1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Yikes, I guess if I'm going to go to all the trouble of repartioning the hard drive, I had might as well upgrade to a 250Gb....

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
I think it's legit. The PS3 was recently hacked and I believe this was or atleast part of the backdoor. It's a rarely used feature and I was expecting this announcement.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Of course its legit, it was posted on the official blog. Linux support wasn't in the Slim version. My suspicion is that Linux support did little to juice sales and caused headaches so get rid of it.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I read a lot of the comments about this at PS3Fanboy.com, and most of them were hilarious. Lots of people upset because the feature is being removed, even though they admit they had never used it. I don't care that the Linux featured it being removed because I've never used it, and I never will, and I know the removal of the feature will keep the PS3 more secure. Yes, the system was hacked, and though the hacker claims he's against piracy, this was the first step towards it on a system that has been piracy-free up to this point.

Gord

·
Registered
681 Posts
I would think that the issue of Sony removing backwards compatibility on the PS3 was more too complain about then the removal of Linux support. It may be good maybe for emulator use but as far as a gaming consoles is concerned I don't think this will hurt too many PS3 owners. it should only hurt maybe techies. ;). It would be a good marketing strategy to bring back backwards compatibility that would get more people buying PS3s

·
Premium Member
3,996 Posts
There are two major differences between the two: backwards compatibility wasn't removed from PS3s that had it previously and people who bought post-removal PS3s knew so when they bought them (like people who bought Slims should have known they don't support Linux). Anyone who bought a PS3 with the intention of putting Linux on it (a small but real group) is getting screwed. They will either lose Linux or lose their PSN access.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Anyone who bought a PS3 with the intention of putting Linux on it (a small but real group) is getting screwed.
You don't have to upgrade if you really want Linux

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
yes thats tru but they basically crippled the system if you don't upgrade...

Its no biggy to me, what if anything is the positive side of the next upgrade. is there anything else happening?

·
Registered
41 Posts
So you buy a product that has a particular feature

Then years later the manufacturer decides to remove that feature

Pretty sure there is good grounds for a lawsuit here.

What if they next deside to remove software PS2 compatability? or maybe remove Blueray playback?

You can't remove features from a product years after release and not expect reprocussions.

It'll be interesting to see what happens with this.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
I wonder if Sony's decision has to do with how easy it is to replicate a Blu-ray disc on a PS3 using Linux using standard UNIX commands? :eek:

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
Then years later the manufacturer decides to remove that feature.
Pretty sure there is good grounds for a lawsuit here.
There may be in some jurisdictions. I haven't read the PS3 license/agreement but most software/firmware agreements are pretty liberal in allowing the maker to update or change features with no compensation to the consumer. The system buyer can choose to decline and return the product within a short time frame if they don't agree. Otherwise, the system maker's right to make firmware updates that add, change or remove features is accepted.

I wonder if Sony's decision has to do with how easy it is to replicate a Blu-ray disc on a PS3 using Linux using standard UNIX commands?
I suspect it is their only reason. Such capability violates Sony's own Blu-ray technology licensing agreement. Sony has no choice but to disable any feature or device that allows Blu-ray movie piracy. The backlash toward Sony and resulting lawsuits within the entertainment industry would be unprecedented.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Well, there's been talk that someone has "hacked" the PS3. Now, you can't play pirated games on it yet, but people have seen this as the first step towards it, so Sony is getting rid of the loophole before it turns into a problem they can't get a handle on.

I expect this will be an example of the vocal minority. I doubt most people even knew they could install Linux on the machine.

akmeikle, you can't compare this to getting rid of Blu-ray playback. That's a main feature of the machine, and Sony would have no reason to remove the feature.

I doubt any lawsuit would hold up, as Sony isn't forcing people to upgrade. Want to run Linux on the machine? Don't upgrade.

Gord

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
I was running Linux, but only as a curiousity. I won't miss it, especially since my Macs run on a UNIX core anyways.

Faced with needing to remove the linux and swap partition off my PS3, I opted to upgrade the whole thing to a 320GB for $72. No biggy.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I find little reason to be overly upset about dropping linux support, since it was crippled to start with (graphics hardware locked out), and linux is far more useful to play with on an old laptop or desktop PC with more inputs and peripherals to play with.

What I want to see from PS3 in the future though, would be better video file support (MKVs, more audio formats in MP4/M4V files and better divx/xvid AVI support), and improve backwards compatibility to PS2 games/add it to newer gen PS3s/slim.

I *still* have favorite PS2 games which I need my PS2 connected to play, and would love to be able to retire my old PS2 slim sometime soon. a way to copy the PS2 memory card data to my PS3 would be a nice bonus, but even if I have to replay some old games, it would be ok.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
You can copy save games. You can buy a memory card USB adapter for the PS3. I use mine all the time. Works for both the PS1 and 2 memory cards. I find it great when paired with my PS2 and my "gameshark". I'll load one of my PS2 games with the shark or whatever, give myself max gold or something and save it to the card. Then plug it into my PS3 and away I go! It's like adding your own replay value!

I find it odd there are less and less 3rd party accessories each generation. I understand that the gamesharks and stuff would probably be far to difficult to do but even the 3rd party controllers with auto-fire and stuff. Like the gameshark If I were replaying a favorite RPG and wanted to cheat I'd find a good spot, wrap an elastic around the 2 analog knobs so I would run in a circle and set auto-attack on the auto-fire controller and go to bed :p

·
Registered
274 Posts
The real point that many gloss over is that while many may not have used the Other OS feature, there are those who did. This was a major selling point for the system back during initial launch and as recently as last month Sony was reassuring users that Other OS would continue to be supported and not removed in future firmware updates.

Cell programmers and several businesses utilized this functionality on the system. Those businesses are now closing shop due to Sony's decision and cell programmers are forced to give up all the other functionality that they payed for already going forward in the name of "security".

People that would like to pirate however will not update and will probably get the ability to run Other OS as well as game through custom firmware now that the hacker community has been provoked. Only the legitmate users of Other OS will be punished by this move which is the real shame of it all. :(

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Cell programmers and several businesses utilized this functionality on the system. Those businesses are now closing shop due to Sony's decision and cell programmers are forced to give up all the other functionality that they payed for already going forward in the name of "security". (
Oh come on. They're closing up shop because of this? If these machines are being run by companies, and this is vital to their operation, why on Earth are they updating the PS3s? Sony made it VERY clear what the update would do. If these companies want to play games as well then they can buy another PS3 for $300.

Gord

·
Registered
274 Posts
You misunderstand. Their business is based on selling products to Other OS users; not on running it themselves. Science labs/military/government running PS3 clusters simply will not update as you pointed out.

As for point 2; that makes no sense. Sony sold us the system with functionality then removed it from already sold systems so we should have to buy something else to replace it? Removing it from systems going forward as they did with SACD, 2 of the USB ports and backwards compatibility is one thing as that user bought their system that way but removing it from an already sold product is at the least unethical.

That would be like saying, the Blu-Ray player I sold you can play pirated DVDs so install this firmware to remove DVD playback or don't and lose the ability to play Blu-Rays. Sure, there are real DVDs but I don't want to take the chance someone will pirate. And it's an "option" so you can choose to still play any DVDs if you want! You're response then would be, sure, I'll install the firmware to prevent piracy and I'll go buy a DVD player with my own money as well so that I can continue to play my DVD collection even though I already bought this first piece of equipment that was sold to me with the ability to do both.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts