will be fed Standard Definition signal 480i
- Will view SD in 4:3 ratio (won't zoom or stretch) Yes will see black side bars
- Watch shows and fast sports
- Have no HD Channels
- Will use HDMI and Component cables
- PS3 will also be hooked-up (Games and Blu-Ray movies)

Any suggestions? I want them and thank you in advanced.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Keep your Trinitron, SD will look better on it than any new flat screen set. I see no point in spending a lot of money on a HD set if you don't have any HD channels. Now if you get some HD channels thats a different story.

·
Premium Member
9,238 Posts
For SD content, the Trinitron will likely perform better than an LCD (or other fixed-pixel display) TV, especially at that viewing distance.

For Blu-ray movies and up-converted DVDs (and likely games, too, although I don't have any personal experience with gaming), the LCD will outperform the Trinitron.

Consider which type of content will make up the bulk of your viewing, and base your TV purchase accordingly.

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
I see no point in spending a lot of money on a HD set if you don't have any HD channels.
I guess you missed the point where he mentioned Blu-Ray movies. There's no way any 4:3 set can match a HD set for Blu-Ray.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
At eight feet you should go minimum 46" for blu ray/hd content. Your sd viewing will suffer, but its acceptable with most hd sets and then you can grab some hd channels if you like as you would have the set to display them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts