Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week my Windows Updates caused me no end of grief. In the end I uninstalled MMSE (since it reported it was not running) and I reinstalled it. The netbook and MMSE started working normally again. Now a week later the latest MS Updates have (which included another update for the MS Malicious Software Removal Tool) sent me into another troubleshooting session. The week before the Removal Tool was also my main suspect.

Symptoms include:

GUI slow to load after reboot.
MMSE icon missing from status bar.
Cannot open MSSE manually.
Sound and few other status bar icons missing.
CPU usage remaining elevated at 30%.
Explorer.exe using 20%.
MSSECES.EXE using 10%.
MSMPENG.EXE using 64MB ram.
Sluggish GUI.

As mentioned rebooting does not help. Next step is to see if MS had verified this issue or had a fix. Right now I am going to leave the processes running and see if it is scanning silently. I can see MSSE is running via the processes but doubt if it is being effective.

·
Super Moderator
11,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It is working now. I went back to Windows Update, scanned again with IE, and it found an update for MSSE. Not sure if IE played a part. Normally I wait for the notification to appear and launch the updated from the updater. Chrome is my default browser but the Windows Update Icon ignores that and runs IE anyway.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
I've frequently had problems with security software and MS updates. It's less common than it was but can still happen. This is especially true for large updates such as service packs, IE upgrades or MS Office that make major system updates. MS recommends that security software be uninstalled or disabled before such updates are installed. The standard/most often recommended procedure for security software problems is to uninstall and reinstall.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts