Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 37" toshiba Regza lcd 37HL86 I've had it for about five years now and have been quite happy with it but now an odd thing has started to show up.

I noticed a few days ago a faint vertical dark line on each side of the screen. its a broad line that is not well defined. like a straight vertical smudge. It lines up perfectly with the edge of 4X5 picture when I use my STB on Standard def content. in that case its not an issue at all but with wide screen HD or DVD you can see it. also its darker on the left than the right. actually only just barely perceivable on the right and more noticeable on the left. its also more noticable with a very dark image or during a black out between show segments or when its a very bright scene. Its not disturbing at this point just there. pretty minor I just hope that it does not get worse.

any ideas what it could be?

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
"They" say that LCD isn't prone to burn in, at least not the same sort of burn in that a CRT or Plasma might experience. However, I've seen some older notebook LCD screens that definitely have uneven ware on them, meaning parts of the screen appear darker (or lighter) than others and it usually happens when a static image has been on the screen for a long time. You might want to stretch or zoom your SD material.

-Mike

·
Super Moderator
56,567 Posts
If the TV is rarely turned off, or if you have exactly the same image on it for years (like 4:3 SD), it is possible to get greyscale degradation as discussed in the following FAQ:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=21270

It would have to be pretty severe service, but it is possible and is rarely seen on home service. Do you turn the TV off regularly? How long is it on each day? Do you watch almost exclusively SD?

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It would have to be pretty severe service, but it is possible and is rarely seen on home service. Do you turn the TV off regularly? How long is it on each day? Do you watch almost exclusively SD?
its only on in the evenings when the Family is home. as far as 4X5 or 16X9 its a pure guess its about 50:50 when there is letter boxed SD content I usually enlarge/zoom it so it fills the screen. and HD is full screen anyway. I don't ever stretch regular 4X5 though, Never understood how people can watch egg shape wheels and people that look overweight.:eek:

Oh well its a strange one as I say its not disturbing yet. I hope it does not get worse or perhaps it will go away with luck.

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
It's LCD panel discolouration. It will never get better. A lot of LCD panels at Pearson airport have the same problem too.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Greetings

I congratulated by aunt in L.A. for successfully burning in something that was not supposed to burn in. 3 years of 4:3 viewing on her 40 inch sony LCD set. There is a line where the black bar meets the image ...

This is the third or forth time i have seen it. Last time was on my highschool buddy's 32 in samsung lcd unit.

Regards

·
Registered
520 Posts
I remember having a background image on my 19" IPS, the colours were really strong. Although it was a really good image, it burned in corners of the vehicle. To fix it, I left a completely white screen bright overnight to reburn it back to normal. I had forgotten to turn the monitor off, so the car was on there for a couple nights.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have pretty much the same issue on one of our 5+ year old LCD's. It has a white wash function which corrects some of it but it does come back. Worse, many of the pixels are red now on black backgrounds. I guess it has reached EOL but good enough for it's current purpose.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
update

As I had hoped but not expecting the line is fading away. its actually seems to be spreading out but far less dark, kind of like a minor stain. its only noticeable if there is just a blank screen now and not when there is a picture. so there is hope yet that the TV will survive a bit longer. Ive done nothing to change the aspects nor have I tried any of the fixes that have been sugested I just let nature take its course.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts